What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Would the people of Ipswich and Logan object to the “Brisbane” part of the west Brisbane jets? I only ask because Ipswich and Logan are cities in their own right aren’t they and not suburbs of Brisbane?

Yes, 100%. Ipswich have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to bigger brother Brisbane. It would leave a bitter taste in their mouth to have their Jets be called West Brisbane.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I also forgot to ask would they support travel to Suncorp or would the Queensland government fund a new stadium in the area?

There is hope for additional stadia to be built in SEQ, in the next couple of decades we are bidding to host:

• The Olympic Games
  • Matches at the FIFA Women's World Cup
  • Matches at thr RU World Cup
These tournaments always talk about leaving a legacy. If Redcliffe or Ipswich are already in the NRL, then their locations could be considered by the QLD Government as legacy projects to spend money on once those events have left town..

jim_57

Staff member
Would the people of Ipswich and Logan object to the “Brisbane” part of the west Brisbane jets? I only ask because Ipswich and Logan are cities in their own right aren’t they and not suburbs of Brisbane?

Not 100% about the name, something better could be worked out. I lived in Logan for a while and while it is technically it's own city I don't think many people there have any problem currently getting behind 'Brisbane' sporting teams. Ipswich may be a little bit different but again hardly a breaking point of the bid if a different name is needed.

A team representing both Logan, Ipswich, South & West and embracing out towards South West QLD could definitely work and if put together properly would be the best option for expansion in Brisbane in my opinion.

mongoose

Coach
If the Bombers have lots of dough and a good plan to grow their fanbase etc then I am all for them.

Broncos, Cowboys, Warriors, Storm all started as plastic franchises.

Springs09

Juniors
If the Bombers have lots of dough and a good plan to grow their fanbase etc then I am all for them.

Broncos, Cowboys, Warriors, Storm all started as plastic franchises.

Yeah as the only team in their city with no competition. A brand new club in Perth or Adelaide would be no problem. Bombers would start with the biggest club in the country as their competition with no real means of support other than 'we're not the Broncos'. The only way to gain support would to be immediately successful and/or controversial the way the Storm were.

There's no point in another Crushers or Titans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can't they back a better bid? No more plastic teams, need some history behind it.

Why would anyone in Brisbane have any reason to follow the Bombers instead of the Broncos or their current favourite team?

On the plus sides there are no historic alliances to stop fans supporting the new club. For example would people who have some attachment to the dolphins follow a Jets NRL club or vice versa?

I do agree Bombers need a point of difference though. Maybe aligning with the South/SW Brisbane area and having a strong relationship with the Jets ie play in the same colours etc would help be a point of difference from the corporate Broncos? Though tbh if they were a direct clone and just as succesful would we care?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brisbane Bombers major shareholder Craig Davison says the NRL is headed for a major “disaster” if they grant Redcliffe a licence to become Queensland’s fourth NRL team.

As revealed by The Courier-Mail, a consortium of five multi-millionaireshave begun due diligence into bidding for an NRL licence following revelations Channel 9 wants a second team in Brisbane in 2023.

Redcliffe has been touted as the preferred expansionary target zone in the eyes of the ARL Commission, but Davison warned launching another NRL team on the Peninsula would be a strategic blunder.

While Redcliffe boasts a powerful leagues club, the Dolphins are 40km north of Suncorp Stadium and miles away from the corporate top end of town in Brisbane’s CBD.

“The NRL would be going backwards if they chose Redcliffe,” Davison said.

“Commercially, there has to be another team in the Brisbane metropolitan market.

“I’m not saying it has to be the Brisbane Bombers, it might be one of the other bid teams, but it simply can’t be Redcliffe if the NRL is looking to garnering support on a board-spectrum level.

“Redcliffe is almost 50km from the CBD. It’s like putting a team in the Blue Mountains (of NSW) and expecting people in the eastern suburbs of Sydney to support them.

“Redcliffe have a wonderful brand but they have their rusted-on local supporters.

“People from central Queensland, north Queensland and metropolitan Brisbane will not support a team on the Peninsula.

“I would implore the NRL to stop even thinking about Redcliffe.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/25ebd1cac9160f7d6c63a1ba96239c83

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Brisbane Bombers major shareholder Craig Davison says the NRL is headed for a major “disaster” if they grant Redcliffe a licence to become Queensland’s fourth NRL team.

As revealed by The Courier-Mail, a consortium of five multi-millionaireshave begun due diligence into bidding for an NRL licence following revelations Channel 9 wants a second team in Brisbane in 2023.

Redcliffe has been touted as the preferred expansionary target zone in the eyes of the ARL Commission, but Davison warned launching another NRL team on the Peninsula would be a strategic blunder.

While Redcliffe boasts a powerful leagues club, the Dolphins are 40km north of Suncorp Stadium and miles away from the corporate top end of town in Brisbane’s CBD.

“The NRL would be going backwards if they chose Redcliffe,” Davison said.

“Commercially, there has to be another team in the Brisbane metropolitan market.

“I’m not saying it has to be the Brisbane Bombers, it might be one of the other bid teams, but it simply can’t be Redcliffe if the NRL is looking to garnering support on a board-spectrum level.

“Redcliffe is almost 50km from the CBD. It’s like putting a team in the Blue Mountains (of NSW) and expecting people in the eastern suburbs of Sydney to support them.

“Redcliffe have a wonderful brand but they have their rusted-on local supporters.

“People from central Queensland, north Queensland and metropolitan Brisbane will not support a team on the Peninsula.

“I would implore the NRL to stop even thinking about Redcliffe.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/25ebd1cac9160f7d6c63a1ba96239c83

What else would you expect him to say about a rival bid.

27EELS

Juniors
There is nothing wrong with Redcliffe getting the licence, I always thought that they should be there anyway. They were always the richest club in Brisbane.

They’re not far from Norths Devils and would service the North Side of Brisbane.
it takes about 40 mins to get to Redcliffe as opposed to an hours drive to the City.
closer for Sunshine Coast Residents to get to.

Possibly Ipswich or Souths/Logan should be the 3rd Brisbane team. All of those teams have History and are already in place.It can’t just be the Broncos, They are only well supported because that is all there is.

Not everyone loves the Broncos up here, I’ll always support Parra and I have Forever lol but there needs to be more Brisbane teams and I’ll be happy whoever they choose.It can be done, Broncos won’t want it and and that’s why it’s only them here, It sucks !

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
If Redcliffe want to be the second Brisbane team then they should change their name now to Brisbane Dolphins or North Brisbane Dolphins and start building their brand that way now. Redcliffe has a population of about 8000 people. It is a tiny little suburb.