What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Stewart found not guilty of sexual assault

MSIH

Bench
It's my opinion from all that I have read and heard that Brett Stewart did nothing wrong at all, and should be found not-guilty accordingly.

Patsy

Juniors
from what i have seen & read i find it hard to believe it got as far as it has i.e. into the court room. but i don't understand the legal system.

as for counting towards the cap, has it been confirmed that manly are paying for it?

i cant see why it should count especially if proven to be innocent.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
sure

and even if he had they'd be Manly cheer crew

We are getting our news from a reporer at the trial, who cares that he is a Manly fan. It doesn't change the facts. He is simply reporting on each witness and what they said. It is much more thorough than anything reported on the news or in the papers, therefore we do know much more about the case than you. No one else was there so we don't know the truth for sure, but common sense and the evidence shown seems to suggests his story sounds much more plausible, in my opinon.

Your bias against Stewart is just as strong as our bias for him.I bet if it was a Parramatta player you would be singing a different tune.

badav

Bench
It's my opinion from all that I have read and heard that Brett Stewart did nothing wrong at all, and should be found not-guilty accordingly.

You wouldn't be getting anywhere near the full and objective facts from whats reported in newspapers. You'd be pretty naive if you believed that you were. Of course Manly fans are going to form the opinion you have. Because you take what you want to hear and believe out of the limited information presented to the public.

But i do agree that its likely he will be found not guilty, even if he did do whats alleged. Hot shot defense lawyers and Manly aren't going to let an NRL poster boy go down in flames.

badav

Bench
from what i have seen & read i find it hard to believe it got as far as it has i.e. into the court room. but i don't understand the legal system.

Thats because you don't have all the facts infront of you.

Suffice to say that the police and the DPP will not bother to take a case to trial if they don't think that there is a reasonable chance of conviction.

After being charged it may have to go through the committal hearing process to determine whether he has a case to answer ie: Whether there is enough evidence to determine defendant has a case to answer through a trial process. It will not go to trial if its a bullsh*t case with no evidence to convict. The DPP will not waste resources taking on cases where they don't think they can convict.

There are most certainly some facts that aren't being presented to the public in full. I don't have any recollection of the findings from Brett Stewart's committal hearing, but the facts on which the findings (that he had a case to answer at trial) would be interesting. Especially to Manly fans who made up their minds he was innocent from day 1.

Last edited:

MSIH

Bench
You wouldn't be getting anywhere near the full and objective facts from whats reported in newspapers. You'd be pretty naive if you believed that you were. Of course Manly fans are going to form the opinion you have. Because you take what you want to hear and believe out of the limited information presented to the public.

But i do agree that its likely he will be found not guilty, even if he did do whats alleged. Hot shot defense lawyers and Manly aren't going to let an NRL poster boy go down in flames.

Yeah, yeah. Why not read a few posts in the last few pages of the thread and you will see that we are getting daily reports of the trial. There is no way this should ever have gone to trial imo.

^_^

Juniors

badav forget the newspapers we have been reading day by day updates from a journo on the court proceedings with all the evidence that was not supressed. Unless you have read through these reports you really have no idea of the specific evidence they used against Stewart in court. I can not believe it went this far.

MSIH

Bench
Thats because you don't have all the facts infront of you.

Suffice to say that the police and the DPP will not bother to take a case to trial if they don't think that there is a reasonable chance of conviction.

After being charged it may have to go through the committal hearing process to determine whether he has a case to answer ie: Whether there is enough evidence to determine defendant has a case to answer through a trial process. It will not go to trial if its a bullsh*t case with no evidence to convict. The DPP will not waste resources taking on cases where they don't think they can convict.

There are most certainly some facts that aren't being presented to the public in full. I don't have any recollection of the findings from Brett Stewart's committal hearing, but the facts on which the findings (that he had a case to answer at trial) would be interesting. Especially to Manly fans who made up their minds he was innocent from day 1.

You did legal studies did you? Thanks for the run down on what a committal hearing is. You're the naive one if you think the DPP don't waste resources.

The DPP have brought flimsy cases for years, for various reasons. This appears to be another one.

I hadn't commented on his guilt or innocence until I'd started finding out detailed facts from the trial (not from a major media outlet who had Stewart hung, drawn and quartered from day one).

Evenflow

Bench
I'm also of the opinion that he'll be found not guilty. Given the he said she said nature of the eveidence that's been given i can't see the jury finding him guilty beyond all reasonable doubt which is what they need to do to convict him. You'd have to think there'll be at least one juror who has some sort of doubt as to what version took place hence he'll get off.

That doesn't mean i think he's innocent though. Hey, if it's ok for manly fans to believe he's 100% innocent from the evidence presented it's every bit ok for a non manly fan to believe he's guilty. Though i'm sure my opinion in most of their eyes will be somehow less valid than theirs :sarcasm:

Cletus

First Grade
Well I think he's innocent. i wasn't sure before the trial but the evidence doesn't make a lot of sense. He was twenty metres away from his girlfriend, tells the accuser he doesn't like smoking then kisses her and gropes her? Then he calls everone 'bro' and threatens to kill the accuser and her family? I call bullsh*t.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Yeah, yeah. Why not read a few posts in the last few pages of the thread and you will see that we are getting daily reports of the trial. There is no way this should ever have gone to trial imo.

:lol:

sounds like your court reporter is as dodgy as f**k

only hearing what he wants to hear

Cletus

First Grade

He is biased but he's there as a reporter and just reports the testimony. The only thing that gets in the media is when a witness breaks down and cries.

MSIH

Bench
I'm also of the opinion that he'll be found not guilty. Given the he said she said nature of the eveidence that's been given i can't see the jury finding him guilty beyond all reasonable doubt which is what they need to do to convict him. You'd have to think there'll be at least one juror who has some sort of doubt as to what version took place hence he'll get off.

That doesn't mean i think he's innocent though. Hey, if it's ok for manly fans to believe he's 100% innocent from the evidence presented it's every bit ok for a non manly fan to believe he's guilty. Though i'm sure my opinion in most of their eyes will be somehow less valid than theirs :sarcasm:

You lose because you're basing your opinion from what you've read in the Daily Telegraph.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors

You're a complete wanker, what's wrong with you? He has a personal opinon but he is still reporting the facts. Do you think the telegraph isn't trying to sensationalise the case and make him look guilty so they can sell more papers?

How can anyone think this story makes complete sense? No matter what state he was in why would he sexually assault a "small and stocky" girl who "looked 13 or 14" when he was only meters away from his home and his girlfriend. He called his girlfriend telling her he was on his way home, do you think it makes sense he would just have a quick sexual assault in between the call and getting home? Especially being so famous and knowing what happens to footballers who do the wrong thing.

With Stewart's clean history, and this girls mental medical history plus her fathers criminal history why do peope find it so hard to believe Stewart. Just because the case has gone to trial, it doesn't automatically mean he is guilty. I have heard a reason why this case was always going to go this far, but I don't want another post deleted so I'll leave it at that.

Last edited: