What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Carney Leaves Gold Coast Titans

Stormerz

Juniors
Angry_eel said:
Come on man. I have my fare share of dislike towards El D but you are talking like a 5yr old.

You want another team to be in Melbourne which is a Non-League city, has one team which averages just over 10,000(in a good season) and has no decent rectanglar stadium?

Where exactly are you going to bring the supporters from?

Have you been reading anything i've posted? I said IF Melbourne had another team then it'd be more likely for the Storm to have more fans for home games.

t-ba

Post Whore
Stormerz said:
Have you been reading anything i've posted? I said IF Melbourne had another team then it'd be more likely for the Storm to have more fans for home games.

Why? Bridge the gap in logic for us. How would another team in a market that draws small crowds actually improve the size of Crowds for the Storm.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Stormerz said:
It would cut down the size of Melbourne's crowd size even more. Then they will both have to compete for supporters in a League unfriendly market.

Lowdown

Juniors
Stormerz said:

Mere speculation I'm afraid, and goes against most logic. Rugby League needs to be promoted better, thereby increasing fan support and ratings. This leads to the possibility of a second team (far far down the track)...but not the other way around.

Unlike baseball, if you build it does not mean they will come (unless its a new stadium but dont get me started as this looks like it never will happen) - creating a second league team will simply dilute already existing fan support. New fans may be attracted to a new franchise, but why? Its not like SE QLD, where a number of people dislike the Broncos or can't get to their games, therefore enabling a second team (Titans) to have a market share established.

First and foremost, the Storm and the NRL need to concentrate on steadily cultivating a league base - promotion, performance and development will be the keys to success - not creating a second team.

If that logic was true - then we would have a magical device, where all we do is add teams, and we increase fans, thereby increasing revenues. Sadly, we know this is not true.

I agree with the posts however which compare the Storm's crowd numbers with those of more traditional sydney teams. No doubt crowds could be bigger (just look at the Victory) - but this is not just a Storm problem - its an NRL wide problem. We have poor crowds in Canberra, the Roosters, Souths, Eels, etc etc. Look at the tv, and you'll notice many empty seats (and viewing any game at Telstra apart from Origin or the GF is just plain embarassing). We should be comparable with AFL crowds - especially in Sydney. If it weren't for QLD supporters, NRL would be in big trouble I feel.

The NRL need to look at increasing crowd numbers and make it their number one priority. Focusing on highlighting memberships is a start, but it will take much more than that.

meltiger

First Grade
t-ba said:
It's a real hobby of the Non Sydney-Siders with next to no understanding of the market. Rather than provide constructive criticism they claim we should cull clubs for the 'betterment' of the game. Anyone who knows the Northern Suburbs knows just how f*cked a proposition that idea is.

I'm anti-rationalisation, yet I still slam Sydneysiders for their non-ability to attend matches.

*waits for a blinkered Sydneysider to trot out the 'we have better things to do with our time' line*

fourplay

Juniors
Finishing his commercial law degree ? Damn I would of liked to see him on the footy show panel instead !

Lowdown

Juniors
fourplay said:
Finishing his commercial law degree ? Damn I would of liked to see him on the footy show panel instead !

Maybe the Titans can give him a role, advising them on contractual disputes? Should have no shortage of work if this off-season is anything to go by...

It feels like the Titans are the only team in the NRL at the mo.

effnic

Bench
Knightmare said:
Rubbish, Satan is a Broncos fan. Watch the 1997 ARL Grand Final and you will know once and for all who God supports ;-) . It's a pity to see Carney relegated to being a "One season wonder".
I watched it and i believe the commentators say manly.

effnic

Bench
But seriously wtf is going on with players and clubs these days. Do contracts mean absolutly nothing to them, i mean Lyon played more games for parra and half of the people on this forum the same people to call for Lyon's head are like i wish Carney well once again wtf? And why cant the clubs sue the f**k out of these players to set an example? And why cant el diablo take his bitch fights to tfc? Why why why?

Mr Saab

Referee
effnic said:
But seriously wtf is going on with players and clubs these days. Do contracts mean absolutly nothing to them,

Works both ways. Lance Thompsons contract at the Dragons meant zero after he was basically kicked out of the club.

El Diablo

Post Whore
effnic said:
But seriously wtf is going on with players and clubs these days. Do contracts mean absolutly nothing to them, i mean Lyon played more games for parra and half of the people on this forum the same people to call for Lyon's head are like i wish Carney well once again wtf?

Carney retired, Lyon didnt.

lotti

Bench
yeah Lyon walked out on his contract after playing one game for the Eels and then pissed off to England.

effnic

Bench
Thats one more than Carney, and i can bet Carney will have a year off and come out of retirement and play in the super league.

El Diablo

Post Whore
effnic said:
Thats one more than Carney, and i can bet Carney will have a year off and come out of retirement and play in the super league.

youd lose

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21071014-23214,00.html

Searle said Carney had shown his sincerity by requesting the Titans not release him from his two-year contract to douse speculation that he would return to Great Britain to play rugby league or union. Carney also refused to take his first two months' pay.

Lyon took a heap of money for his 1 game

Lyon is a rat

Cloud9

its definitely Karma. A hatrick of sh*tt news within the space of a day is impossibel. Suck eggs Tightans!!Muahahaha!!

wittyfan

Referee
Cloud9 said:
its definitely Karma. A hatrick of sh*tt news within the space of a day is impossibel. Suck eggs Tightans!!Muahahaha!!

Your spelling is truly breathtaking.

Latest posts