What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

THE CHAMP

First Grade
They have the crappiest name i have ever heard.
Surely they can come up with something better than bombers ffs?

Tone83

Juniors
The sunshine coast can have these "bombers", Brisbane deserves a better team than that, and one focussed on the south side.

TTL

Juniors
The sunshine coast can have these "bombers", Brisbane deserves a better team than that, and one focussed on the south side.

Better than what? A polished, well presented expansion Bid.

Brisbane needs a second team to play alternative weekends to broncos at Suncorp.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Better than what? A polished, well presented expansion Bid.

Brisbane needs a second team to play alternative weekends to broncos at Suncorp.

The Bombers is (are??) none of these things.

They are a bad version of the Broncos, except without any of the support and none of the money. Just guys in suits to make the bid look professional.

There is no reason for this team to be any more successful than the Brothers or the Jets, and a hundred reasons for them to be less so.

Diehards

Juniors
The Bombers just arent relevant! What do they stand for? Broncos Mark II...

They would be a distant 3rd behind Brothers & Western Corridor

Perth Red

Post Whore
tbf the Broncos are the biggest, wealthiest, best supported club in the NRL. Would it really be that bad to have another one?

The Great Dane

First Grade
tbf the Broncos are the biggest, wealthiest, best supported club in the NRL. Would it really be that bad to have another one?

In Brisbane yes, the Broncos cater to a specific part of the RL market in Brisbane, what makes them so successful compared to other teams in larger RL markets (Sydney for example) is that they don't have to share their niche in the RL market up their with anybody else.

So if we add in a carbon copy of them then that team will target the same niche in the RL market unnecessarily and split that market in two creating two weaker clubs instead of one strong one, when we had a couple of other options for teams that target different markets within Brisbane that would only have as minimal as possible effects on the Broncos market wise and still have the support to be incredibly successful, namely the niche that hates the corporate style of the Broncos and wants a more traditional Brisbane based club to support.

A Broncos/Storm style club in Perth or Adelaide on the other hand would be a very good thing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not necessarily. There may be many people who refuse to follow the Broncos due to historic reasons (seen as the cause of the decline in the Brisbane league clubs), SL and Broncos haven't had to work at building their fanbase. Mine concern about the grassroots bids are that they will not have the corporate firepower to take on the Broncos and could really struggle to make any dent once the Broncos fire up from the competition.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Not necessarily. There may be many people who refuse to follow the Broncos due to historic reasons (seen as the cause of the decline in the Brisbane league clubs), SL and Broncos haven't had to work at building their fanbase. Mine concern about the grassroots bids are that they will not have the corporate firepower to take on the Broncos and could really struggle to make any dent once the Broncos fire up from the competition.

Exactly!

That's why we need an old brand with the appearance of a heritage grassroots club for the people that has grassroots backing and fan support, but with good placement in Southern Brisbane and with strong corporate support.

That's why the Brothers bid is so appealing, and other bids like it but with a stronger focus on Brisbane could be so great.

Imagine the the Diehards or another one of the old BRL clubs/brands like the Magpies, Jets or maybe even Scorpions for something a little different, all of whom have better links in the South of Brisbane, in the competition along with Broncos and a wandering Brothers club.

That would cover all the bases and make sure that Brisbane get it's fill of NRL every year, without an over saturation of clubs (IMO). And I bet that their is enough corporate support in Brisbane for all three and that the Broadcasters would be all for it.

RUG13Y

Juniors

Oh FFS. You dont get it do you. :roll: Any club with half a brain would be the biggest and wealthiest and best supported if they too were the only NRL representative in a city of 2 million. That same club also seeked and destroyed its cross town rival. What Brisbanites want is a community/traditional club over a plastic corporate.

RUG13Y

Juniors
Mine concern about the grassroots bids are that they will not have the corporate firepower to take on the Broncos and could really struggle to make any dent once the Broncos fire up from the competition.

The Broncos can only have so many sponsors and ones that do not conflict from the same market. Hence there is plenty of corporate backers dying to be involved.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Oh FFS. You dont get it do you. :roll: Any club with half a brain would be the biggest and wealthiest and best supported if they too were the only NRL representative in a city of 2 million. That same club also seeked and destroyed its cross town rival. What Brisbanites want is a community/traditional club over a plastic corporate.
absolutely

bobmar28

Bench
North Queensland has a team, Brisbane has the Broncos, Gold Coast has the Titans. That leaves the Southwest corridor. The Ipswich Jets will fill that space nicely.

Green River Eel

Juniors
Absolute shite name for a team, the bombers, why take an AFL teams name, cant these QLD twin heads think of anything original like the broncos, cowboys or titans BWAHAHAHAHA, fekking simpletons up there.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Absolute shite name for a team, the bombers, why take an AFL teams name, cant these QLD twin heads think of anything original like the broncos, cowboys or titans BWAHAHAHAHA, fekking simpletons up there.

100% agree apart from the qlder bullshit. They're branding could not b any worse.
Keep an eye out for other bids coming right over the top of them.
I know of one that is very close to going public.

Titanic

First Grade
I am a Brisbane Wests supporter but think that the Brothers bid has lot more mileage in it than some Broncos clone like the Bombers … in fact bugger the Bombers. Brothers at least has a supporter base in Queensland and PNG … that would solve the PNG feeder club issue too. I also dislike the Broncos, Titans and Cowboys names … so easily could have been the Flood, the Pirates and the Stingers or any other fairdinkum non-US brand.

Most of all I would support the two their competition that Dave Smith has suggested.

Last edited:

Latest posts