What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bombers have new Steeden merch ball available

Bombers-Ball.jpg

http://www.brisbanebombers.com.au/merchandise/

Perth Red

Post Whore
“The Bombers are bringing a brand new brand and there is plenty of marketability around that and genuine opportunities for pathways and development.”

There has been speculation for some time that one of the nine Sydney clubs may be relocated at some point in the future.

If that was to occur then it would most likely be to Perth.

“Expansion will happen in Brisbane with a new team, but if there is to be any relocation of a club I believe it would be a Sydney club to Perth,” Davison says.

“The reason I say that is that south-east Queensland won’t accept an imported team.

“It has got to be a brand new franchise in Brisbane to give it some sort of credence.

“You can’t bring an adopted team to the heartland of rugby league.

“If the NRL told us that the only option was to take a relocated team, we would say ‘yes please’.

“But I don’t believe that is going to happen.

“We are ready to put a new team in Brisbane with a new coach and new players.”

- JOEL GOULD
http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/brisbane-must-have-a-new-second-team/

pHyR3

Juniors
Yes the code has stagnated since the super league war. And to me it has stagnated again under the watchful eye of Dave smith.
I really dont think he understands what he has got sitting right on his doorstep.
Look, to be honest, Brisbane should have 3 teams. Move the Ttians to Logan, that would be wise. Logan is where the fans are, not Robina.
And bring in the Brisbane Brothers to tap into their massive supporter base throughout Queensland.

That would then have a positive effect on derbies, they would be massive.

As for NZ Warriors, while they continue to only have 1 team in NZ, they will never hold onto all the juniors that come through. That is simply common sense. One club cant hold all the juniors.
So the warriors will forever get their heads kicked in by their own, because they have to let talent go to other clubs. Manly and the Roosters, also Melbourne pick up their best players, send them back to spank them in front of their own home crowds.
This is not how you grow the code.
The AFL must look at our code and laugh their tits off at what we do to our powerhouse clubs, while they continue to grow and get 80 to 100 thousand crowds because they understand how to grow powerhouse clubs.
We kick our powerhouse clubs heads in, i mean how long did Gallop and Dave Smith allow Brisbane to struggle without one main superstar. ? 5 years, that is how long.

While the code stripped Melbourne of finals and stars, they allowed Manly to stack their team with internationals and not a word said, even now we look on as back-ended deals are talked about but nothing said.
Manly wont grow the code, Dave smith has to wake up to this fact. Sharks wont grow the code, the Tigers are mud and run like a broken wheel.
No, this code needs a visionary.
Marwon Koukash. Even he can see that nines is the best way to grow our code internationally.
Sell the nines and use the NRL and super league to grow the cash.

I would even go as far to say look at the new super league structure next year. This could be a brilliant way to bring more clubs into our own comp without up-setting any expansion clubs, because all would be invited to compepte and make the NRL.
nospam49 has already put crap on the new super-league structure for next year. And this is why i say our code needs a visionary, because i think this structure is the best idea ever, world-class.

mate what the actual????

literally a week or two ago you were lauding dave smith as our lord and savior...

pHyR3

Juniors
I saw a bloke at the pub yesterday wearing Brisbane Browns T shirt . He's trying to get the brand some exposure. It looked good based around a brown snake.

fuarkkkk, brisbane browns. That's a great name

kinda riffing off the cleveland browns, but extremely distinct because (i think) thats based of a person while this will be a distinctly australia snake. Just like the southern orcas in NZ or rabbitohs. Well souths isnt an australian mascot but you get the gist.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
looks pretty cool, the actual logo of a fighter pilot looks kinda weird though. but maybe all logos do at first.
Pretty sure it's supposed to be Charles Kingsford Smith, Australia's most famous aviator, born and bred in Brisbane. Probably my favourite aspect of the bid.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Their design team is the only thing that i can find likable about this bid, but DAMN they do it well...

bombers650_648x365_2054082125-hero.jpg

Its just the name that makes it SO bad!!! Its such an obvious attempt to play on the VFL-NRL "war" and copy the Broncos; it just comes across as corporate to me

If they had gone with something a bit more colloquial and unique they might have had me (dont get me wrong, Brothers would be my first choice regardless. But id like to see 3 Brissy teams within the next few rounds of Expansion)

Pretty sure it's supposed to be Charles Kingsford Smith, Australia's most famous aviator, born and bred in Brisbane. Probably my favourite aspect of the bid.

I can see this...

Sir%20Charles%20Kingsford%20Smith1_11899200_tcm11-18426.jpg

If this is true, it could have been good to indirectly reference in the name; the "Kings" or "Smiths" or "Charlies" (similar to the Cleveland "Browns" naming)

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
?The Bombers are bringing a brand new brand and there is plenty of marketability around that and genuine opportunities for pathways and development.?

There has been speculation for some time that one of the nine Sydney clubs may be relocated at some point in the future.

If that was to occur then it would most likely be to Perth.

?Expansion will happen in Brisbane with a new team, but if there is to be any relocation of a club I believe it would be a Sydney club to Perth,? Davison says.

?The reason I say that is that south-east Queensland won?t accept an imported team.

?It has got to be a brand new franchise in Brisbane to give it some sort of credence.

?You can?t bring an adopted team to the heartland of rugby league.

?If the NRL told us that the only option was to take a relocated team, we would say ?yes please?.

?But I don?t believe that is going to happen.

?We are ready to put a new team in Brisbane with a new coach and new players.?

- JOEL GOULD
http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/brisbane-must-have-a-new-second-team/

Well that's a poor argument.

One could use a similar line of reasoning and say that if a relocation was to happen it would have to be to Brisbane because they are "the heartland" and because they love the game so much they'll support any RL we give to them, where Perth might be offended by getting a second hand team and refuse to support them.

Both arguments are baseless and moronic, and anyway even if club was relocated to Brisbane you could attempt to avoid the rejection of the brand simply by re-branding to a new name.

BTW the saying rugby league heartland is so over used these days that it means almost nothing.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Also, given the 1930s style of the design, i genuinely wouldnt be surprised to see a jersey similar to a Captain America design.

ChrisEvansCaptainAmericaTWSTrailer.jpg

Its already not that far of...

BBMETAL2.png

148041-brisbane-bombers.jpg

paulmac

Juniors
I reckon this is the bid that will get the nod but just not with the name Bombers.I associate Bombers with terrorism,hardly the image the family conscious NRL want.

Wellsy4HullFC

Juniors
I reckon this is the bid that will get the nod but just not with the name Bombers.I associate Bombers with terrorism,hardly the image the family conscious NRL want.

That's the connection I made too. It will be obviously linked with terrorists by those that want to talk it down.

Cool logo, but I prefer Brothers also.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Logo and name will not be a criteria for inclusion IMO. Bombers isn't too bad and they have made it unique enough with that capt America/ Sky capt steam punk theme to differentiate from the afl Bombers. The only big question mark for this bid is fan support. Will the non Broncos fans of brisbane get behind them?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Logo and name will not be a criteria for inclusion IMO. Bombers isn't too bad and they have made it unique enough with that capt America/ Sky capt steam punk theme to differentiate from the afl Bombers. The only big question mark for this bid is fan support. Will the non Broncos fans of brisbane get behind them?

I totally disagree, that is the only thing that really matters...

Everything else (board members, people behind the scenes, business structure) is entirely playable and entirely changeable between bids.

The one constant that the NRL will have to live with is the brand; THAT is want fans see and that is what they connect with.

If DSmith and the ARLC wanted to (which they probably will considering the hand they have had in reshaping so many current clubs) they can form and change the bids in any way they want. If the bid doesnt like it, the ARLC can move onto the next group.

The only lasting thing that distinguishes one bid from another (besides location) is the brand...

Flapper

First Grade

Even worse than terrorism, I associate it with AFL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Such nonsense, you could pick holes in any of the bids that have announced logos so far
Bombers - afl and terrorists
Pirates - Somali and Indonesian criminals
Bears - alienates gosford rl fans who already follow an NRL team
Brothers - religious and alienates existing BRL fans
etcetcetc

The arlc are going to be far more worried about fincial sustainability, tv revenue and future growth potential than what the bids have decided to call themselves.

pHyR3

Juniors
Such nonsense, you could pick holes in any of the bids that have announced logos so far
Bombers - afl and terrorists
Pirates - Somali and Indonesian criminals
Bears - alienates gosford rl fans who already follow an NRL team
Brothers - religious and alienates existing BRL fans
etcetcetc

The arlc are going to be far more worried about fincial sustainability, tv revenue and future growth potential than what the bids have decided to call themselves.

no one thinks of that, they think of pirates of the caribbean. how often do you hear about somalian pirates in the news? i dont think i ever have to be honest.

What was the supporter base of Past Brothers in the pre-Broncos BRL? Were they predominantly ex Christian Brothers School students and/or Roman Catholics?

I doubt greatly that the ARLC would want a sectarian-based side - it's not inclusive enough and pretty retrogressive... it may have been relevant 40 years ago but not now.

Latest posts