What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

THE CHAMP

First Grade
I am a Brisbane Wests supporter but think that the Brothers bid has lot more mileage in it than some Broncos clone like the Bombers ? in fact bugger the Bombers. Brothers at least has a supporter base in Queensland and PNG ? that would solve the PNG feeder club issue too. I also dislike the Broncos, Titans and Cowboys names ? so easily could have been the Flood, the Pirates and the Stingers or any other fairdinkum non-US brand.

Most of all I would support the two their competition that Dave Smith has suggested.

Your alternatives are pretty shit tbh. Stingers???!!! Ffs

Green River Eel

Juniors
100% agree apart from the qlder bullshit. They're branding could not b any worse.
Keep an eye out for other bids coming right over the top of them.
I know of one that is very close to going public.

lol cheers mate, just having a little dig at my northern mates, lol

In all seriousness the bombers name and emblem is very very poor, it would be the worst in the comp if they got in, it evokes nothing, just boring and bland, theres so many fantastic things endemic to qld you could choose, anything would be better than the bombers, and the emblem is so bland and painful.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
lol cheers mate, just having a little dig at my northern mates, lol

In all seriousness the bombers name and emblem is very very poor, it would be the worst in the comp if they got in, it evokes nothing, just boring and bland, theres so many fantastic things endemic to qld you could choose, anything would be better than the bombers, and the emblem is so bland and painful.

GRE I think we both know a second Brisbane team is essential in the growing of this great game.
It couldn't possibly fail if it's done correctly. I have had contact with some people in their organisation and I can categorically state that at this point they are 100% behind this terrible terrible brand.
Obviously Craig Davison (the money) came up with it that is the only reason I can think of.
I feel that an old club branding eg diehards, brothers ect is a bad idea because I can't see easts tigers or wynumn seagulls fans getting on board.
It has to be something original with great marketability.
There is something on the horizon that is a fantastic alternative to the plastic over funded brand that is the bombers.

RUG13Y

Juniors
And how many diehard Easts Tigers fans are there? Of those Im sure they are smart enough to see the benefits of a traditional team, that would bring focus to BRL history.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I am still a big Easts fan, and was pretty ambivalent towards Brothers growing up.

But the there is an undeniable tie between their bid and BRL history, and that appeals to me greatly having seen that history washed away with the coming of the Broncos.

My opinion is that my view would be in the majority.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
And how many diehard Easts Tigers fans are there? Of those Im sure they are smart enough to see the benefits of a traditional team, that would bring focus to BRL history.

IM not sure if you live in Brisbane but u should go to a qld cup game ah Langlands park and see the turnout they get. Same it redcliffe and wynumn. The support is still strong and as a wests panthers supporter from way back a team like the bretheren has no appeal to me whatsoever.
We need a new brand. One that can be supported by the fans of all of the Brisbane qld cup fans disenchanted by the Broncos.

RUG13Y

Juniors
I am still a big Easts fan, and was pretty ambivalent towards Brothers growing up.

But the there is an undeniable tie between their bid and BRL history, and that appeals to me greatly having seen that history washed away with the coming of the Broncos.

I think an increased knowledge base of the BRL in the NRL would honour clubs such as Easts Tigers and the rest.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Brisbane based qld cup clubs affiliate themselves with Mel clubs.
Do you think east tigers would b happy being a feeder club for brothers?
I think no but u may disagree.
My opinion is to bring all brl clubs together behind a new brand with no connections. to the past.
Old brl rivalries still exhist.
This bid has to be perfect to ensure it's success bombers or brothers done cut it imo.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Brisbane based qld cup clubs affiliate themselves with Mel clubs.
Do you think east tigers would b happy being a feeder club for brothers?
I think no but u may disagree.
My opinion is to bring all brl clubs together behind a new brand with no connections. to the past.
Old brl rivalries still exhist.
This bid has to be perfect to ensure it's success bombers or brothers done cut it imo.

Well name a brand that with no connection to any individual BRL club, can unite the old BRL fans and fans who can't stand the Broncos under one banner without it coming off as plastic and/or tacky, and equally represents all parties involved.

I think it is very, very unlikely that such a brand that can unite so many different groups and have all of them happy with the outcome exists.

Bringing an old BRL brand like the Brothers into the NRL would be very beneficial to the NRL if executed properly (especially the Brothers when considering their reach and popularity), but bringing the Brothers in would mean that another team would be needed in Brisbane for the NRL to cover the Queensland market for the foreseeable future.

That means that we could create two new teams, one that connects the BRL directly to the NRL and another that has no affiliation to any other RL entities that can represent whats left of the BRL fans who refuse to support the Brothers and the Broncos haters that don't necessarily connect with the BRL and/or the Brothers as supporters of this new team.

Last edited:

THE CHAMP

First Grade
I have never been a fan of brothers rlfc so I can only go on what I have heard or read.
Correct me if I am wrong but weren't they a catholic football club?

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Well name a brand that with no connection to any individual BRL club, can unite the old BRL fans and fans who can't stand the Broncos under one banner without it coming off as plastic and/or tacky, and equally represents all parties involved.

I think it is very, very unlikely that such a brand that can unite so many different groups and have all of them happy with the outcome exists.

Bringing an old BRL brand like the Brothers into the NRL would be very beneficial to the NRL if executed properly (especially the Brothers when considering their reach and popularity), but bringing the Brothers in would mean that another team would be needed in Brisbane for the NRL to cover the Queensland market for the foreseeable future.

That means that we could create two new teams, one that connects the BRL directly to the NRL and another that has no affiliation to any other RL entities that can represent whats left of the BRL fans who refuse to support the Brothers and the Broncos haters that don't necessarily connect with the BRL and/or the Brothers as supporters of this new team.

You are suggesting that Brisbane should have 2 more teams?
Maybe in 10 years we may get a third but let's try to look at things in the next 4-5 years if you don't mind.
There are other brands out there hell use your imagination u may even be able to think of one.

taipan

Referee
If they want to retain some semblance to Bombers ,why not Hornets.The RAAF based in Qld , uses them.

And we don't look silly replicating the fumblers with Bombers.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I have never been a fan of brothers rlfc so I can only go on what I have heard or read.
Correct me if I am wrong but weren't they a catholic football club?

Yeah that's basically how they started out, but that makes no difference these days as they are very much passed those days.

They're really only Brothers in name these days, but if that turns out to be a problem then they could always go with Leprechauns as the name.

You are suggesting that Brisbane should have 2 more teams?

If Brothers get the nod then yes Brisbane should have a third team.

Under the Brothers current proposal they'd only play 6-8 games in Brisbane a season with the others spread all over Queensland and the NT in cities that have Brothers teams.

The Brothers proposal is a very good one if it can be pulled off, as it is killing two birds with one stone and opening a door into the NT for the long term in the future, but Brisbane really needs at least one game every week and Brothers wouldn't be providing that so we'd need another team in Brisbane.

Maybe in 10 years we may get a third but let's try to look at things in the next 4-5 years if you don't mind.

When talking about expansion you can't only talk about the near future, as a decision we make now that might be a good one for the near future may really hurt us the 10, 20 or 30 years time and that needs to be avoided if possible, otherwise we end up with situations like the one in Sydney.

There are other brands out there hell use your imagination u may even be able to think of one.

I can think of thousands of new sporting brands (I particularly like idea of The Sea Lions, Mandrills or Simians as IMO these are cool and interesting brands that as far as I know have never been used in professional sport internationally), but I can't think of one that would please and carter to all the different groups in Brisbane.

Maybe a person from Brisbane who's lived there all their lives could think of a perfect uniting emblem, but I doubt it as I've lived in Canberra all my life and I can't think of one that everyone in Canberra would be happy with, I can think of a few that would come close, such as The Swans, Grays, Ancients, Brumbies, etc, but none that are perfect.

If they want to retain some semblance to Bombers ,why not Hornets.The RAAF based in Qld , uses them.

And we don't look silly replicating the fumblers with Bombers.

That's a very good idea.

Would be even better if they had a mural of a Hornet (insect) on the Hornet (plane) in their logo, you know like the pinups that crews used to paint on their planes.

And their colours could be grey, yellow and black.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'm in favour of the Brothers being admired, but in terms of a new brand that won't turn brother-haters away...

Wasn't there a BRL United team that traveled down to Sydney for a 7's tournament???
How about that for connecting to ALL the old teams??

Does anyone have a link to the YouTube video of this??? (Against the sharks ) it was a nice jersey in blue I think...

Nerd

Bench

Yep my thoughts as well.

axl rose

Bench

I like it. At least its a bit more marketable. Every second kid has one of those NBA Hornets caps back in the day.

johnny plath

Juniors
It seems like the second brisbane team is trying to establish itself on geographical terms, and I really wonder if this is a good approach. I have lived south and north of the river in Brisbane, and to me there is no difference in the mix of support for and against the Broncos, so I don't think you can frame it up that way. I get that the Sydney rivalrys work that way, but that evolved, I don't think you can just create it overnight. I am interested to hear from anyone who Knows how some of the other great rivalries around other sport work, for example are the two Manchesters in Soccer based on location, or does something else make the rivalry. In Super league, are the Hull teams rivals because they are from some different part of the city, or does something else make them hate each other. Just depends what you want from a second Brisbane team - another team to watch and support in Brisbane, or a true rival for the Broncos.

Bulldog Force

Referee
It seems like the second brisbane team is trying to establish itself on geographical terms, and I really wonder if this is a good approach. I have lived south and north of the river in Brisbane, and to me there is no difference in the mix of support for and against the Broncos, so I don't think you can frame it up that way. I get that the Sydney rivalrys work that way, but that evolved, I don't think you can just create it overnight. I am interested to hear from anyone who Knows how some of the other great rivalries around other sport work, for example are the two Manchesters in Soccer based on location, or does something else make the rivalry. In Super league, are the Hull teams rivals because they are from some different part of the city, or does something else make them hate each other. Just depends what you want from a second Brisbane team - another team to watch and support in Brisbane, or a true rival for the Broncos.

Look at the A-League. Sydney FC was first brought in as a whole of Sydney team, but with the WSW now in, Sydney FC is like a City CBD/Eastern Suburbs team!

paulmac

Juniors
Crushers for mine.They averaged 21000 in their first season the the clusterf**k that was super league came along.Plus I still have a Crushers magnet on my fridge.

Latest posts