What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

Diesel

Referee
The SQ Crushers where owned by the QRL, so that could've been the "different feel" and grassroots link you are referring to, there was nothing plastic about that club.

docbrown

Coach
Out of interest did the the SQ Crushers have a "different" feel about them?

To some degree. They were definitely built from the grassroots up, partially as a response to the Broncos taking all the top BRL players and the demise of those clubs. To be fair though the whole thing's overshadowed by super league so it's hard to judge.

As much as it would be nice to see a resurrected/elevated QRL club in the NRL they're not going to appeal to every former QRL supporter (those old rivalries still exist). Rather they need to represent what the comp embodied. A potential idea - the second Brisbane side should look at funding and resurrecting some of the fallen QRL sides as their feeders. That's one way of showing due respect, not just leaching off the system...

As you said, a resurrected QRL club/a small suburban club/or a soulless plastic club are likely to be minnows when compared to the Broncos. So forget the notion that the flaws of a second club can be fixed with a third club later on. That may never even happen and misses the point entirely.

There's enough people in Brisbane who follow rugby league but who don't follow the Broncos to ensure that the right club model taps into that support and becomes one of the biggest teams in the league. That's the goal.

Imitating the Broncos isn't going to do that, nor is trying to convert Broncos fans in the Broncos most hardcore suburbs. The Bombers seem intent on being Broncos 'Lite' and I suspect they'll mostly cannabilise Broncos support.

Tone83 said:
Well said docbrown (wherever you posted it), what do you think of a "south brisbane" club? And I agree they should have a rebellious anti establishment vibe to counter the clean cut corporate broncs and appeal to the rough southsiders. The nrl's oakland raiders.

Yep, South & West Brisbane is where the next club should have their heartlands but they should be big enough to play out of Lang Park.

They should basically come out and slap the Broncos in the face. They need to 'out-Brisbane' and 'out-Queensland' the Broncos. Calling themselves South Queensland is an idea.

I've said it before - if they really want to fuel the flames then go just call themselves 'Queensland' etc. Then find an image that all the people that hate the Broncos can unite behind. The user Applesauce was on the money with lifting an image out of wider Brisbane culture, using the the Brisbane council griffin (lion/eagle hybrid - king of the beasts) as the mascot. Queensland Kings was a potential name.

The other names that were floating around here were Brisbane/South Queensland Jets/Kookaburras/Bushrangers/Rangers.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yep, South & West Brisbane is where the next club should have their heartlands but they should be big enough to play out of Lang Park.

They should basically come out and slap the Broncos in the face. They need to 'out-Brisbane' and 'out-Queensland' the Broncos. Calling themselves South Queensland is an idea.

I've said it before - if they really want to fuel the flames then go just call themselves 'Queensland' etc. Then find an image that all the people that hate the Broncos can unite behind. The user Applesauce was on the money with lifting an image out of wider Brisbane culture, using the the Brisbane council griffin (lion/eagle hybrid - king of the beasts) as the mascot..

That has heaps of potential, now I'm not a Queenslander so I'm not sure if this is a very good idea or not, but maybe you play on the "rebel against the corporations that killed our history" even more and simply call yourselves the Rebels, Outlaws or Brotherhood and use a bikie like character as your mascot and moniker.

Now obviously you don't want to go to hardcore with this moniker, so you would just take the good and distinguishing parts ignore the rest, for example the motorcycles, tattoos, facial hair and attire are in, but the rest is condemned, much like the Raiders did with the viking moniker.

In this context the bikie would be used to represent everything the Broncos are not, the Broncos being the clean cut millionaires that have got everything they have at the expense of proud traditions and long held ideals. Where the bikie would be the down and dirty survivor of a bygone era that survives only to remember and honor these lost traditions and try to revive them.

As I said at the start I'm not from Brisbane, so I can never really know what is a good concept for them and what is a bad one, and this downtrodden, and mistreated character that I use a bikie to represent would not necessarily have to be a bikie, but I went with a bikie because at the moment they are the thing that best represents rebels in Australia today and because it is very original as a sports teams moniker as far as I know.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whilst I think everyone would prefer to see a grass roots Brisbane side there are only two bids on the table at the moment. Bombers and WC. Bombers are ticking the corporate/money boxes whilst WC seemingly aren't ticking many at all. For me I don't care if they are a Broncos2, if they can be half as succesful as the Broncos they will still be one of the biggest clubs in the NRL. Only question remains for me is can they attract a 20k+ supporter base with the set up they have got?

Things are pretty quiet from all the bids at the moment but I expect as 2014 draws around things will really ramp up again as the ARLC review takes place at end of 2014.

GAZF

First Grade
To some degree. They were definitely built from the grassroots up, partially as a response to the Broncos taking all the top BRL players and the demise of those clubs. To be fair though the whole thing's overshadowed by super league so it's hard to judge.

As much as it would be nice to see a resurrected/elevated QRL club in the NRL they're not going to appeal to every former QRL supporter (those old rivalries still exist). Rather they need to represent what the comp embodied. A potential idea - the second Brisbane side should look at funding and resurrecting some of the fallen QRL sides as their feeders. That's one way of showing due respect, not just leaching off the system...

As you said, a resurrected QRL club/a small suburban club/or a soulless plastic club are likely to be minnows when compared to the Broncos. So forget the notion that the flaws of a second club can be fixed with a third club later on. That may never even happen and misses the point entirely.

There's enough people in Brisbane who follow rugby league but who don't follow the Broncos to ensure that the right club model taps into that support and becomes one of the biggest teams in the league. That's the goal.

Imitating the Broncos isn't going to do that, nor is trying to convert Broncos fans in the Broncos most hardcore suburbs. The Bombers seem intent on being Broncos 'Lite' and I suspect they'll mostly cannabilise Broncos support.

I've said it before - if they really want to fuel the flames then go just call themselves 'Queensland' etc. Then find an image that all the people that hate the Broncos can unite behind. The user Applesauce was on the money with lifting an image out of wider Brisbane culture, using the the Brisbane council griffin (lion/eagle hybrid - king of the beasts) as the mascot. Queensland Kings was a potential name.

The other names that were floating around here were Brisbane/South Queensland Jets/Kookaburras/Bushrangers/Rangers.

The name "Kings" just doesn't capture the imagination of the working class imo. Such a brand would work against the idea of a grassroots club, regardless of their actions. I really liked the name Brisbane/SQ Brewers name a lot when it was suggested. I'm sure someone would get their nose out of joint if it ever eventuated though.

Tone83

Juniors
I don't see 20k people getting behind them, like we're saying there's just nothing about them that would appeal to anyone in brisbane. The bid simply fails from the outset, the premise of it is entirely wrong. Its like a japanese kid thats never been to australia created the team on his playstation.

Diesel

Referee
If anyone is talking about bids in Brisbane, its the WC bid that gets mentioned, not the Bombers.

The guys running the Bombers are ex-Broncos, so don't expect tooth different from the Broncs.

Was the Brothers bid a pie in the sky type bid, or something that could merge with the WC bid?

Whilst I think everyone would prefer to see a grass roots Brisbane side there are only two bids on the table at the moment. Bombers and WC. Bombers are ticking the corporate/money boxes whilst WC seemingly aren't ticking many at all. For me I don't care if they are a Broncos2, if they can be half as succesful as the Broncos they will still be one of the biggest clubs in the NRL. Only question remains for me is can they attract a 20k+ supporter base with the set up they have got?

Things are pretty quiet from all the bids at the moment but I expect as 2014 draws around things will really ramp up again as the ARLC review takes place at end of 2014.
What boxes are they? A logo? A few sponsors would are sponsors in name only, not on actually funding? A few news paper articles? Yeah heaps of boxes! Meanwhile WC already has a QRL side and juniors in its region much like CCBears and CQLD.

Bombers don't have shit, except one big mouth idiot. Why do you think Rae left the bid? Sinking ship before it even left port.

gyallop

Juniors
The bombers and WC are opposite poles. Bombers is about making a buck out of the game and Bombers is a good name as they want to drop a team into Brisbane. WC is a community club wanting to build a club from within from a massive junior base.
Bombers have a few named sponsors but that doesnt mean they have promised real coin. WC had a massive Japanese land company lined up for a rumoured $1.5m naming rights if they had gotten the go ahead.
Red the only area the Bombers are "ahead" up here is self publicity.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What boxes are they? A logo? A few sponsors would are sponsors in name only, not on actually funding? A few news paper articles? Yeah heaps of boxes! Meanwhile WC already has a QRL side and juniors in its region much like CCBears and CQLD.

Bombers don't have shit, except one big mouth idiot. Why do you think Rae left the bid? Sinking ship before it even left port.

The hate is soooo strong!

They've got corporate sponsors lined up, have RL businesmen with track records leading the bid, have plans for grass roots link ups, have a plan for a training base and HQ, have a stadium MOU with the best RL stadium in the country signed up and have a brand (love it or loath it).

It is more than the WC bid has so far come forward with. Who else is involved with the WC bid other than Steven Johnson? I would prefer to a SE Queensland Jets or similiar but so far they have shown little to suggest they have the infrastructure and people on board. As I have said many times they may be keeping things very much close to their chest, we shall see.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.a...ce-doomben-base-nrl-bid-team-pushing/1570879/

Tone83

Juniors
That should be a bit of a clue that they're a terrible idea. I have no doubt they could muster up 20 000 haters, they're that much of an insult to brisbanites.

I'd love to see this team entered into the league at the same time as a south brisbane club, just to laugh at the huge gaping difference in the amount of support each would get. The South Brisbane Fairies would get more support than the brisbane bombers, no joke.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I thought it was more to do with the fact this is the bid that is probably going to keep his beloved Bears out of the NRL?

Diesel

Referee
I'd prefer the Bears in the NRL than the Bombers, and I live in Brisbane.

We'd take a relocated Bears in Brisbane over this Bombers bid

docbrown

Coach
maybe you play on the "rebel against the corporations that killed our history"

That's the right message to sell.

'Rebels' is probably out because of Melbourne Super Rugby but who knows - Brisbane Rebels/South Queensland Rebels/Queensland Rebels?

The Bushranger motif - Brisbane Bushrangers/South Queensland Bush Rangers/Queensland Bushrangers/Brisbane Rangers/South Queensland Rangers/Queensland Rangers has a similar quality.

Whilst I think everyone would prefer to see a grass roots Brisbane side there are only two bids on the table at the moment.

Like I've said, if the only options are crap then don't pick crap just for the sake of it. Instead the NRL should build a stronger club themselves.

You only get one moment in history to do these things right.

The name "Kings" just doesn't capture the imagination of the working class imo.

It's a broader alternative in order to use the esoteric 'Griffin' theme.

The idea to market would be that they're the Kings because they're the real owners of Brisbane.

I don't think we'll see the Brewers name for obvious reasons.

WC is a community club wanting to build a club from within from a massive junior base.

That's the better way to go about it.

Last edited:

They've got corporate sponsors lined up, have RL businesmen with track records leading the bid, have plans for grass roots link ups, have a plan for a training base and HQ, have a stadium MOU with the best RL stadium in the country signed up and have a brand (love it or loath it).

It is more than the WC bid has so far come forward with. Who else is involved with the WC bid other than Steven Johnson? I would prefer to a SE Queensland Jets or similiar but so far they have shown little to suggest they have the infrastructure and people on board. As I have said many times they may be keeping things very much close to their chest, we shall see.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.a...ce-doomben-base-nrl-bid-team-pushing/1570879/

There's no hate just truth and a whole bunch of it.

How on earth does a Western Australian know what's best for QLD as far as the next franchise is going to be. Further more how does someone who has never spent proper time in Brisbane or Ipswich determine which bid is stronger. And even more to the point why do you continually beat the Bombers bids drum here and many a Queenslander, Brisbane-ite detests them including Applesauce who was Brisbane 2's biggest supporter up until the point when they became the soulless clueless Bombers.

Ipswich is or was the biggest growth corridor in Australia, Perth is a growth corridor, Central Coast is a growth corridor. Brisbane is full, signs up and they have their team already. The Broncos. What SEQLD needs is a community built team and the WC (Jagera) will be that in time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't beat anyone's drum other than my bid, the WC Pirates. I just post anything I find relating to expansion regardless of which bid. Tbh I don't really care who gets the 2nd spot as long as the warl bid gets the first spot.

When people are critical of any bid I like to have a look to see if their opinion is accurate or if there is conflicting information to that opinion. To say the Bombers bid is all hot air is clearly untrue when you look at the press releases they have made about the plans they are putting in place. I lay no claim to having any detailed information on any bid, the same as everyone else on here. I base my opinions on the information that is put out in the public domain.the arlc will determine which bids are successful based on the criteria they set. We are just speculating and discussing. If you don't like it then ignore this forum because everything on here is speculation and snippets based on info put out by the bids!

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Brisbane dolphins based out of redcliffe sounds like the go to me. Could be based on the same model as port Adelaide.