What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Stewart found not guilty of sexual assault

TheDalek079

Bench
so that stats he wasn't drunk, but didn't he come out later that week and say he was so drunk that he couldn't remember anything?

TheDalek079

Bench
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html

I was too drunk to remember anything, says Brett Stewart
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Josh Massoud and Paul Kent

March 10, 2009 12:00am

MANLY fullback Brett Stewart was so drunk he cannot remember allegedly attacking a teenage girl but witnesses claim the footballer had to be pulled off the 17-year-old.

Police witnesses told The Daily Telegraph Stewart exited the taxi that had ferried him home from Manly's season launch and crash tackled the girl. Shocked onlookers said they had to pull him off the girl, who had been smoking a cigarette outside her home.

The Daily Telegraph has learned the diabetic Manly star was so drunk he could not immediately remember what took place.

Sources close to the inquiry revealed Stewart had consumed so much alcohol beforehand that he was unable to recall details of the alleged incident when taken into custody by police about 8pm last Friday.

When asked to confirm the allegations, his lawyer Geoff Bellew replied: "I am unable to comment about that because it's a matter of client privilege." But Mr Bellew denied suggestions Stewart had declined to be interviewed because he was too drunk. "That's absolutely, totally wrong," he said.

Stewart has since denied allegations that he sexually assaulted the girl at a North Manly apartment complex.

As the investigation continues, it emerged the Sea Eagles are also considering defying the NRL's wishes and a groundswell of public opinion by playing Stewart - even if he is charged by police.

Chief executive Grant Mayer refused to comment on his future yesterday. "There's no doubt that if things progress throughout the week the board will meet and discuss it. At this stage it is an allegation," he said.

Privately, the club has already sought legal opinion and was told the NRL has no legal standing to ban Stewart from playing.

If charged, it is understood the Sea Eagles are prepared to continue playing him until he faces court, as other players have done in the past.

The NRL's stance on whether players should be stood down depends heavily on the players response to the accusations - in this instance, Stewart has denied the accusation.

NRL boss David Gallop said: "If it was a clearly established fact that a player had committed a sexual assault he would not be playing."

Stewart declined to be interviewed after being arrested and was released without charge.

The 24-year-old had spent the entire afternoon at Manly's 2009 season launch, where he was spotted drinking heavily with team mates.

He returned to the complex - where he also lives - in a taxi about 7.30pm. The girl and her father, both of whom cannot be named for legal reasons, have said she was smoking a cigarette at the front of the complex when Stewart arrived.

Stewart was later arrested and taken to Dee Why police station. He made his first appearance since Friday at Manly training yesterday.

Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler will today name him at fullback for Saturday clash against the Bulldogs.

His on-going selection comes as the Balmain Tigers stood down five NSW Cup players who allegedly raped a 23-year-old woman on the Sunshine Coast after a trial match two Saturday ago. The Daily Telegraph understands all five players have been put on ice until the outcome of the investigation.

just DT trash, but that suggests he was drunk.

yet:

Ms Marin said Stewart was in full control of his faculties and not drunk, as the 17-year-old complainant and her family has alleged.

which is right?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Pretty sure the purpose of the trial is to attempt to establish facts, you can't necessarily dismiss that claim yet.

One thing is for certain, he could not possibly have been completely sober or "in full control", there is television footage of him drinking with the club at the "boozy season launch" earlier in the evening.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i heard on the news the other night that the taxi driver who dropped him off testified that he was drunk

not sure how drunk

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/7961728/dont-prejudge-brett-stewart-jury-told

The jury of five women and seven men on Wednesday afternoon heard from three prosecution witnesses, including a security guard who worked at the Steyne Hotel where Stewart was drinking on the day of the allegations.

"I've seen a lot of intoxicated people in my job and I think Brett was drunk," Ezekiel Tupou told police in a statement.

Giving evidence on Wednesday, Mr Tupou said he remembered asking Stewart and "his friends" who were sitting in the pub's beer garden, to leave the hotel. They complied.

Timmah

Staff member
A Manly supporters forum (which you need to log in to view) is not a "source"

Beachy Eagle

Juniors
So the DT claims he was so drunk that he exited the cab and crash tackled the Girl, but in the trial the girl says they were having a conversation for a "while" and then he stuck his tonge into her mouth.
So the DT claims are crap, he has acknowledged he was intoxicated but not drunk.
I guess the truth is somewhere in there.

MSIH

Bench
I thought it happened in a stairwell? Or did he get out of the cab and crash tackle her? Didn't the old man have to pull him off her? All allegedly bullsh*t.

The DT are allegedly a disgrace and allegedly deserve to be sued to high allegedly heaven.

full of sh*t

it contained the word "we" and also had some very serioius allegations that were unsubstantiated and incorrrect

As ive already said, I made NO specific allegations in my post you deleted. Dont know why your suggesting the word "we" had any connotations as it has no real meaning in what I posted.

So drop the little hitler syndrome or stop lying to people here to cover up your failure to comprehend the meaning of my post.

Timmah

Staff member
Your post contained allegations which were not based on fact. Leaving them on the site exposes the owners of this site to lawsuits.

Your post was deleted. End of story.

That is just a complete untruth by both you & El D.

If you pair of dropkicks think that anything in my post could constitute a legal issue for this site then you really do need to obtain some common sense.

You say I made some sort of unsubstantiated allegation.

An allegation about who ?

An allegation about what ?

You cant answer it as there was none.

The best part of your post was the bit about "end of story". You sound very authoritive :D

Latest posts