What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Stewart found not guilty of sexual assault

skeepe

Immortal
I find it strange that this story of the girl trying to kiss him has come out for the first time now, and that at no stage did Stewart or his girlfriend tell the police this in any of their interviews.

sretsoor

Juniors
I find it strange that this story of the girl trying to kiss him has come out for the first time now, and that at no stage did Stewart or his girlfriend tell the police this in any of their interviews.

To be honest, I dont think they have said anything up until now and who could blame them, the media had already found him guilty of rape in the first 48 hrs. Best to wait for your time in court which is what they have done.

Patorick

Staff member
It's almost like he had the right to remain silent or something...

Stewart shouldnt have to defend himself in the media.

and if I may ask how do you know the police were not told this in the interviews? have the transcripts been released or have the police made a statement? ( honest question)

El Diablo

Post Whore
Stewart shouldnt have to defend himself in the media.

and if I may ask how do you know the police were not told this in the interviews? have the transcripts been released or have the police made a statement? ( honest question)

because the prosecutor said so http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ried-to-kiss-him/story-e6freuy9-1225928318001

Ms Baker told Stewart's barrister, Tony Bellanto QC, that after she went inside with Stewart she asked him what had happened.

"Brett mentioned a young girl tried to kiss him down at the front gate," she said.

Ms Baker agreed with crown prosecutor Peter Skinner that she had not mentioned her boyfriend telling her about the kissing attempt in her police interview or in a statement prepared by a solicitor.

But she said at those times "my head was not in the right place'' and she had been depressed.

Mr Skinner suggested she had never told anyone related to the prosecution or police about the kissing incident until she gave her evidence in the witness box.

"From what you are telling me now, yes," she replied.

fred95

Juniors
Claims of sexual assault tend to be rather serious...
Yes thats true, after reading the many posts by Manly supporters and tonights chanel 9 newscast, featuring Stewarts accusations, I now believe the plaintiff was the agressor and will be charged with drunkardly assaulting forcing her tongue into the young mans mouth and digitally raping him.

Evenflow

Bench
It's almost like he had the right to remain silent or something...

Well you'd think if someone was accusing you of sexual assault and it was actually the alleged victim who initiated it, it'd be the first thing you'd tell the police and certainly wouldn't remain silent about it.......

manly40gimps0

Juniors
Well you'd think if someone was accusing you of sexual assault and it was actually the alleged victim who initiated it, it'd be the first thing you'd tell the police and certainly wouldn't remain silent about it.......
Yeah you're right. It would be better than changing your story three times.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors

Nothing has come out about Stewart's story changing. His girlfriend never reported that he told her the girl tried to kiss him.

But once again people make assumptions base on small articles in the media. I have read about every witness and what they have said (except for the couple that have been supressed) from somebody that has attended every day of the trial. From what I have heard Brett Stewart's story sounds far more likely than the complainant's.

Unfortunately mud sticks and the media have made sure that stupid people will forever see him as guilty, even if he is not found to be guilty.

effnic

Bench
Nothing has come out about Stewart's story changing. His girlfriend never reported that he told her the girl tried to kiss him.

But once again people make assumptions base on small articles in the media. I have read about every witness and what they have said (except for the couple that have been supressed) from somebody that has attended every day of the trial. From what I have heard Brett Stewart's story sounds far more likely than the complainant's.

Unfortunately mud sticks and the media have made sure that stupid people will forever see him as guilty, even if he is not found to be guilty.

Exactly. The sad thing is LU forums are filled with them.

Garts

Bench
From what has come out in the papers and from people who have attended court it seems like he will get off IMO. Brett was a cleanskin and the talk of the girls mental issues, dodgy father, conflicting stories and lack of dna will make it hard for the jury to come back with a guilty verdict.

Evenflow

Bench

But once again people make assumptions base on small articles in the media.

I never said nor implied that Stewart changed his story, what i did say is that if the girl came onto him surely you wouldn't use your right to remain silent when first questioned about the matter given the importance of such a detail.

Cletus

First Grade
I never said nor implied that Stewart changed his story, what i did say is that if the girl came onto him surely you wouldn't use your right to remain silent when first questioned about the matter given the importance of such a detail.

How do you know he didn't tell the police that. He made a statement at the time and the prosecutor cross-examined him and didn't ask that question. But he did ask his girlfriend about that.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors

Stewart's side of the story has never come out in the media, it does not mean he never told his story when interviewed by the police. It was also stated in court by the cops that Stewart instantly said yes to have DNA tests taken when his lawyer said he did not have to.

The only way the crown can justify why Stewart would do something so stupid and out of charater is to say that he was so drunk that he was out of control. However, the defence witnesses with him that night have said he was in complete control of his actions, and the crown witnesses (including cops and the taxi driver) have all painted a picture of a bloke who was moderately intoxicated yet still competent and in control.

I feel terrible for the bloke because I honestly believe he has done nothing wrong, yet his life has been ruined for the last two years. Whilst I think the allegations are false, I'm not sure whether this girl honestly believes what she is saying or not. She may not be 'lying' as such, but actually thinks something has happened when in actual fact what Stewart is saying is the truth. She may just be a sick and confused girl who's story got pushed further and further by her dodgy (and as several of the cops said "overbearing") dad. But that is just my own speculation, no need to delete another of my posts on this topic.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/stewart-media-deals/

Stewart media deals

24 Sep 10 @ 04:09pm

SEA Eagles fullback Brett Stewart is weighing up his media options for his first interview following his sexual assault trial.

The Manly flyer has spent the past week in the Downing Centre Court. A verdict is expected on Tuesday.

A day has not gone by without his manager, Manly-based George Mimis, standing by his client’s side.

Along with Stewart’s entire immediate family, including brother Glenn and partner Jaime Baker, the former Australian fullback has been strongly supported in court.

Among the Sea Eagles to support their mate in court have been Anthony Watmough, Michael Robertson, David Williams, Des Hasler, Jason King, Don Singe, Peter Peters, and Andre Rickenbach.

The past 18 months have not only taken an emotional toll on Stewart, but financially draining with a mounting legal bill.

A long line of media outlets have all pitched in for Stewart’s first interview, but we hear a combined deal will be struck between a magazine and a leading media outlet.

err you have to be found not guilty first

Dutchy

Immortal
No quotes from Stewart or anything El D. Figured you would be one not to get dragged in my Media bullsh*t, or is that only when it suits your agendas?