What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Johnston Masterclass in Obfuscation on Talkin Sport

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Funny...there didn’t seem to be nearly the same amount of derision during Johnston’s first CEO stint.

My questioning mind wonders whether BJ’s hands have been tied by his predecessor (Doust) to some degree. Something just isn’t right here, because someone with Brian’s education and business acumen/experience SHOULD be performing with more efficacy than what’s being delivered.

Como Connection

First Grade
Funny...there didn’t seem to be nearly the same amount of derision during Johnston’s first CEO stint.

My questioning mind wonders whether BJ’s hands have been tied by his predecessor (Doust) to some degree. Something just isn’t right here, because someone with Brian’s education and business acumen/experience SHOULD be performing with more efficacy than what’s being delivered.
Agree, perhaps WIN are calling all the shots.
Very good man BJ.
I'm confused.
CC

Gareth67

First Grade

I also have had that same impression myself - but it was WIN , not Doust who were calling the shots . Could be wrong , but isn’t it their money ( or B.Gordons ) who are bankrolling the Dragons? In other words uncle Bruce is the puppeteer and B.J. is his voice .

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Ouch ! The old saying - ‘ there’s more then one way to skin a dragon ‘ .

Just listened to the Podcast of the 2SM interview in its entirety. Hughes, Papworth and Tunks were contemporaries of Johnston so initially it was a very matey sort of interview- however, Johnston became noticeably more defensive as the questioners followed up ridiculously inadequate answers he gave to questions such as ""Is Mary under pressure" with - "He's under pressure from himself".

My impression is that Johnston is now a ""company guy""- he's been given the CEO job
by the WIN people backing Mary and is toeing their line.

As the song (partially goes) Jokers to the left, dimwits to the right, stuck in the middle with the SGI Board.

TruSaint

Referee
What's he done?

Brian Johnston

Johnston's extensive management experience across a variety of sectors with companies such as Suncorp, IAG and Office National has seen him consistently achieve exceptional results since he were last Dragons CEO. Since his previous role at the Dragons, Johnston has successful earned three Masters Degrees: Masters of Business Coaching; Masters of Science, and; Masters of Business Administration.

BLM01

First Grade
Brian Johnston

Johnston's extensive management experience across a variety of sectors with companies such as Suncorp, IAG and Office National has seen him consistently achieve exceptional results since he were last Dragons CEO. Since his previous role at the Dragons, Johnston has successful earned three Masters Degrees: Masters of Business Coaching; Masters of Science, and; Masters of Business Administration.
Take that..boom boom

possm

Coach

Doust brokered the deal with WIN Corp along with all of the old boys deals and of course a contract for himself. So although Johnston is also a recipient of a deal that meant he would make way for Gordon Chairman of the Board, he would be given the CEO job. The remaining deals were mainly just jobs for the boys at a certain salary and for a certain length of time.

So when it came to Mary's extension, the deal was already done and had to be honoured. Johnston had no choic but to go through the motions and recommend Mary's contract be extended. However, this does not maean that Mary can't be sacked, he can. All that is needed is for our CEO to recommend such action and for the Board to approve it. Goes without saying that Mary will be paid out the remaining time left on his contract.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Brian Johnston

He also went to a pretty good high school.

(Note: I may be slightly biased here)

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I also have had that same impression myself - but it was WIN , not Doust who were calling the shots . Could be wrong , but isn’t it their money ( or B.Gordons ) who are bankrolling the Dragons? In other words uncle Bruce is the puppeteer and B.J. is his voice .

A fair number of points here. Given his background, I’d hope Johnston wouldn’t stoop so low as to do someone else’s bidding, but you never know.

Brian Johnston

Good God. Three Masters degrees. That explains it all - he's an Intellectual-Yet-Idiot ('IYI').

Also, there is zero evidence of those 'exceptional results' in his role as CEO at the Dragons. What was he at Suncorp? A 50-something-year-old clerk?

18to87

First Grade
Brian Johnston

Approaching 10 years since that last Masters degree FWIW...

Life's Good

Coach
I’m massively disappointed in BJ. This head in the sand approach reeks of the corporate line’ if, but for injuries & JDB.....’.
You can excuse poor performance for a period of time(it happens)but at some point there needs to be accountability that enables change.
We are miles off that.