What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Carney Leaves Gold Coast Titans

Lowdown

Juniors
Madcat said:
"I just want to get in the side (Gold Coast Titans), to be honest," Carney said.

Perhaps he meant another side...? I mean...did he actually say 'Titans'?!

The Colonel

Immortal
Sir Knight82 said:
Sonny jimbob please come back to newcastle.... Would be nice to have SOME offensive ability in our backline.

I'd say there would be some conditions involved in his release and he would find it rather hard to walk straight back to the Knights.

Madcat said:
There is the hat trick!!

1. Steve Turner released to play for the Melbourne Storm
2. Matt Rogers rolls his ankle in his first Titans training session
3. Brian Carney retires citing personal reasons (wouldn’t surprise me if he goes back to the Newcastle Knights) "I just want to get in the side (Gold Coast Titans), to be honest," Carney said.

Didnt Frank Puletua also pull out of the Titans citing personal reasons???

Something must really stink on the Gold Coast....

Stagger eel

Staff member
Madcat said:
There is the hat trick!!

1. Steve Turner released to play for the Melbourne Storm
2. Matt Rogers rolls his ankle in his first Titans training session
3. Brian Carney retires citing personal reasons (wouldn’t surprise me if he goes back to the Newcastle Knights) "I just want to get in the side (Gold Coast Titans), to be honest," Carney said.

they also released Frank Puletua.

Sharkie™

Juniors
Bring back John Fifita said:
Didnt Frank Puletua also pull out of the Titans citing personal reasons???

Something must really stink on the Gold Coast....

Prolly they cant handle the tough training from billy!!

Goldthorpe

Bench
Lowdown said:
Perhaps he meant another side...? I mean...did he actually say 'Titans'?!
Possibly he meant the Newcastle Knights.

He didn’t physically say the Gold Coast Titans but the picture related to the article, Carney was dressed in Titans gear.

0,3600,5360938,00.jpg

http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,21066306%255E23214,00.html

Ice777

Bench
I mut be going a bit soft in my old age but i actually feel a bit sorry for the Tits. Hopefully that'll pass soon enough though. Some will call it rotten luck and some will call it karma, it'll just depend on who you ask i guess ;-)

brendothejet

First Grade
Great Britain international Brian Carney has made the shock decision to retire from rugby league, becoming the second high-profile winger to be lost to NRL newcomers the Gold Coast Titans in 24 hours.
Carney, 30, only arrived at the Gold Coast on Sunday and started training with his new club yesterday.
But the Irish winger today told surprised Titans officials he no longer had the desire to play and would not see out his two-year deal.
Titans managing director Michael Searle said the news came as a complete shock but Carney had the full support of the NRL club.
Carney has refused to comment on the matter but has told Searle and coach John Cartwright he wants to spend more time with his family and return home to complete his university studies in commercial law.
Yesterday it was announced recalcitrant winger Steve Turner, 22, would play for Melbourne this year after the Titans agreed to release him from a three-year agreement in exchange for financial compensation and two Storm juniors.
"I have made this decision with a heavy heart and it has been a difficult decision for me to make," Carney said in a statement.
"But I dearly want to get home to my family and I couldn't act like a fraud by taking the club's money but I knew in my heart I couldn't see the year out."
Searle said Carney had requested that the Titans hold back a contractual release from his two-year deal, meaning he won't be able to play for any other rugby league or rugby union club.
It was a bad day for the Titans with dual international Mat Rogers earlier suffering an ankle injury during his first training session with the club.

Source: FOXSPORTS

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Searle said Carney had requested that the Titans hold back a contractual release from his two-year deal, meaning he won't be able to play for any other rugby league or rugby union club.
I do not want to be hassled when I get home either.

He is over it and wants to study, fair enough I say.

Godz Illa

Coach
Particularly enjoyed this Searle quote from the Titans press release:

""I would like to personally thank Brian for his integrity and the manner in which he handled this, he had the fortitude to do this face to face and that strength of character is rare today."

Subtle Turncoat reference, perhaps?

Lowdown

Juniors
Ninemsn:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=177666

Brian Carney quits rugby league
Tuesday Jan 16 13:00 AEDT

By Danny Weidler
National Nine News
Sport reporter

Great Britain winger Brian Carney has quit rugby league only days after starting training with his new club.

The 30-year-old international joined the fledgling Gold Coast Titans team after a year playing with the Newcastle Knights and was expected to take a leadership role within the team.

But sources close to the player say Carney simply realised he had lost his passion for the game over the summer break.

It is also believed he is missing his family in Great Britain and Ireland, where he began his career in Gaelic football before being lured across the Irish Channel to play rugby league with the Wigan club in the north of England.

The news caps a horror day for the club after fellow star signing Mat Rogers succumbed to an ankle injury in his first training session.

Carney came to Australia at the urging of league legend and good mate Andrew Johns and was one of the standout players in the 2006 Knights team.

But speculation about Carney's desire to play for the Titans started to circulate last week when he was delayed in joining the club's pre-season training regime.

At the time, Titans coach John Cartwright said the Irishman was held up by visa problems and would not follow in the footsteps of unsettled winger Steve Turner.

The wing position is becoming something of a hoodoo for the Titans, with Turner still locked in negotiations with the club to remain with the Melbourne Storm.