What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Stewart found not guilty of sexual assault

According to reports he has already stated to the police he denies the allegations made by the alleged victim, so in that respect I dont see the reason for him to stand down until then.

Im not sure the unbolded part of your post warrants him standing down until that point in time either.

Even if that is the case, we will see here if the judicial part of the seperation of powers feels that there is enough evidence to mount a case. It should be noted that the DPP, is a part of the executive arm. So just as the police feel that there is enough evidence to proceed with a case, the judicial system may not agree and throw it out immediately at this point. We will also see the case in more detail then, (possibly, given this is a sexual assault case involving a 17 year old girl, it may well be a closed court case) and if the case can be seen at more details, we will be able to see the exact seriousness of the case (ass grab to rape? how serious). At this point the Manly club should reconsider. Given this is only a month away I cant help but feel it would be the best option. Dont get me wrong, I want him to play equal to you, I love my club and hes my hero, and I pray he didnt do it, but at the moment I feel he should be stood down from playing duties until then.

Hanscholo

Bench
The same as Bird received?

Didn't seem to affect Lanfranchi and Crocket? last year.

Those issies taken asside. Lafranchi had a very good defence and his club stood buy him because of it. Bird, well he made the mistake of getting his golfing buddy involved who decided that telling the world was the way to go, apparently the sharks had a fair idea that they didnt want the bloke around anymore. I see Stewarts case being similar to Birds, I personally believe if the NRL and Manly believe he has a fair chance of getting off teh charge he will be allowed to at least train, if not play for manly. If they are dicey on it, then i'd say its likely that they will probably ask him to stand down.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That fact he was wrecked and "tackled" the girl should be enough to see him stood down till the more serious allegations are investigated. At the end of the day he is just one player and he has managed to totally fu** up the start of the season single handedly. Instead of media full of positive anticipation for kick off we are forced to endure this cr4p. All becasue one over paid prima donna can't hold his beer. I'm sick of it and quite frankly they could boot him out of the game tomorrow and I wouldn't care, in fact I'd applaud.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The Lafranchi case was different to this one. The question in the Lafranchi case was based on the consent of an admitted sexual encounter. Those are always going to be the most difficult for the courts to make a compelling case against.

This one is a little different.

Anyway, this is really starting to get out of control and Rugby League is looking worse every year because of it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,25168692-5016544,00.html

Father speaks: We believe Brett Stewart is innocent

By Dean Ritchie | March 11, 2009 12:00am

BRETT Stewart's emotional father yesterday broke a five-day silence to publicly reinforce his support for his embattled son.

As the Sea Eagles fullback was last night charged over his alleged sexual assault of a 17-year-old, Barry Stewart declared: "We believe in Brett - he's innocent."

Yesterday Stewart was chosen in the Manly side for Saturday's match against the Bulldogs at Homebush, with his devastated father saying it was the right decision.

"I think he should play. Why shouldn't he? Brett is mentally tough," Mr Stewart said. "I'm sure the crowd will razz him but Brett's a tough kid."

Mr Stewart, who broke down several times as he spoke with The Daily Telegraph yesterday, admitted his son was affected by alcohol on the night of the alleged offence.

"We're not making excuses. He was intoxicated," he said. "He had a few beers on the day. A few glasses of champagne didn't help with his metabolism, but Brett doesn't drink much with his diabetes.

"I will just be glad when everything is out in the open. It's all been hearsay until now.

"That is the frustrating part but we just have to be patient and tough it out. He is innocent but our hands are tied. We just can't say anything."

Mr Stewart said the support of the entire family would be offered to his son.

"These are real tough times but we'll stick together," he said. "We will come through this as a family. We believe in Brett. We always have. He has never caused us trouble. The four kids (Brett, Glenn, Barry Jr and Tammy) never have.

"Brett has been through tough periods before, with his diabetes and injuries, but this is the biggest hurdle he can conquer."

Mr Stewart admitted the past few days had taken a toll on his family.

"It's bloody hard when you've got your 24-year-old son crying on your shoulder," he said. "I love him dearly. Brett is mentally drained. It has really taken a toll on him.

"We are talking about Brett's livelihood here. It's so hard.

"He knows people look up to him."

Manly chief executive Grant Mayer will meet with NRL CEO David Gallop late this morning to discuss last Friday night.

Mr Stewart praised the support of Manly players and officials and even received a text message from Cronulla coach Ricky Stuart.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tough on the family but blame lies squarely at the feet of one person. Doesn't hurt to get a sob story in the media for a bit of public sympathy for the accused either!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Geez the media are good at factual reporting.

They've taken one quote to create this headline, then buried the three against it at the bottom of the article once the damage is done. Watch the anti-Bulldogs comments pile up on the article...

We'll make your life hell, Brett
Josh Massoud
11 March 2009
BULLDOGS CEO Todd Greenberg last night issued an urgent plea for his fans to spare Brett Stewart from the vile abuse their heroes copped five years ago.

Armed with long and bitter memories from the 2004 Coffs Harbour sex scandal, sections of the Bulldogs Army have vowed to mercilessly shower Stewart with taunts should he take the field for Saturday night's clash.

The Manly fullback was last night charged with sexually assaulting a 17-year-old girl and a final decision on whether he travels to ANZ Stadium will be made this morning.
Hardcore and resentful Bulldogs fans, however, are planning to make Stewart's nightmare complete if he plays.

Some supporters have been buzzing in cyberspace about venting their frustrations from five years ago at Stewart. Along with Bulldogs players, supporters were also hit with unfair and derogatory slurs for years after the Coffs Harbour case was closed without any charges being laid.

Posting on popular Bulldogs chat site The Kennel yesterday, Dogg Stiel said: "I'm going to act like an animal on Saturday night . . . after getting the wooden spoon and years of frustration from the media, I'm going to let out my frustrations." Top dawg added: "We've copped it for the past six years . . . payback is a bitch."

The prospect of fans abusing Stewart - who has denied the allegations - with unsavoury and foul remarks has been foreshadowed by ANZ Stadium officials.
It was discussed at yesterday's pre-game briefing with Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg and extra security is being considered to monitor what is expected to be a 20,000-plus crowd.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph last night, Greenberg issued an urgent plea for calm among the blue and white faithful.

"After a week of negative and divisive media coverage for the game, I encourage all Bulldogs fans to get out to ANZ Stadium on Saturday night and create headlines for the right reasons," Greenberg said. "Our supporters are conscious of the difficulties and sensitivities involved with off-field allegations.

"All Bulldogs supporters will be acutely aware of the hard work that this club has undertaken in regards to our off-field image and public profile in recent months, the players are doing their bit, and I urge all of our supporters to play their part by acting responsibly and behaving appropriately."

Despite calls for him to be stood down until the police investigation is complete, Stewart was last night named at fullback for the clash.

Sections of the Bulldogs fanbase also joined Greenberg to try and convince fellow supporters to turn the other cheek.

"We didn't like it a few years back, let us be the fans who come to the game to support our own players and not the fans that jeer and boo," a supporter called ***mh*** posted on The Kennel.
"We are the better club. Let Manly get into their own trouble, we don't need to go looking for it."

Another supporter, dogkat, agreed, but doubted some fans would be able to contain their emotions.

"Well said. I am so over hearing opposition players call our team rapists etc," dogkat wrote.
"But unfortunately I think it would be too much to hope for, that people can hold back from giving him a serve."

An ANZ Stadium spokeswoman last night confirmed that fans guilty of offensive behaviour would be dealt with.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25168560-5006066,00.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
Blame for what? He hasn't been convicted of anything!

Being a fu**wit at the very least! I think there is enough evidence to suggest he is at the very least one of those and lets be honest if he doesn't act like a 17 yr old on schoolies he isn't making headline news and stuffing up the NRL launch!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Blame for what? He hasn't been convicted of anything!

He did say accused. Besides, it's conceded by Brett he was drunk and it has been also claimed he doesn't remember. That in itself is proof enough he's done something wrong. Whether he is innocent of this crime is another thing, but it is fact he consumed too much alcohol as part of an official club function and for that alone he deserves what's coming to him in the way of fines and standing down etc. And that's even before the court and legal business.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Being a fu**wit at the very least! I think there is enough evidence to suggest he is at the very least one of those and lets be honest if he doesn't act like a 17 yr old on schoolies he isn't making headline news and stuffing up the NRL launch!
We don't even know that Perth! The whole thing is very murky and until what actually happened is established he should be allowed to play. It is appropriate for the courts to do that -> not a trial by media!

Latest posts