What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Stewart found not guilty of sexual assault

Stagger eel

Staff member
Is the NRL finally going to stop this nonsense about running workshops etc teaching the players to respect women, and instead keep it real and start teaching them to watch their back at all times cos bitches is out to get them?

I'm sure you're fortunate that your bitch isn't out to get you..

way to win friends and influence people..

Lambretta

First Grade
So technically he could try and recover costs if they came out of his own pocket as he has been found not guilty (and obviously falsely accused).

For shame on the NRL for not allowing the club to pay his legal bills.

He probably wont pursue it, but personally I hope he goes for costs against the dumb s**t and her fraudster dad.
I also hope they have to sell their f**king house to pay some of it back, then again maybe I assume wrong as it is most likely that brain dead sh*t like the scum discussed above probably wont even own a house.

You can only get money out of someone that has it or has the potential to earn it.

I seem to remember reading that the people who accused Brett were renting in the same complex as Brett owned in. I doubt they have any assets to chase.

Everything about the case screamed opportunism and fraud from the outset due to the situation that League found itself in during the early part of 2009.

I believe that at almost any other time the Crown would not have thought they could gain a conviction.

I know someone who is a Barrister. I might ask his opinion of the case against Brett in case I am completely wrong.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
You can only get money out of someone that has it or has the potential to earn it.

I seem to remember reading that the people who accused Brett were renting in the same complex as Brett owned in. I doubt they have any assets to chase.

Stewart's lawyer (or maybe his manager I can't exactly recall) has said that this family were evicted from Brett's old housing complex for not paying rent. However the douche bag father told the media that he had to move because of the backlash fro Manly fans. This fraudster should never have been let out of jail.

I don't think it would ever be possible to sue the complainant, but I'm sure there is potential for him to go after a couple of the media outlets.

russ13

First Grade
FitzSimons said nothing about it in his column this morning:lol:

Remember this:
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2009/s2514784.htm
Controversy dogs NRL season kick-off

Print
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Broadcast: 12/03/2009
Reporter: Sharon O'Neill

The National Rugby League season kicks off this weekend, once again bogged down in controversy over alcohol and allegations of assault. This time the drama surrounds last year’s premiers, the Manly Sea Eagles and their star player Brett Stewart. Stewart was this week charged with sexual assault and the club fined by the NRL after an alcohol-fuelled season launch went horribly wrong.

Transcript

KERRY O'BRIEN, PRESENTER: The National Rugby League season kicks off this weekend, once again bogged down in controversy over alcohol and allegations of assault.

This time the drama surrounds last year's premiers, the Manly Sea Eagles and their star player Brett Stewart.

Stewart was this week charged with sexual assault, and the club fined by the NRL after an alcohol fuelled season launch went horribly wrong.

The NRL has said 'Enough is enough' and has warned its clubs that bad behaviour won't be tolerated anymore.

Sharon O’Neill reports.

SHARON O’NEILL, REPORTER: He was the golden boy of the national rugby league, a star of the 2008 premiership winning club, full back in the Australian test side, and the face of this year's competition.

DAVID GALLOP, NRL CHIEF EXECUTIVE: Our campaign was designed around a young boy morphing into Brett Stewart.

PETER FITZSIMONS, COLUMNIST, 'SYDNEY MORNING HERALD': The worst phone call that David Gallop could get is to say that "Your poster boy, the one you've put on your calendar, for your year as The One has been arrested on a charge of sexual assault last night.'

It couldn't get much worse than that.

SHARON O’NEILL: The trouble for Brett Stewart began last Friday when his club, the Manly Sea Eagles, hosted a lunchtime season launch at the Manly Wharf Hotel on Sydney's Northern Beaches.

PETER FITZSIMONS: And a part of the culture seems to be 'Good time equals drunk. Fantastic time equals pissed out of my mind.'

SHARON O’NEILL: Stewart was drinking so heavily that he was eventually thrown out of the hotel.

At eight o'clock that night, having caught a taxi home, he allegedly sexually assaulted a 17-year old girl who was having a cigarette outside her family's townhouse.

NEWS READER: Once again the NRL is dealing with a sex scandal.

NEWS READER 2: The court order banning Manly's Brett Stewart from returning to his home has been extended for another month.

SHARON O’NEILL: On Tuesday night Brett Stewart was charged by police with one count of sexual assault and released on bail.

Hours later, after a lengthy board meeting, the Manly club decided the charges against Stewart did not warrant any action against him.

MANLY SEA EAGLES REPRESENTATIVE: Brett Stewart will play on Saturday night.

SHARON O’NEILL: For David Gallop, chief executive of the NRL, it was an intolerable situation. Within hours of Manly's decision the NRL decided it would ban Stewart for four matches and fine the Manly Sea Eagles $100,000.

But it was not the sexual assault charge which incurred the penalty.

DAVID GALLOP: On this occasion, clearly we felt that there were other parts to the episode which warranted a penalty, and we would leave the sexual assault allegation to the police and the courts at this point.

SHANE RICHARDSON, SOUTH’S CHIEF EXECUTIVE: David Gallop has made a stance. He's said 'This is not good enough and if you're not going to step into the breach, I am.' That's a great thing for our game.

SHARON O’NEILL: At South Sydney Rugby League Club the players are regularly breath tested to ensure they do not breach the club's 0.5 alcohol limit.

Last year the club dropped four of its players from match games when they failed the breath test.

SHANE RICHARDSON: It was a difficult decision but it was a decision the players made themselves and with the coach. They set the standard and when that standard was broken they made the decision that that’s what should happen.

(Extract, VB Gold advertisement)

VOICEOVER: Simply buy yourself a slab of VB Gold at a Cellarbrations or BottleO store in Queensland and -

(Extract, ends)

SHARON O’NEILL: The Brett Stewart incident has renewed calls for an end to the heavy sponsorship of rugby league by alcohol companies.

PROFESSOR SANDRA JONES, UNIVERSITY OF WOLLONGONG: If you look at sports like the Olympics and the soccer, they're sponsored by telephone companies, credit card companies, insurance companies, car manufacturers.

So there are lots of organisations that have money and are interested in sponsoring sport. And I think the Government need to take a stand and say 'This association between alcohol and sport is harmful to young people in this country.'

DAVID GALLOP: I think we need to recognise that there's actually an opportunity to use that relationship in a positive way and make sure that kids recognise that alcohol has a place in our community, it can be enjoyable, but there are pitfalls where you overindulge.

SHARON O’NEILL: Former premiership winning player Scott Sattler says the best way to keep players in line is to hit them where it hurts, the hip pocket.

SCOTT SATTLER, FMR RUGBY LEAGUE PLAYER: Something along the lines of a bond, a percentage of everyone's contract or a percentage of their sign on fee contract is held until the end of each season.

And if that particular player or the particular group of players haven't breached any code of conducts in regards to their club code of conduct or the NRL code of conduct, well, they receive that bond/bonus.

SHANE RICHARDSON: The most damaging way to punish a player, undoubtedly you could fine a player any amount of money you want, water off a duck's back in some case, most cases.

You don't let him play, it's a major thing to him because at the end of the day these players want to play rugby league and if they aren’t able to play it that’s a major blow to them.

(Extract, Rugby League advertisement)

VOICEOVER: Rugby League's State of Origin Series.

(Extract, ends)

SHARON O’NEILL: The mix of alcohol and sport has taken a huge toll on the National Rugby League. Even its attempts to build a fan base outside Sydney and Brisbane, by announcing a State of Origin match in Melbourne were very much overshadowed by the week's events.

CRAIG BELLAMY, NSW ORIGIN COACH: I'm getting a lot of questions here about a thing that, you know, is not a great look for our game. I'm trying to be here and hopefully push the positive things in our game.

SHARON O’NEILL: The NRL season begins this weekend. David Gallop is hoping it will be a memorable one for all the right reasons

DAVID GALLOP: We have outstanding athletes, athletes who are great role models on and off the field. This type of incident will be disappointing to the vast majority who are doing the right thing.

KERRY O'BRIEN: Sharon O'Neill with that report.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
The jury found not guilty. I wonder if there was a civil case and not a criminal case what the verdict would be. It is a lot more difficult to find a guilty verdict beyond reasonable doubt when a custodial sentence is at the end of it. With a balance of probability verdict and a payout, I wonder if the verdict would be the same?
Dickhead - it's a criminal case because it was an alleged crime. The day peple SUE for damages over crimes is a sad day indeed. The OJ Suimpson case smacked of just attacking a rich defendent.

And it's case closed. Only a complete f*ckwit would consider suing!

Yeah just like sacking a coach for underperforming over paid wankers EG Hayne 1 good game every 4 does not make you a superstar he has not done a thing won a nrl title, state of origin or world cup.
ONly 3 things to do in RL. Clive Churchill never did them either - must have been a nothing player right? You dumb f*ckwit!

To be honest I wanted the guy to go to jail cos i don't like him.
I don't like you - off to Long Bay you go. Stupid bloody gangsta wankers - life sux without testosterone doesn't it!

I like ....... Steve Matai.

:lol: Proves you are a brainless dribbler!!!!!

Bronco18

Juniors
Dickhead - it's a criminal case because it was an alleged crime. The day peple SUE for damages over crimes is a sad day indeed. The OJ Suimpson case smacked of just attacking a rich defendent.

And it's case closed. Only a complete f*ckwit would consider suing!

Eh it’s 8 years too late but...

For many criminal acts, there’s an equivalent civil offence - in QLD this would be trespass to the person (assault). So yes, individuals can sue on acts that are also crimes... been going on for hundreds of years....

And in a civil case, it’s a different standard of proof (balance of probabilities as opposed to beyond reasonable doubt) so it isn’t necessarily “case closed”, even if the criminal case has been determined.