What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Stewart found not guilty of sexual assault

The Tank

Bench
0,,6520626,00.jpg

He looks heaps credible

That's the disgraceful headline on the front page of today's Telecrap aswell. f**king disgrace. Surely the league won't stand for blatent defamation.

Brutus

Referee
This is the first time I have felt a tad sorry for Gallop, although I still can't overlook the fact he is serving News LTD and not rugby league.

Maybe that above headline is what Gallop is after - with the aim of selling News LTD papers.

Brutus

Referee
A disgraceful headline in the Telegraph though.

Dean Ritchie has proven yet again the type of journo he is.

They should've blurred out the silly old git's bitch tits as well.

gong_eagle

First Grade
A disgraceful headline in the Telegraph though.

Dean Ritchie has proven yet again the type of journo he is.

They should've blurred out the silly old git's bitch tits as well.

The manly thing would be for Stewart to stand down

Jacquelin Magnay | March 9, 2009
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/nrl-has-to-step-in/2009/03/08/1236447048246.html

IF BRETT STEWART is man enough, he should stand aside from playing in the NRL until the sexual assault allegations against him are resolved. If he is not man enough, NRL chief executive David Gallop must do what Manly are reluctant to - force Stewart on to the sidelines.
Both Manly and the NRL have indicated they are going to do nothing. If this is so, they are profoundly derelict in their proclaimed stance renouncing violence against women, and again have let down half of the code's supporters. It is not unnoticed that this fence-sitting has happened on International Women's Day.
Stewart has several voices - his own, that of his rugby league playing brother, his club, his manager, his supporters, his code - but has chosen to remain silent. The young woman, just 17, has one - her father, who has been gagged by the police.
There appears to be an ad hoc policy in the rugby league world that favours those players who have the most serious allegations levelled against them. Hit a woman in the face, or have such allegations or charges made against you, and out you go, Tevita Latu and Greg Bird. Be accused of sexual assault? Play on. Double standards? Most definitely. Or is it that it is much easier for lesser offences to be proven? Of course, Stewart has the right to be presumed innocent but this is an allegation of serious violence against a young woman, again on the eve of the rugby league season.
It is not good enough for the club, or the NRL or indeed Stewart to argue that players previously facing sexual assault investigations have been able to play through what they consider "an ordeal". Anthony Laffranchi even worked his way into a Test jersey while his rape charge was dismissed, with a Sydney court deciding there was not enough evidence to prove the charge beyond reasonable doubt.
The Warriors' Michael Crockett, the Bulldogs and the Broncos players were also distanced from off-field dramas. But what happens off and on the field are directly related. If it is embarrassing enough for the NRL to suspend and rejig its multimillion-dollar advertising campaign, which featured Stewart, it is embarrassing enough for him not to be playing in the Manly jersey.
Indeed, the Manly club has to be careful not to be too involved in protecting Stewart while providing a duty of care to its employee. Club CEO Grant Mayer issued a release on Saturday claiming "the allegation is denied". Is this the club denying the allegation or Stewart? Given that the club may eventually have to take action against Stewart, especially if it is found he has brought the sport into disrepute, it would be prudent by all parties to have independent, separate legal advice, and issue separate statements, rather than this pooling arrangement.
This cosy relationship between players and clubs and managers is a source of much conflict of interest. Last week the AFL introduced an integrity services department - jargon for a player behaviour overseer - which the NRL should look at. It is in league's interests to have an independent body to handle off-field scandals.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Magnay should've been stood down after her disgustingly biased reporting in 2004.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
While sexual assault is a very serious matter and each allegation needs to be dealt with thoroughly, Magnay makes no room for a suggestion of a false allegation in any case.
Jacquelin Magnay said:
Be accused of sexual assault? Play on. Double standards? Most definitely. Or is it that it is much easier for lesser offences to be proven? Of course, Stewart has the right to be presumed innocent but this is an allegation of serious violence against a young woman, again on the eve of the rugby league season.
So Girl A says she was assaulted by Player B. Hypothetically, Player B just signed an autograph for her after the game and this is where the accusation comes from. However unlikely that scenario - should Player B's career be put on hold while that is investigated and eventually dismissed? All it takes is for one money-hungry young girl or woman (or even someone who just wants attention) to say "Player B touched me when I didn't want him to" or some such rubbish.

The potential for more and more allegations to surface with (granted, more realistic) situations like the above is tenfold.

In no way am I implying Stewart is either guilty/innocent and if found to have committed this alleged crime - then stand him down, charge him etc, fine. Just don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Not yet.

Downie

Guest Moderator
Magnay was this close to moving to Canberra last year to work for the Canberra Times covering politics, but it didn't end up working out. Pity =/

MANLYMAGIC08

Juniors
That article above by Magnay is a fu*king disgrace!

Her whole stance in the article is that he is guilty and she does not consider that at this stage, it is an allegation!

How do you make a complaint to her employer?

jdizzle

Juniors
That's the disgraceful headline on the front page of today's Telecrap aswell. f**king disgrace. Surely the league won't stand for blatent defamation.

Where is the defamation? I'm missing it.

Especially when the article leads into....

THE traumatised family of a teenage girl allegedly sexually assaulted by NRL star Brett Stewart have vowed to move from their new home, claiming they are now in a living hell.

MANLYMAGIC08

Juniors
Thats just it Timmah.. if you do what Magnay states and be 'man enough' to stand down immediately after an allegation is made against you, it makes it far too fu*king easy to rule out a star player(s) in the example you gave.

jdizzle

Juniors
Contradicting a police statement issued on Friday, the teenager's father stressed the incident had not occurred in a stairwell but at the gated entrance to a neighbouring townhouse apartment shortly after Stewart arrived home in a taxi.

Fishy.

No its not. If you saw the news, the entrance of where it allegedly happens appears to lead directly to a stairwell.

HDWicked

Juniors
My general feeling on the situation is it does seem to be a changing story every day. Im in no way saying IF thsi girl was Raped that she deserved it or anything BUT what im saying is... Why would someone BE stupid enough to do that at his apartment complex, ALSO the father of the girl says they had no idea Brett lived there or WHO he was, and also someone else made mention IF she screamed would not have another resident come out as well, I do hope for Manly, Bretts, and the NRLs sake these allegations are untrue.

jdizzle

Juniors
Just cos I proved you wrong.. the entrance where it is alleged it happened does not lead to a stairwell.. have another look numbnuts!

No you didn't prove me wrong. You just said "No it isn't".

What proof was there in your post. Can you point it out to me?

I'm glad you aren't in the DPP.

Latest posts