What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I totally forgot this bid still existed...

BTW, what ever happened to the SE QLD bid?? is that still going, or did they quit...

Which SEQ bid, there are three of them.

The ARL told everyone to stop the self-promotion until the review into expansion is completed, which is why all of the bids have gone quiet.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Which SEQ bid, there are three of them.

Sorry, hit the wrong button...

I meant South WEST bid. The Jets one thats not using the name "Jets" for some reason.

The ARL told everyone to stop the self-promotion until the review into expansion is completed, which is why all of the bids have gone quiet.

Makes sence. Have the SW bid at least picked a name?? i remember them thinking about some tacky indigenous reference....

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Sorry, hit the wrong button...

I meant South WEST bid. The Jets one thats not using the name "Jets" for some reason.

Makes sence. Have the SW bid at least picked a name?? i remember them thinking about some tacky indigenous reference....

Western Corridor bid, it still has Fb and Twitter accounts that are semi-active but the website is down (it only had a logo anyway).

Jagera was proposed at one stage (name of the tribe in the area) but nothing is set in stone as far as I can tell. I'm a fan of unique names so I'd actually prefer that or Rivercity, etc instead of just Brisbane2.

oikee

Juniors
Look, this is a braindead issue.
You would be braindead if you dont get a second team into Brisbane ASAP.
I think Brisbane could have 3 teams, that is another story, for now they need to get a derby team up and running.
The Bomber bid should get behind the Brothers bid, another no-brainer, and the Gold Coast should join forces with Central Queensland. Play half there games in Robina, the other half in Central Queensland Rockhampton.
This will solve a few problems, one is the support that the Gold Coast is getting, which is very minimal.
It is costing the Titans a fortune to just survive at Robina, why should league support a position that is lacking funds, unlike the Suns which seems to be getting a free run as ussual, AFL looked after, NRL sand kicked in face.
Brothers in Brisbane, then look at a third team down the track. Brisbane is the future for league, time someone with half a brain woke up to the growth the code can achieve by expanding into Brisbane.

oikee

Juniors
Our code needs visionaries, when are we going to see someone announce some big expansion plans, when are we going to see growth.
The game has stagnated, we can all see that surely.

Patorick

Staff member
Christ, that was mind-numbingly dull...

What was the point of that interview other than filler?? A bid chairman comes on to say he has no information on the bidding...
Visual stimulation.

No, really.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
I saw a bloke at the pub yesterday wearing Brisbane Browns T shirt . He's trying to get the brand some exposure. It looked good based around a brown snake.

oikee

Juniors
I see they have finally come out and sunk the boot into Andrew Johns for turning the women off rugby league. ??
3 years too late, but why blame Johns. This all started at the Brookie Brawl. Since then the game lost support after more fighting, more head high tackles injuring players, and then the players themselves weeing on the code. Packer and Carney.

Look, expansion needs to happen, and fast before AFL gets a foothold in Brisbane with the new CEO from Melbourne headkicker coming in to take over Brisbane. Let that happen and the code is back another 20 years .
We also need another team into NZ, ASAP.
The Warriors catn beat the Australian teams on their own, and with their best talent being poached across the ditch every year, they are always on the back foot, and will never win a comp.
Compare them to the Swans, who the AFL know will do good because they make sure they dont get bullied, unlike the Warriors, who get their faces kicked in by Manly every year.

This code needs to wake up, now.
Because the way things are going, i have just about given up watching the same spoiling tactics Manly have used for 5 years now.
They are not growing the code. They will never grow the code and people are turning off, check the TV ratings.
Our code has no idea unless they are told, like the women did told them, 3 years too late again for the NRL to react.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is RL really so weak in Brisbane that the change of boss at a afl club is going to seriously hurt the game there? Me thinks you over exaggerate a little!

Reality is broncos are not as strong as eagles were when they brought in the dockers so I wonder if a second Brisbane club will cannibalise the support of the broncos rather than create new supporters to the NRL? Eagles sell out every game before season starts, broncos should be doing the same.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Is RL really so weak in Brisbane that the change of boss at a afl club is going to seriously hurt the game there? Me thinks you over exaggerate a little!

Reality is broncos are not as strong as eagles were when they brought in the dockers so I wonder if a second Brisbane club will cannibalise the support of the broncos rather than create new supporters to the NRL? Eagles sell out every game before season starts, broncos should be doing the same.

I put the Broncos shitty governance down to a lack of competition (and therefore lack of motivation)...

Compared to the 9 Sydney clubs, running the Broncos to that standard is piss easy. Compared to the other codes, there will always be excuses; "theyre just having a good year","their supporters are just former NZers/Victorians", ect.

The only way to really embarrass them into performing off the field is adding another NRL team in Brisbane (playing out of Suncorp).

2 (or even 3) Brisbane teams would create an "arms-race" for fans, becaus no one would want to be the little guy...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe but any new club coming in is going to have to have massive pockets to make any sort of challenge. When Dockers came in they were very much the poor cousin to Eagles and it took them many many years, and eagles selling out all games therefore limiting their growth, before Dockers stopped losing money and grew their fanbase to catch up. Any new Brisbane club will face the same challenges.

taipan

Referee
Maybe but any new club coming in is going to have to have massive pockets to make any sort of challenge. When Dockers came in they were very much the poor cousin to Eagles and it took them many many years, and eagles selling out all games therefore limiting their growth, before Dockers stopped losing money and grew their fanbase to catch up. Any new Brisbane club will face the same challenges.

If anything a 2nd Brisbane team ,(meaning NRL played weekly in that city) will more than likely drag a few fans away from AFL and RU(played fornightly).There are a hell of a lot of Brisbaneites who are not Broncos fans.

One of the pre requisites of the NRL for acceptance is for new expansion clubs to have the financial long term packing.I'm sure you as Red's fan would be aware of that fact.

oikee

Juniors
Yes the code has stagnated since the super league war. And to me it has stagnated again under the watchful eye of Dave smith.
I really dont think he understands what he has got sitting right on his doorstep.
Look, to be honest, Brisbane should have 3 teams. Move the Ttians to Logan, that would be wise. Logan is where the fans are, not Robina.
And bring in the Brisbane Brothers to tap into their massive supporter base throughout Queensland.

That would then have a positive effect on derbies, they would be massive.

As for NZ Warriors, while they continue to only have 1 team in NZ, they will never hold onto all the juniors that come through. That is simply common sense. One club cant hold all the juniors.
So the warriors will forever get their heads kicked in by their own, because they have to let talent go to other clubs. Manly and the Roosters, also Melbourne pick up their best players, send them back to spank them in front of their own home crowds.
This is not how you grow the code.
The AFL must look at our code and laugh their tits off at what we do to our powerhouse clubs, while they continue to grow and get 80 to 100 thousand crowds because they understand how to grow powerhouse clubs.
We kick our powerhouse clubs heads in, i mean how long did Gallop and Dave Smith allow Brisbane to struggle without one main superstar. ? 5 years, that is how long.

While the code stripped Melbourne of finals and stars, they allowed Manly to stack their team with internationals and not a word said, even now we look on as back-ended deals are talked about but nothing said.
Manly wont grow the code, Dave smith has to wake up to this fact. Sharks wont grow the code, the Tigers are mud and run like a broken wheel.
No, this code needs a visionary.
Marwon Koukash. Even he can see that nines is the best way to grow our code internationally.
Sell the nines and use the NRL and super league to grow the cash.

I would even go as far to say look at the new super league structure next year. This could be a brilliant way to bring more clubs into our own comp without up-setting any expansion clubs, because all would be invited to compepte and make the NRL.
nospam49 has already put crap on the new super-league structure for next year. And this is why i say our code needs a visionary, because i think this structure is the best idea ever, world-class.

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
I can't believe oikee used capitals at the beginning of a sentence for once... And for the entire post