What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith the club in some capacity - Y or N?

Would Smithy's return be good for us?

• Total voters

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The next year (1997) those four combined for 83 games (an average of an extra six games each) and we won an extra five games (with one extra game played).

cv8z

Juniors
I'm confused.
Who had the eye for talent at parra, was it smith or cleal?
It sure wasn't reddy
Look at the recruitment guy at the chooks. Rated the best ATM and a rookie coach
Unless smith and cleal reunite I can't see how we can even slightly attempt to replicate the success

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Smith could pick reserve graders that he could turn into first graders. Cleal picked the juniors that would become Origin players no matter who was coaching them.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Smith as a coaching director will only work if it us done a certain way:

* The coach had to know Brian and know what he is getting himself in for (eg Jason Taylor)
* The club has to be very clear what the responsibilities of each party are before the appointments. Crystal, crystal clear.
* The CEO needs to be personable, but also strong enough to pull Brian into line in a diplomatic way if he crosses the boundaries of his role.

In other words, it COULD work, but Smith's character would need to be managed well.

And I wouldn't give him a contract of more than two years.

Chipmunk

Coach
Smith as a coaching director will only work if it us done a certain way:

* The coach had to know Brian and know what he is getting himself in for (eg Jason Taylor)
* The club has to be very clear what the responsibilities of each party are before the appointments. Crystal, crystal clear.
* The CEO needs to be personable, but also strong enough to pull Brian into line in a diplomatic way if he crosses the boundaries of his role.

In other words, it COULD work, but Smith's character would need to be managed well.

And I wouldn't give him a contract of more than two years.

For mine, the appointment of Brian Smith in the General Manager Football is a carbon copy of what Gus is doing at Penrith, which I think seems like a good move and seems to have them in the right direction. BS and Gus are also similar outspoken types and the CEO of Penrith seems to do alot of 'non-football' stuff and leave the football department to Gus, which I think given the appointment of the CEO at Parra is also the way we should go.

I also agree that it would be ideal if the coach had worked with Brian Smith before, such as a Jason Taylor or Rick Stone. I think, as Gus did with Ivan Cleary, we need to choose a coach who has coached in the NRL also. That way BS can just leave the coach to do what he needs to do. Ivan Cleary had a bit more Head Coach experience than JT and Stone though at the time of his appointment at Penrith.

If we had gone with (or even go with?) Peter Parr move as Football General Manager then Henry could be seen as a similar option.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I don't think smith will have any issues with overpowering the head coach. He aren't stupid and has had a few assistant coaches over the years that have gone onto better things. I don't reckon he will have any issues with leaving the head coach along.

His problem has normally been with players.

spiderdan

Bench
I don't think smith will have any issues with overpowering the head coach. He aren't stupid and has had a few assistant coaches over the years that have gone onto better things. I don't reckon he will have any issues with leaving the head coach along.

His problem has normally been with players.
no w, he certainly aren't.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
souza-brazilian-hulk-forward.n.jpg

Latest posts