What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Carney Leaves Gold Coast Titans

The Colonel

Immortal
Lowdown said:
But sources close to the player say Carney simply realised he had lost his passion for the game over the summer break.

It is also believed he is missing his family in Great Britain and Ireland, where he began his career in Gaelic football before being lured across the Irish Channel to play rugby league with the Wigan club in the north of England.

Didn't Newcastle fly Carney's father out sometime last year because he was homesick?

Gibbo

Juniors
Lowdown said:
Ninemsn:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=177666

Brian Carney quits rugby league
Tuesday Jan 16 13:00 AEDT

By Danny Weidler
National Nine News
Sport reporter

Great Britain winger Brian Carney has quit rugby league only days after starting training with his new club.

The 30-year-old international joined the fledgling Gold Coast Titans team after a year playing with the Newcastle Knights and was expected to take a leadership role within the team.

But sources close to the player say Carney simply realised he had lost his passion for the game over the summer break.

It is also believed he is missing his family in Great Britain and Ireland, where he began his career in Gaelic football before being lured across the Irish Channel to play rugby league with the Wigan club in the north of England.

The news caps a horror day for the club after fellow star signing Mat Rogers succumbed to an ankle injury in his first training session.

Carney came to Australia at the urging of league legend and good mate Andrew Johns and was one of the standout players in the 2006 Knights team.

But speculation about Carney's desire to play for the Titans started to circulate last week when he was delayed in joining the club's pre-season training regime.

At the time, Titans coach John Cartwright said the Irishman was held up by visa problems and would not follow in the footsteps of unsettled winger Steve Turner.

The wing position is becoming something of a hoodoo for the Titans, with Turner still locked in negotiations with the club to remain with the Melbourne Storm.

Please select Chris Walker on the wing next. Does he have any family in the uk he doesn't know about?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Well this is a shock, he's a big loss to the NRL, its a shame he's only had one season wouldve liked to see him play more.

Bring back John Fifita said:
Didnt Frank Puletua also pull out of the Titans citing personal reasons???

Something must really stink on the Gold Coast....

their was personal reasons, had to do with his grandparents, same reason why tony puletua pulled out of the tri nations

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I'll agree a loss to the game.

He has nothing to prove though.

Played ESL, NRL and International RL.

I wish him luck with his studies.

Damn very sad day, real personality would have loved to have seen him back at the knights but if his lost his passion its a decision I totally respect.

All the best Brian.

brendothejet

First Grade
i was looking forward to him playing for Ireland in the 08 world cup. Would've lifted the profile of the irish team and the cup immensely... :(

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Mr Angry said:
I'll agree a loss to the game.

He has nothing to prove though.

Played ESL, NRL and International RL.

I wish him luck with his studies.

Your definately right there, he's achieved it all. Probably one of the best ESL imports to play in the NRL, and made a quick impact, wheras Morely took about a year to play his best. I also wish him all the best.

freeridermx

Juniors
coming from a storm fan very sad i like carney , hopefully now some of the young guys can get a go like nat barnes and even the two storm guys .
seem strange but why bother show up for just one day he must of know before today or the first session .
cant wait for the season to start any way.
the gold coast where like my new second team before the whole turner bullsh*t so still keen to see them go well next year.

Deacon

First Grade
Breaking News...........
CARNEY QUITS TITANS AND SIGNS CONTRACT WITH ENGLISH CRICKET TEAM

Hoggy

Bench
El Diablo said:
and the 3 men and a dog that turn up at home games
Rugby league heartland. :sarcasm:

52775011.jpg

Standing room only at Parramatta.