What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian McClennan - SHUT UP!!!

http://www.nrl.com/news.cfm?ID=13054

This bloke has spent the lats couple of weeks like some over confident p*ssed idiot at the local pub.

A Test coach should realise that the last thing on your "To Do" list is to question the ability of an Australian player and then give ANY rallying point that an Australian team can use.

The All Blacks have worked that out. Even when they dominate Australia (As as far as Im concerned long may that continue) they refuse to tear into the Australian side because they can the history of Australian sporting teams and how they tend to respond.

Im sorry to say it, but even before he has controlled a single game McClennan seems to be the very last thing the NZRL Test team needed.

nospam49™ said:
http://www.nrl.com/news.cfm?ID=13054

This bloke has spent the lats couple of weeks like some over confident p*ssed idiot at the local pub.

A Test coach should realise that the last thing on your "To Do" list is to question the ability of an Australian player and then give ANY rallying point that an Australian team can use.

The All Blacks have worked that out. Even when they dominate Australia (As as far as Im concerned long may that continue) they refuse to tear into the Australian side because they can the history of Australian sporting teams and how they tend to respond.

Im sorry to say it, but even before he has controlled a single game McClennan seems to be the very last thing the NZRL Test team needed.

So , Your'e an All Blacks expert now .

You dont have to be an expert in anything to now a Mouthy Kiwi League coach is going to be on the end of some BRUTAL results.

ozboy

Juniors
That was just dumb by McClennan.

By all means, let him target Matt King and Timana Tahu, I'm sure both of these guys would take great pleasure in running round the likes of Jake Webster and Manu Vatuvei all night long.

The Kiwi's (And the Poms for that matter) just need to put out the same old media lines.

The Aussies are so good, we just hope to do our best, they have such a quality side its hard to see a weakness anywhere, we have our work cut out for us.....

You dont offer ANYTHING to Australia to use as motivation. Its hard for Australia to stay motivated when they win all the time. You shouldnt help them out by giving them a reason to fire up!

King was one of the players of the series for NSW and while I wouldnt have selected him, Tahu has alot of experience, is a great athlete and has played at the highest level of the game in the past.

Calling outs players being arrogant from a position of weakness is just stupid. Its setting the Kiwi's up for failure.

Jackal Dog

Juniors
I have no problem with him mouthing off (in fact that has probably been what the kiwi's have been missing for awhile, some NZRL officials with a spine) but he yet to even coach one game so he should be careful he doesn't wind up with egg on his face.

Murphdogg1

Juniors
I disagree

We need to start thinking positive, none of this 'they are unbeatable' crap, where has that gotten us? nowhere.

We need to get a bit of self belief going that 'hey we can beat these guys'. And to think that if you motivate these Australian guys you will get hammered, i say bullsh*t if u think like that ur gunna get nailed either way.

Im liking it ive had enough of Daniel Anderson's 'they will do a good job for their country' we need some self belief and some belief that if Australia do step up that we can match them.

Dont get me wrong.....you OBVIOUSLY need a coach that positive among his players. I mean...thats a coaches job.

Say what you like to the side.....but saying this stuff in the media is beyond stupid.

Not only is he making himself sound ignorant but he is losing credibility he has yet to even gain among his international peers.

Murphdogg1

Juniors
nospam49™ said:
Dont get me wrong.....you OBVIOUSLY need a coach that positive among his players. I mean...thats a coaches job.

Say what you like to the side.....but saying this stuff in the media is beyond stupid.

Not only is he making himself sound ignorant but he is losing credibility he has yet to even gain among his international peers.

I hear what your saying

Im saying one good thing is that he is taking a different approach. Trying something different, if it doesnt come off fine, but to do the same thing year and year with the same losing results is pointless.

In fairness to Brian, his comments about Tahu and King were in retailiation to Aussie comments that they would target our wingers. I take your point, keep the positive aspect to our own team and talk about your own team rather than bagging out the opposition

I remember a couple of years ago an All Blacks coach was asked a question about the Australia side and he basically said he didnt want to comment because he knows how Australian sides work and he is giving them nothing.

He said something like "I know the Australian beast".

You just dont give the Australian side an excuse to fire up. I dont care what sport your playing.....just dont do it. It should be the first rule.....infact for a NZRL coach it should have been the first question they asked in the interview.

"What would you say to a reporter if he told you that the ARL has called for NZRL to be banned from international competition".

The first person to say "We just need to concentrate on our own game and hopefully the future will sort itself out" gets the job. :D

Murphdogg1

Juniors
nospam49™ said:
I remember a couple of years ago an All Blacks coach was asked a question about the Australia side and he basically said he didnt want to comment because he knows how Australian sides work and he is giving them nothing.

He said something like "I know the Australian beast".

You just dont give the Australian side an excuse to fire up. I dont care what sport your playing.....just dont do it. It should be the first rule.....infact for a NZRL coach it should have been the first question they asked in the interview.

"What would you say to a reporter if he told you that the ARL has called for NZRL to be banned from international competition".

The first person to say "We just need to concentrate on our own game and hopefully the future will sort itself out" gets the job. :D

Yeh fine but that attitude has gotten us one win in Sydney since 1959

Its almost claiming defeat before playing. Kangaroos are so used to rolling up and smashing everyone and are very rarely 'challenged' out on the field. Why not get them into a verbal contest, see how they respond.....To claim that they will win because they are Aussies and when Aussies get attacked they always win is bollocks and complete Australian propaganda

History suggests that when you challenge an Aussie side in public.....you are in for a very long game.

Thats not an opinion, thats not a myth. Thats a FACT.

Green Machine

First Grade
Sounds like a good bloke.
http://smh.com.au/news/league/nz-coach-seeking-glory-to-leave-adversity-behind/2005/10/13/1128796651457.html
NZ coach seeking glory to leave adversity behind

October 14, 2005

A year ago all was gloomy and doomy for Brian McClennan and his ill wife, but it's different now, writes Brad Walter.

Coaching the New Zealand team has been a long-held ambition for Brian McClennan and his father before him, but of more significance for the unassuming 43-year-old when he takes charge of the Kiwis for the first time in tomorrow night's Test is that his wife, Julie, will be in the Telstra Stadium stands.

A year ago, while he was in England with Kiwi Tri-Nations squad, McClennan's world was turned upside down when he received a 4am phone call to inform him that Julie had been diagnosed with a brain tumour and was undergoing surgery.

Rushing home, McClennan sold his auto-glazing business so he could care for their now five-year-old son, Regan, and three-year-old twins, Daniel and Katie, while Julie had radiotherapy and rehabilitation to help her learn to walk and talk again.

"There's 120 types of brain tumours you can have and the one that Julie has is called medulloblastoma which goes through the cerebellum that controls your balance," McClennan said. "But she's walking and talking great now, she has an MRI every three months to monitor her condition and she's doing really well. She's coming over for the Test, and this will be the first time she's been on a plane since last year.

"It's changed our lives. Both Julie and I are very positive people and we've always lived for the moment, so when something like this happens it makes you even more aware that you can't take things for granted. That's why I've carried on to do this job because you don't want to waste any opportunities."

While little known in Australia, McClennan is highly regarded in New Zealand after taking the small Hibiscus Coast club in Auckland's north from third division to win the domestic competition, and winning back-to-back premierships with Mt Albert in the past two seasons.

His father, Mike McClennan, was Graham Lowe's assistant during the Kiwis' most successful recent period in the mid-1980s and coached St Helens between 1990 and 1992, as well as being a member of Mark Graham's staff at the Warriors in 2001.

"When dad coached St Helens, Wigan were the superpowers of the world and they would get teams to Wembley and thrash them," Brian McClennan recalled. "They did St Helens like a dinner a few years earlier when Alex Murphy had them.

"He's a good coach [and] probably a bit more intense than me. At St Helens, some spectator was just going on and on during a game, so dad grabbed someone's pint and poured it all over the guy. I remember one game at home where the floor in our change room was a bit wet so dad went into the board room and ripped out the carpet and dragged it downstairs.

"But I'm really lucky I've got an old man I can go and talk footy to."

McClennan was also involved with the Warriors as an assistant to John Ackland, who has been appointed to help Ivan Cleary next season, and coached Nigel Vagana and David Solomona in the club's development team almost a decade ago.

While halfback great Stacey Jones was not a member of that squad after being elevated to first grade almost straight out of school, McClennan once partnered him at the scrumbase for Auckland, which he captained on another occasion to victory over the 1990 touring Great Britain side.

"I was just a steady player but I've always been staunch about my league, like most people involved in the game in Auckland," he said. "When you go through school you get a lot of heat put on you to play rugby union and you lose a lot of perks if you don't, so to stay a leaguie you've got to be real staunch."

Unable to pursue a career in the NRL or in Super League, McClennan wants to coach New Zealand until the 2008 World Cup and is putting all his energies into ensuring the Kiwis are as strong as possible.

"Julie is from a league family, too, and she's as staunch as I am, so if it works out after 2008 that we can make a career out of it then we'll look at that, but for now I'm just concentrating on getting it so New Zealand can create something special before our 100 years' anniversary [in 2007] and helping my family," McClennan said.

"This seven weeks away is the hard part, and when I told my son I was leaving to go on tour his only worry was, 'Who's going to do my breakfasts?' But Julie can feed the kids herself now.

"Just a year ago things were looking so gloomy and doomy, but here we are about to experience something special with a great bunch of people involved with the Kiwis. As far as we're concerned they got the cancer all out. It's not there any more, and it's never going to come back."

Murphdogg1

Juniors
nospam49™ said:
1978-Present.

Care to elaborate?

When was Australia 'called out' so to speak in public and then victorious? i know it has happened many times but there are also occasions where they have been called out and lost

Ive spent my entire life hearing the Poms bag us, telling us they have o9ver taken us....only to see them getting thrashed when it matters.

If you havent seen these things happen I have to question if you've been watching sprting for more then five minutes!