What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos 2012 Thread

beads6

First Grade
It is such a cop out to make this call. Wallace played exceptionally well in other games that Lockyer was out this season because we played Norman or Hunt in the 6 not Gillett. We were just off tonight and I think there were a few contributors to that. The Gillett at 6 gamble was the wrong call IMO, wrecked the attacking structure of the side.

beads6

First Grade
This should be in the bullshit threads tbh. We played a backrower in the 6 tonight, it was our own fault Wallace was left with no support. He was our only real kicker and nobody goes to the line with him either.

Dazzat

First Grade
The key to any halves combination is combination. You need two potential kickers on the field otherwise the opposition knows who is going to get the ball. That's exactly what happened to Wallace last night ... Manly knew he was going to get the ball on tackle 5 and where ahead of the game.

It bugs me when coaches take the safe options and play backrowers in big games rather than second string halves. I was hoping that Hunt would play at some stage last night at No. 7, but he never got a run while McCullough was on the paddock. As he or Norman are destined to play there next year, why not start now?

Dazzat

First Grade
To add a little context:

a) Manly are a very good team and should win the grand final on that performance
b) Manly had the week off and it showed ... Broncs were flat after the massive game against St George
c) Take out one of the game's greatest players of all time and of course it's going to make a difference for one game
d) Manly blew North Queensland away by 30 points - Brisbane hang tough
e) It was obvious the referees had an agenda last night and the first two tries were a credit to them
f) Wasn't that Thaiday's first game as captain? It's very harsh to draw conclusions of someone's ability from one game.

AceAv

Juniors
Resting Lockyer in Round 26 wouldn't have prevented Beale from kneeing him in the face.

I said MAY have, if hoffman was playing in the ST George game, Lockyer may have trusted him more to not go for his bombs. Hind sight is a pointless thing tho..

I'm really proud of the boys. We played our GF last week and were astonishing. But you can't expect to win another huge game when u lose ur number 6 & 1, ur centres have dodgy shoulders and hamstrings, your brand new captain just got back from 2 weeks out and your winger costs u 12 points.

Manly had more speed and brutality tonight and their kicking game was incredible. I would kill to sign foran & eveans. They made some try savers too, which showed they wanted it more and had the freshness and energy to do it.

woodyk2

First Grade
I think the Broncos have the foundations there in place to still be more than a force in the inmediate future....theres some outstanding young talent in that time. Hodges didnt look to be moving freely all night but still ran like he had spiders all over him. Griffins done an excellent job.

jaycee_17th

Juniors
Maybe I'll get shot for this but the only concern I have at the moment is how well the refs stuffed our game in general. Oh sure people would say despite those lopsided penalties that was made this season it always seem that the better team has won. But is it really? I think it was just a mere illusion, for the fact that those dumb calls were usually made at the first part of the encounters. So noone can really tell for sure whether the winning team is indeed deserving, since the game rely too much on momentum. I honestly wouldn't mind if the refs had balls to blow the same call in the back end of the game, even if it has to go against the home side or cost the team a game. The thing is, if they cant be consistent with their calls then dont whistle at all. I would rather that than have 'em blowing whenever they feel like comfortable with it. I like the way the SOO the refereeing being handled, why cant they adapt that? Tsk! And I dont like how the referees can be easily swayed by the crowd, I dont care whether its our crowd or not. Its a bad look for our game. Never seen a sport as our game where officials are easily affected by the home crowd, never.

Dazzat

First Grade
Even the NSW-centric commentators were scratching their heads last night with some of their penalties. I think at one stage Sterling even said he "felt sympathy" for the Broncos ... I don't complain about referring much, but last night was a carve-up.

Let's face it, a Melbourne or New Zealand/Brisbane grand final played in Sydney would be the last thing the NSW-dominated NRL would want.

farkew

Juniors
you have more junior teams than anyone else.instead of buying more players bring one of your own through the ranks for a change

beads6

First Grade
The refs weren't good but we weren't good either. The better team won but with crucial penalties early in the match we didn't have a chance.

Smiley

Bench
Does anyone know of any decent 5/8ths that are out of contract at the end of this season? I would go out on a limb and say Gillett can't cut the mustard, at least as opposed to any other experienced first grader.

We have Lockyers salary to throw around, better spend it wisely.

Whats with all the doom and gloom threads?

We made it to within one game of the grand final ffs.

The Broncos have put time, effort and money into the development of Hunt and Norman and deserve a chance at the position.

I personally would switch Wallace to 5/8, play Hunt at HB and it opens up a spot for Baptiste on the bench.

Last edited:

JB538

Juniors
Why didn't Hunt play Queensland cup this year at halfback?
Would have given him more expericence for 2012 just like DCE etc

OLS108

Juniors
I don't think Hunt is the answer to be honest, I get the feeling he will fade into black next year .

Daddycool

Juniors
Considering your team just lost a Prelim Final, I suppose some doom & gloom is understandable. Losing Locky is huge but you've got Petro back next year and the influence he will have on and off the field will be significant.

On top of that the Broncos have one of the best overall squads on the competition. They've got that many good young players I can't name them all and with the experience gained this season they'll be even better next year.

Tonight has proven to be very concerning for our hopes next year;

Sam Thaiday is not Captain material, and he sure as hell isn't as commanding as Locky. Petero is the only man I can think of who is anywhere near worthy to take the role.

The kicking game; Good christ did Lockys absence shine through. Wallace just isn't of the same calibre. Nowhere near.

Dale Copley, while he scored a try, had a few absolute howlers tonight. The one involving Reed and that try gone begging was probably a game changer. An absolute clanger.

Hodges proved that he is either still struggling with injury, or he's hugely overrated these days. Whenever he had the ball, he had no idea where to go with it. His only good moment tonight was gifted to him by a backwards kick fro Gillett.

On the subject of Gillett, VERY hit and miss tonight; the kick to Yow Yeh for the try was his only good moment tonight. He really should have scored that try when he was held up by Lyon.

Parkers kicking game has collapsed in the back half of this season; so many missed conversions. Fair enough almost all of them were on the sideline or close to it, but damn has his kicking let us down recently. His lashout at Evans cost Hala a deserved try as well.

The only player who deserves any clout tonight is Yow Yeh; Put his body on the line on behalf of the team and came up with a superb try.

A world without Lockyer is looking increasingly frightening. It's a hell of a long shot, but his performance in the Four Nations might sway him to have one more season. He is still playing some outstanding football as displayed last week.

When we fell, we fell hard, and we also fell into the same old predictable result as a result of losing Lockyer; Errors, Penalties, oblivious when in possession.

Very concerned indeed.
We should sign todd carney good replacement for Lockyer and if he can stay out of trouble could follow in the footsteps of him. I am very confident this team will do well again next season Anthony Griffin is a great coach and there are alot of young lads coming through, Gillett, Beale, Copley, Reed, etc.. and they're only going to get better after a good off season

Last edited: