What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Stewart found not guilty of sexual assault

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
We don't even know that Perth! The whole thing is very murky and until what actually happened is established he should be allowed to play. It is appropriate for the courts to do that -> not a trial by media!

So he drank no alcohol, has never met this 17 year old girl and the AVO has been not only put in place but extended and he's been charged for no reason?

As I said, it remains to be seen if he committed a criminal act, but he's still been a goose, irrespective of the outcome.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
He did say accused. Besides, it's conceded by Brett he was drunk and it has been also claimed he doesn't remember. That in itself is proof enough he's done something wrong. Whether he is innocent of this crime is another thing, but it is fact he consumed too much alcohol as part of an official club function and for that alone he deserves what's coming to him in the way of fines and standing down etc. And that's even before the court and legal business.
Being drunk is not crime -> and nor is not remembering! That is proof of nothing.

He did not consume too much grog at the function -> there was no restrictions during the function and the grog was allowed to be consumed by players.

He hasn't broken a single rule prior to the unknown incident once he got out of the cab.

Timmah

Why are you so active on this. Honestly ive read through all the pages and you repeat yourself at least once on every page with your allegidly quote all the time. Your a good poster but dude is it necessary on every page

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
So he drank no alcohol, has never met this 17 year old girl and the AVO has been not only put in place but extended and he's been charged for no reason?

As I said, it remains to be seen if he committed a criminal act, but he's still been a goose, irrespective of the outcome.
Being charged doesn't mean your guilty. It is where one is asked to explain their actions and they may turn out to be perfectly acceptable.

Drinking alcohol and meeting the 17 year isn't a crime either by the way!

Last edited:

Kiki

First Grade
Top dawg added: "We've copped it for the past six years . . . payback is a bitch."

HAHAHA...top dawg added. that made me lol. i can't believe this is in an article!

i'm sad i've never been quoted in an article *sniff*

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Being drunk is not crime -> and nor is not remembering! That is proof of nothing.

He did not consume too much grog at the function -> there was no restrictions during the function and the grog was allowed to be consumed by players.

He hasn't broken a single rule prior to the unknown incident once he got out of the cab.
Didn't say being drunk was a crime. However it's not a good thing to do at a season launch, which this incident is alleged to have occured immediately following. Your quote "he did not consume too much alcohol" seems at odds with even his dad's statement to the media.
The NRL wish to meet with Manly regarding the alcohol situation and the process of the launch night, at which point the NRL themselves may even impose a fine or restriction on Stewart, Watmough, and/or the club itself. TO suggest he hasn't broken any rules because the club didn't "have them in place" before the launch is silly and speaks to you blindly defending him.
Timmah

Why are you so active on this. Honestly ive read through all the pages and you repeat yourself at least once on every page with your allegidly quote all the time. Your a good poster but dude is it necessary on every page
I wasn't aware there was a limit on how many times one could post... :lol:
Being charged doesn't mean your guilty. It is where one is asked to explain their actions and they may turn out to be perfectly acceptable.

Drinking alcohol and meeting the 17 year isn't a crime either by the way!
I never said being charged makes him guilty - are you actually reading what I'm saying? Nor did I say drinking alcohol or meeting a 17 year old are crimes either... get your facts together if you're going to discuss such a serious matter. As I said, it looks like you're blindly defending him. And given your rubbish opinion on matters regarding SBW last year, you look like a flaming hypocrite to those who remember right now.

Sleep

Juniors
Sucks but to be honest I don't think he should be playing. I'm a fan of the guy and all but in every other instance the player has been stood down and probably rightfully so.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Didn't say being drunk was a crime. However it's not a good thing to do at a season launch, which this incident is alleged to have occured immediately following. Your quote "he did not consume too much alcohol" seems at odds with even his dad's statement to the media.
The NRL wish to meet with Manly regarding the alcohol situation and the process of the launch night, at which point the NRL themselves may even impose a fine or restriction on Stewart, Watmough, and/or the club itself. TO suggest he hasn't broken any rules because the club didn't "have them in place" before the launch is silly and speaks to you blindly defending him.

I wasn't aware there was a limit on how many times one could post... :lol:

I never said being charged makes him guilty - are you actually reading what I'm saying? Nor did I say drinking alcohol or meeting a 17 year old are crimes either... get your facts together if you're going to discuss such a serious matter. As I said, it looks like you're blindly defending him. And given your rubbish opinion on matters regarding SBW last year, you look like a flaming hypocrite to those who remember right now.
I stand by everything I said regarding SBW I assure you.

Too much alcohol is a function of the limit placed on his alcohol consumption by either the law or Manly -> which was both a zero limitation.

So you are telling me they should be punished according to rules that didn't exist yet? Retrospective punishment?

stormysally

Juniors
Me personally i think he should be stood down but i dont think that will happen
phil gould said on radio in melbourne that he will proberly go to jail or get a suspended sentance and do community work with victims

i also found this artical

Diabetes defence: Stewart could argue he didn't know what he was doing

Brad Walter, Julie Robotham and Les Kennedy | March 11, 2009

THE effect of excessive alcohol on Brett Stewart's Type 1 diabetes may be used as a defence against allegations he sexually abused a 17-year-old woman.
After a four-day investigation, Stewart was last night charged with the sexual assault of the teenager just hours after Manly's alcohol-fuelled season launch last Friday afternoon.
Despite not yet having the results of DNA testing Stewart submitted to at Dee Why Police Station in the early hours of Saturday morning, there was considered to be sufficient evidence to charge him.
The teenager who made the complaint also provided a DNA sample and was examined by a doctor at Royal North Shore Hospital after claiming she had been sexually assaulted by Stuart about 8pm on Friday night. It took just five minutes from the time of the first telephone call to the Emergency 000 hotline at 8.01pm to when police officers arrived on scene at North Manly on Friday night.
One of the callers told the operator of an altercation involving "Brett Stewart".
Those who saw Stewart on the night said he was intoxicated and he has told friends he can't remember what happened.
A leading expert in diabetes, Paul Zimmet, the emeritus director of Melbourne's Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, said people with Type 1 diabetes were at risk of having a hypoglycemic attack - or blood-sugar crash - as a result of excessive drinking, especially on an empty stomach. The effects of drinking could then compound the problem, by impairing the person's ability to recognise the symptoms of the drop in blood sugar levels - which include changes to sensory perception and consciousness.
Alcohol could make the liver more sensitive to insulin, increasing the likelihood of hypoglycemia, Professor Zimmet said. But this depended on individual factors, as well as the form of alcohol and the circumstances in which it was consumed.
Drinking a lot of beer could push blood sugar up because it was heavy in carbohydrates, Professor Zimmet said.
People with type 1 diabetes - the childhood onset form that makes up one in 10 cases and is not linked to obesity or lack of exercise - were advised they could safely drink alcohol in the same quantities recommended for other adults, he said. But they were advised to eat carbohydrate foods such as pasta or bread before or during drinking, to counterbalance the effect on blood sugar.
His condition would make it possible for Stewart to argue, "he didn't know what he was doing and didn't eat properly," said Professor Zimmet.

Stewart has worked as an ambassador for support and advocacy group Diabetes Australia NSW, which yesterday said in a statement on its website that it was surprised by the allegation. "He has been active in supporting a number of our events and his conduct has always been exemplary," the statement read.
A spokeswoman said the organisation would not comment further pending the police investigation, and she would not say whether the group would consider cutting ties with Stewart if he was charged.
In another development yesterday, Paul Durazza, the Sea Eagle sponsor allegedly punched by Anthony Watmough at Manly's season launch last Friday, says the footballer was harassing his daughter at the time.
Yesterday Durazza, who runs a structural landscaping and property maintenance business, rang 2UE after Manly co-owner Max Delmege was interviewed and defended Watmough as a "great guy".
Durazza said he saw Watmough hassling his 21-year-old daughter at the sponsors' function at the Manly Wharf Hotel. "[She is] a very attractive lady and didn't need to be spoken to how she was being spoken to," Durazza said.
"He was just very rude and that's what sparked me to get up and then he hit me."
He said the incident, which has been reported as a slap, was more serious. "He punched me. It wasn't a slap. It was a punch," he said .

Nemesis

Bench
Unfortunately, regardless of whether Stewart is found innocent or guilty of any criminal offence and likewise Watmough, plenty of mud is going to stick for a long time to come as far as the Manly club are concerned and they will suffer considerably as a result.

The NRL will likely hit them with a very hefty six figure fine, Manly may well lose sponsors as well as members and morale at the club will be badly affected. Heads will invariably roll and the task of repairing all the damage done to the club will be substantial.

As far as who is to blame, well they say that a fish always rots from the head down, not the tail up.

The slide at Manly commenced with Delmege and Penn's behaviour regarding club management and financial issues, which now appears to have permeated right throughout the entire organisation. Delmege's attempt at laying his credit card on the bar to encourage the drinking binge to continue was totally irresponsible, as was Peters' and Millward's behaviour in shirking their responsibilities at such a high-profile club event.

Yes the players must be held accountable for their drunken binge and if found guilty of other offences, punished by Law. However, if the club's owners and managers can't maintain high standards of professional behaviour themselves, how can they expect their players to do so?

Sadly, events over the last few weeks at the Sea Eagles and the fallout from this latest scandal may prove to be too big a hurdle for the club to overcome. I hope they can recover, but there are similarities between what's been going on at Manly lately and the rapid unravelling that the Bulldogs experienced not so long ago.

Last edited:

Kiki

First Grade
what the hell is with the dad and the way he keeps saying his daughter is attractive? what the hell has that got to do with anything? like if he she has a fug sister watmough can say whatever he wants to her? ughhhhhh.

Lime_Green

Juniors
Laffranchi was hanged by a few posters here but more were on hand to remind us of innocence before guilt. Moderating didn't stop a certain degree of outrage and moralising. As it turned out, Laffranchi was exonerated. Not surprisingly, those who had him guilty didn't say a word.

Having said that, there seems to be a greater level of outrage in the Stewart case. Watching how the club, NRL and media respond brings out the best and worst in people.

At the end of the day, we have to wait for the legal process to take its course.

Ah yes.

I was guilty of the moralising that got you so uptight in that instance.

For the record Laffranchi was never "exonerated" of sleeping around a few days after his wife gave birth which was the subject of said moralising.

And sexual assault is a very, very difficult charge to prove...I'm sure guilty men walk free, and innocent men end up behind bars, in more than a few cases.

So off your high horse...

warren

Juniors
what the hell is with the dad and the way he keeps saying his daughter is attractive? what the hell has that got to do with anything? like if he she has a fug sister watmough can say whatever he wants to her? ughhhhhh.

he said it once to the radio station he called in to

but i still agree it sounds silly

Tommax25

Bench
Brett Stewart will play

MANLY early this morning rejected the advice of NRL boss David Gallop and announced besieged fullback Brett Stewart would play in the opening round of the premiership this weekend. After a marathon five-hour emergency meeting and a passionate plea from coach Des Hasler, Manly's board point-blank ignored Gallop, who spoke on loudspeaker for 25 minutes, trying to convince them Stewart should stand down.
The meeting came just hours after Stewart was charged at Dee Why police station with the sexual assault of a 17-year-old girl.
Three hours into the meeting, the seven-man board agreed to let Stewart play and even drafted a press release, which was to be sent to the media at 10.15pm.
But Gallop stepped in at the last minute and made it abundantly clear he felt the Test star should be stood down.
Even as late as 11pm, Gallop was holding talks with Manly officials about their contentious decision.
Directors then re-convened and discussed the matter until 1am.
Hasler had earlier spoken at the meeting, slamming his fists on the desk demanding Stewart be allowed to play.
He had left the meeting thinking Stewart was playing.
Hasler was said to be furious when later told the board was considering reversing its decision after he had left the meeting.
It is understood Hasler then contacted the board again late last night by telephone to express his anger.
Hasler argued - and won.
The rugby league community must allow Brett the presumption of innocence as is the right of every other Australian," Hasler said later.
Manly had earlier sought legal advice stating Stewart could play.
At 6pm yesterday, Stewart was charged with the sexual assault of a 17-year-old girl after a boozy season launch at Manly Wharf Bar last Friday.
Manly officials will meet with Gallop this morning to discuss the matter further.
The NRL chief executive was in no mood to discuss the matter last night.
"I've got no comment to make. We will meet with them (today)," Gallop said.
Some board members felt Stewart may have in fact stood himself down given his fragile mental state.
But Stewart revealed he wanted to play - and Manly teammates also wanted the champion fullback out there as the club launches its premiership defence.
The decision will divide the rugby league community.
Privately, a few Manly officials believed standing down Stewart last night would be a gut-wrenching "double blow" given he was charged just hours earlier.
It is understood Hasler spoke passionately at the meeting. Manly chief executive Grant Mayer and Stewart's legal representative, leading Sydney SC Geoff Bellew, also attended.
Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn said: "We acknowledge the difficult situation for all concerned and have considered the varying opinions.
"However, the fact remains that the allegations against Brett are just that - allegations.
The Daily Telegraph understands a final outcome on the court case could take nine to 12 months.
Gold Coast Titans forward Anthony Laffranchi and Warriors winger Michael Crockett were both charged with sexual assault over the past two years. Both were permitted to play on by their clubs and were subsequently found not guilty.
Stewart was charged after a booze-fuelled season launch where teammate Anthony Watmough also ran into trouble.
Watmough was accused of punching a Manly sponsor at the Wharf Bar. Police are continuing to investigate the Watmough incident.
Stewart has been granted bail to appear at Manly Local Court on April 7, two days after the Sea Eagles' round-four NRL clash with Newcastle Knights at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,25170147-14823,00.html

Looks like he will play on, and I personally am fine with it, based on past cases and that he is still an innocent man. But this will cause massive controversy, no more so than here on LU based on the pages and pages posted in support of standing him down.

Tommax25

Bench
Also, I just thought Id throw in one little bit of positivity about the season to come before the ruddstorm to come following the aove decision. Ive just notcied the livescore tabs for all the games on the side, I dont know if they were always there, I hadnt noticed, but when I noticed them just then it gave me a little jolt of excitment about the footy starting back again, cant wait fellas!

bartman

Immortal
Brett Stewart will play

MANLY early this morning rejected the advice of NRL boss David Gallop and announced besieged fullback Brett Stewart would play in the opening round of the premiership this weekend. After a marathon five-hour emergency meeting and a passionate plea from coach Des Hasler, Manly's board point-blank ignored Gallop, who spoke on loudspeaker for 25 minutes, trying to convince them Stewart should stand down.
Boooo..... fine the arrogant f**kers.

I know several manly supporters that are so upset at this news. Taking a stand about sexual violence as an issue is bigger than any one team, one player, or selection for any one (or more) games.

This is exactly why the NRL needs a common policy that all club have to adhere to, in dealing with employees that are facing charges like this in our legal system. Clubs act in their own self-interest, and in doing so turn people away from our game - including their own supporters.

Latest posts