What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brent Kite Signs with Manly for 4 Years

Langers

Juniors
MEDIA RELEASE MANLY SIGN BK 2 FOR FOUR YEARS
The Manly Sea Eagles today announced the club's second major signing in the past week when blockbusting young St. George Illawarra forward Brent Kite agreed to a four year year contract.

Kite turned his back on seven NRL clubs and St.George Illawarra to follow Newcastle Test star Ben Kennedy to the Sea Eagles.

The strapping 23 year old (105 kgs, 190 cms) has been the most keenly sought after forward in the NRL following the Dragons move to allow him to test the open market recently.

Kite made a secret visit to the peninsula area last Saturday with his partner before deciding to become a Sea Eagle.

Manly executive director Paul Cummings said Kite's signing on the back of Ben Kennedy's decision is a massive boost for the club.

"To sign a Test forward of great standing and a current young NSW State of Origin forward inside a week is an indication that elite players see a big future in the Manly Sea Eagles.

"We have some of the best young talent in the NRL signed for lengthy periods - the arrival of Kennedy and Kite will accelerate their progress and Manly's return to its rightful position in the game," Mr.Cummings said.

Coach Des Hasler said the signing of Kite was tremendous news.

"Everyone kept telling us that he was off to Canberra but we were quietly confident that he saw a future in Manly that excited him.

"It is a definite coup - he is one of the best young forwards in the game and is in outstanding form in a very good Dragons side," Hasler said.

Kite said he is glad he has made a decision about his long term future.

"It wasn't an easy decision - I have loved my time at St.George Illawarra and will give them everything I've got for the rest of the season.

"But I am very excited about the future at Manly and their professional approach in my dealings with them once I was allowed to test the market.

"They have some fine young talent and I can't wait to play in the same pack as Steve Menzies and Ben Kennedy," Kite said.

Kite's manager Darryl Mather said Kite was very much in demand following a
great season.

"Almost every club expressed an interest but in the end the direction the Sea Eagles are seemingly headed was the big difference," Mather said.

Kite will sign his new four year contract with Manly tomorrow.

Johns Magic

Referee
Great news for Manly. I'm surprised he signed such a long-term deal. Hope to see him play well for you for the next few years.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
While im not suprised to see him sign with Manly im suprised to see him sign for 4 years. He must think Manly provides a future for him.

Langers

Juniors
I'm confident Manly have a bright future. It is a credit to the club that even when we are at the bottom of the table that we can attract players like Brent Kite and Ben Kennedy to the club. Hopefully Brett Stewart, Anthony Watmough, Jason, King, Chad Randall and Sam Harris all kick on now.

lolesi

First Grade
I do not understand, Manly have already got 2 top Backrowers in Harris and Watmough, then they go buy Kennedy and Kite.
You look at there backline, centres they have Hicks, who i feel is a winger with donald, then what else? Torrens! #-o
For me they should be going for a centre

Dragons Cross

Juniors
Kites a prop, he was crap for the last few years as a backrower and the swith this year to prop has seen a massive improvement in his game. You can never have enough props i think

I think Kite will play front row, and I have no doubt that they'll throw everything at either Tahu or Monaghan after June 30, including one of those rediculous "signing bonuses" worth $350,000 that will count towards this year's cap because they've sold out and got a crapload more cash, and then they'll give them a much smaller contract for next year like they did with Kite... :roll:

If you ask me that practice should be outlawed.

lolesi said:
I do not understand, Manly have already got 2 top Backrowers in Harris and Watmough, then they go buy Kennedy and Kite.
You look at there backline, centres they have Hicks, who i feel is a winger with donald, then what else? Torrens! #-o
For me they should be going for a centre

You don't become successful by buying outside backs; you do it by buying forwards, forwards, forwards. Then when you think you've got enough forwards, you buy a few more.

Earl

Coach
Brent Kite has become the player he is atm as a front rower. He has proved in the past he is a shit back rower.

Dragons Cross

Juniors
I Bleed Green said:
I think Kite will play front row, and I have no doubt that they'll throw everything at either Tahu or Monaghan after June 30, including one of those rediculous "signing bonuses" worth $350,000 that will count towards this year's cap because they've sold out and got a crapload more cash, and then they'll give them a much smaller contract for next year like they did with Kite... :roll:

You're just dirty that he didn't sign with the Raiders IBG. They should have kept him in the first place, he always had potential.

Dragons Cross said:
I Bleed Green said:

You're just dirty that he didn't sign with the Raiders IBG. They should have kept him in the first place, he always had potential.

I knew this would come up. In a sense I agree, we should never have let him go, the Dragons developed him into the great player that he is today. I'm not dirty that we lost him, in a way I'm kinda glad as this will free up more money to retain Wiki and Monaghan.

That's not what I brought this up. I just find it very immoral for a club to offer someone a signing bonus straight away that is a large sum of money that will count towards this year's cap, when he won't be playing with them until next year.

Do you see what I mean? I'm not trying to be bitter or anything and I know it's inside the rules, it just seems wrong.

Dragons Cross

Juniors
I know what you mean but if a team couldn't afford to spend the full cap and have sorted themselves out and now have the funds I don't have a problem with it. I can definetely see your point though, if the same thing happened to us I be dirty but we haven't bought a big name player since we got Mundine back from the Broncs.

Raider_69

Post Whore
im happy as a calm
more cash for us to throw at monnas and wiki and less for manly to throw at them
:mrgreen:

Dragons Cross said:
I know what you mean but if a team couldn't afford to spend the full cap and have sorted themselves out and now have the funds I don't have a problem with it. I can definetely see your point though, if the same thing happened to us I be dirty but we haven't bought a big name player since we got Mundine back from the Broncs.

I'm all for Manly being more even in terms of finances so they can afford more quality players, the competition will be a lot more even that way. It just seems wrong to pay a player a large sum of money that will count under this year's cap when they won't be playing for them until next year.

I dunno, that's just how I feel.

ngunity

Juniors
Renowned League Expert said:
You don't become successful by buying outside backs; you do it by buying forwards, forwards, forwards. Then when you think you've got enough forwards, you buy a few more.

That didn't exactly work for Brian Smith this year, who remembers his bigger is better philisophy?!

Maybe you meant buy GOOD forwards RLE? That's what Brian Smith musta done wrong!

Kiwi

First Grade
I Bleed Green said:
Dragons Cross said:
I Bleed Green said:

I knew this would come up. In a sense I agree, we should never have let him go, the Dragons developed him into the great player that he is today. I'm not dirty that we lost him, in a way I'm kinda glad as this will free up more money to retain Wiki and Monaghan.

That's not what I brought this up. I just find it very immoral for a club to offer someone a signing bonus straight away that is a large sum of money that will count towards this year's cap, when he won't be playing with them until next year.

Do you see what I mean? I'm not trying to be bitter or anything and I know it's inside the rules, it just seems wrong.

It's an advantage Manly has because they didn't use all their cap for this year. They are using that advantage, whats wrong with that?

drake

First Grade
Hopefully next year Kitey will confuse his feet and his hands again, so that Manly supporters can hold their breath every time he catches the ball, like we used to.