What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
For me, the saddest thing about this bid is that, if you forget about the shiitty name, the rest of the design is actually really nice. Just look at the merchandise and the team logo, they easily have the best design team in the comp (except maybe for the rabbitohs), i do believe they would have come up with one of the best jerseys in the comp. Plus, having blue and dark orange, they have claimed the last of the three perfect colour schemes.

If they had just called the team the South Queensland Jets or , or something along those lines, they could have been a good choice, but it's just this f*cking name. Trying to copy the broncos and rev up that stupid war against the AFL. They just blow what could have been such a good thing with such a bad name.

Xfactor1979

Bench
Im all for a 2nd Brisbane team for the nrl (Its Australia's 3rd biggest city ffs!) Plus it might kill the Afl team the Lions, which will be happy days, as there's no place for Afl in Brisbane

Another area of interest the nrl could look into: North Qld 2nd team, in particular: Cairns. Cairns is a more popular gateway than Adelaide or Perth

Last edited:

gyallop

Juniors
seriously? so you support no team in Melbourne as thats an AFL town?
where would Cairns draw a crowd from?

Xfactor1979

Bench
seriously? so you support no team in Melbourne as thats an AFL town?
where would Cairns draw a crowd from?

How did the Cairns Taipans basketball team get their fans from in the NBL?

There's no professional sports team over there in Cairns during winter, and the weather is best at that time of the year?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is the Brisbane Bombers NRL Expansion Bid model for expansion profit-driven compared to a ‘community-owned team model?
The Brisbane NRL Expansion Bid has a model for long-term sustainability and needs to be run as a business to ensure we can effectively provide on-going support to grass roots Rugby League. There needs to be a level of profitability in the club to ensure we can do this. As a bid, we are passionate League fans who want to see the code thrive and develop to the level it deserves and needs to be to compete against rival codes. We haven’t seen any plans for any other bids and it wouldn’t be fair to comment on any other ‘models’.

Where will the team be based?
There is a proposed plan for the Brisbane Bombers to be based at the BRC’s (Brisbane Racing Clubs) Doomben facility with multiple training fields, a sports club, administration, pool, gymnasium and training facilities for the Brisbane Bombers. The BRC has endorsed this proposal and it will continue to be pursued along with the Bid Team’s goal of an NRL License.

If another team comes to Brisbane – why should it be the Brisbane Bombers?
The Brisbane Bombers Bid team has been pushing since late 2010 for a 2nd side to enter the NRL out of Brisbane. With an Advisory Board of 12 individuals with a combined 200+ years in Sporting Administration, Politics, Corporate Governance and Business Entrepreneurship, the Bid is well steered for long-term success. A clear-orientation on long-term sustainability and integrity (both on and off the field), community orientation, whilst maintaining a business model that will ensure the team is around decades to come. PwC have been brought into the bid as a consulting firm to maximize the opportunity for success with a range of partners including the BRC which will host the Brisbane Bombers training ground, just minutes from the Brisbane Airport, Suncorp Stadium and the Brisbane CBD.
There is no single element to a Bid to be successful, but many moving parts that needs to be business minded, community oriented and add value to the game of Rugby League. There are multiple advantages that the Brisbane Bombers can provide to the NRL, but pending and ARL Commission directive, the Bid Team will continue to develop a plan for long-term success.

Why should Brisbane have a second-team when other areas don’t have one side?
There is a lot of passion with a number of bidding teams vying for potentially two expansion positions in the National Rugby League. The Brisbane Bombers NRL Expansion Bid is no different. We are passionate, but passion only goes so far. This passion needs to be coupled with a strategic business plan that fits a sustainability focus beyond a 5 or 10 year strategy. Each bidding area has its key strengths as weaknesses. No single bid would be a hands-down ‘shoe-in’ should the ARL Independent Commission call for expansion tenders in 2012 or beyond. The Brisbane Bombers have a very unique set of strengths compared to most bids including:
  • Corporate Dollars Available
  • Community Engagement Opportunities
  • Number of Junior Clubs / players in the vicinity to benefit from a 2nd NRL side
  • TV Rights Broadcasting of a 2nd Brisbane game on a weekly basis
  • Local Derby – Brisbane v Brisbane provides many corporate, networking, sponsorship, community activities that don’t currently exist
  • A Bombers Community Program, with $1 million annually spent on engaging the community through a wide range of activities as well as another $1 million annually on development of Rugby League players from juniors through to Elite squads.
In relation to grassroots, what can the Brisbane Bombers provide to the NRL that another Expansion Bid can’t?
We have been very strategic in our identification of grass roots support opportunities. We understand that there are limited funds and while a proposed increase in funding from Television Rights from 2013 will assist greatly, it won’t be the all-saving grace. We want to have two to three Queensland Cup clubs under our banner so that we can provide financial and off-field support as well as the Sunshine Coast Rugby League (both the Sea Eagles in the state competition and the Sunshine Coast Rugby League) given the tremendous support base for Rugby League – we believe we can have the strongest impact with teams not currently aligned with an NRL side. The Titans have the Southern and Western corridor aligned with their team, the Broncos have a solid-portion of the Brisbane-based Queensland Cup Clubs – we want to be able to align with clubs not currently receiving as much support as they would like, including the areas aforementioned.It is proven in our research that there is easily room for another team in Brisbane. The Broncos have a tremendous supporter base and it is demonstrated that while they have a large number of supporters in Brisbane, there are more than enough potential fans based in Brisbane who are ready to get on board with a second-team, should it be added into the NRL. Part of our long-term planning is to ensure we don’t impact the Broncos – they are by far the most supported team in the NRL and for the proposed new team to provide a strong value proposition to the NRL, we need to ensure we’re not impacting their market, but rather, draw on corporate and public support outside of their current catchment.

Who will own the team?
The Directors have weighed up the opportunities at either a community-owned team or a business-ownership with a community focus. As with a number of successful NRL clubs, the Brisbane Bombers would be a privately owned business with a mandate to facilitate the growth of Rugby League across the community through to junior players to the Elite level whilst maintaining the integrity of the Bid through a focus on: Community, Integrity, Sustainability, Success.

With Titans and the Broncos already established in SE QLD can a new NRL team survive and prosper?
Most definitely. With three teams and effectively 3,000,000 people in SEQ a third NRL team will help to strengthen the NRL brand in Queensland. The local derby concept will be bought to a new level with effectively a Battle of Brisbane happening twice a year and State Derbies throughout the course of the season. In the target area north of Brisbane, both the Moreton Bay Shire and Sunshine Coast Regional Council will have more than 500,000 people each over the next decade, providing a total catchment of 4,000,000+.

http://www.brisbanebombers.com.au/faq/

spoonman

Juniors
I can't understand the hate for this team. I can only endorse my anecdotal evidence (as with most people in this forum) that this team will be supported. I have know of plenty of people that would buy a season ticket and a handful of businesses that would support it as well. I myself am a broncos supporter (initially a bears supporter) but would happily change teams, plus there a more than a few lifetime sydney team supportors that would support the bombers as their second team and attended matches.
Agreed the name 'Bombers' initially made me cringe but as with most people it has really grown on me. From memory the 'broncos' name was canned due to being to 'Americanized' but nobody thinks of that now. From a marketing point of view I can see fans wearing aviators and bomber jackets sitting side by side with jersey wearing fans. Like how the West Coast Pirates are looking to entice kids to their game.
Finally the two teams that will be introduced in 2017 will be a second brisbane team and the west coast pirates... so we all might as well get used to it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
From their Facebook page:
Our first newsletter will be out early August and a special announcement which will make an impact in the NRL and ensure the ARL Commission hear our message.
We look forward to sharing plenty of news with you - enlisted members will receive the announcement, press releases and information ahead of time.

Diesel

Referee
I bet this bid is really regretting the Bombers nickname they chose (not the fans as much as they say)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Considering connected connotations, they would probably have been better off going with something less tainted

....like the Nazis or the Klan maybe.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bombers set for major announcement
As the 2013 NRL Season speeds up towards the penultimate rounds, the Brisbane Bombers NRL Expansion Bid are busily preparing for a major announcement which will once again flag the credential for Brisbane NRL Rugby League Expansion.

With a host of Bids vying for inclusion in the coming years, the Brisbane Bombers will send a clear message to the NRL ahead of the expansion review process which will commence at seasons end 2014.

The Bid Team has launched a campaign to ‘enlist now’ to provide e-members an advance notification of the announcement and news on the Bid Development.

More to come…

From Bombers website.

Diesel

Referee
Hopefully announcing they are out.

Brisbane doesn't want/need the Bombers, Brisbane needs/wants the Western Corridor or Brothers bid

Garbler

Juniors
Hopefully announcing they are out.

Brisbane doesn't want/need the Bombers, Brisbane needs/wants the Western Corridor or Brothers bid

Here. Here.

The whole bid seems like it was conceived and is sustained by one man's ego. Craig Davison has seen an opportunity for expansion as an excuse for him to exploit he's business connections & apparent business acumen for personal glory and reward.

If I was the NRL I would be trying to convince him to work with the Western bids. The more bids the more disappointment, the more wasted monies & time.

Western Corridor for me is just innovative enough, that if it is run correctly it will really be a run away success. The NRL needs some clever new initiatives to generate wider (nation-wide) appeal - Western Corridor will deliver more interest over more of a population than any other could (It will even have its fingers interstate in Darwin).

Bombers on the other hand, appeals to the Davison household. Fail. The quicker the NRL sweeps this bid under the rug the better.