What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith the club in some capacity - Y or N?

Would Smithy's return be good for us?

• Total voters

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Veteran coach Brian Smith has made a shock pitch to return as head coach of Parramatta.
Smith, who coached the Eels on 243 occasions between 1997 and 2006, feels he has unfinished business. The 70-year-old joined Josh Hannay, Jason Ryles, Dean Young and Trent Barrett in attempting to become the long-term replacement for Brad Arthur.

Definitely HOF material for mine

Eelementary

Post Whore
So old mate is obviously a Knoughts fan.

He must be - he thinks that what Smithy achieved/didn't achieve over a 2-year span, nullifies what he did achieve over a decade.

The fact that Smithy had a production line of talented youngsters coming through at the Eels for a decade proves that he knows how identify young talent, set up pathways, and nurture it.

Two bad years at the shitshow that was the Knights back then doesn't disprove that.

Last edited:
He must be - he thinks that what Smithy achieved/didn't achieve over a 2-year span, nullifies what he did achieve over a decade.

The fact that Smithy had a production line of talented youngsters coming through at the Eels for a decade proves that he knows how identify young talent, set up pathways, and nurture it.

Two bad years at the shitshow that was the Knights back then doesn't diaporbw that.

I didn’t rate him as a coach becuase he choked in the big games but the club building I could not deny him of that. Brilliant eye for talent, technically a really good teacher of League.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I didn’t rate him as a coach becuase he choked in the big games but the club building I could not deny him of that. Brilliant eye for talent, technically a really good teacher of League.

Yeah, I agree.

He knows rugby league, but man-management was his biggest weakness.

But he would be incredible as a Head Of Football - could give Ryles some advice on tactics, help set up Junior pathways...

We can dream.

But we are stuck with Buckets.

Yeah, I agree.

He knows rugby league, but man-management was his biggest weakness.

But he would be incredible as a Head Of Football - could give Ryles some advice on tactics, help set up Junior pathways...

We can dream.

But we are stuck with Buckets.
BUCKETS OF SHIT - BOS. Instead of MON, we should say BOS.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Two bad years at the shitshow that was the Knights back then doesn't disprove that.
It’s possible that the process Smith used only worked for us at the time because very few of the other clubs were doing it. I’m sure by about 2005 most of them were. These days they’re all doing it, and the results are limited by how well they can fund it. This would explain why it didn’t work at Newcastle but did at Easts.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It’s possible that the process Smith used only worked for us at the time because very few of the other clubs were doing it. I’m sure by about 2005 most of them were. These days they’re all doing it, and the results are limited by how well they can fund it. This would explain why it didn’t work at Newcastle but did at Easts.

Yes, yes, but - and here's a counterpoint - Brian Smith is a rugby league savant.

Gronk

Staff member
Not a lot of proof he would be any good at that role. Especially if he hasn't done it before.

I wonder what the job actually entails. Does any here know?
To add to that, I would like to know if anyone actually knows what Steve Murphy does. He seems to cop it deluxe for being a failure at it.

Incorrect

Coach
Not a lot of proof he would be any good at that role. Especially if he hasn't done it before.

I wonder what the job actually entails. Does any here know?
Whatever it entails, I'd back Brian Smith to do it better at 70 years of age than Buckets in the prime of his career.....