What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos 2012 Thread

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Looks like a few of the Broncos youngsters were a bit shellshocked playing such an important game. Too bad the big match experience of the likes of Parker, Wallace, Thiaday, Hannant and Hodges (was he even on the field?) didn't eventuate.

These guys should have led by example - something they didn't do.

The Broncos have a good platform to build on in the next few seasons.

Don't rely on the old man Petero to excite anyone on the paddock....use by date was 2010.

Big Pete

Referee
Looks like a few of the Broncos youngsters were a bit shellshocked playing such an important game. Too bad the big match experience of the likes of Parker, Wallace, Thiaday, Hannant and Hodges (was he even on the field?) didn't eventuate.

These guys should have led by example - something they didn't do.

The Broncos have a good platform to build on in the next few seasons.

Don't rely on the old man Petero to excite anyone on the paddock....use by date was 2010.

Parker and Thaiday were two of our best players. Hannant's been struggling with an injury all season and even Locky would have struggled with a halves partner like Gillett. Hodges ran 15 times for 140m, which is incredible given the lack of quality ball he received. It's not his fault you can't watch the game properly.

And I take it you didn't watch Origin 3 where Petero schooled everybody, even the new sensation Paul Gallen?

This is a s**t thread. Plenty of positives to take out of this season and I'm sure we'll be contenders come next year. Maybe not favourites (that will come with time) but there about.

beads6

First Grade
Parker and Thaiday were two of our best players. Hannant's been struggling with an injury all season and even Locky would have struggled with a halves partner like Gillett. Hodges ran 15 times for 140m, which is incredible given the lack of quality ball he received. It's not his fault you can't watch the game properly.

And I take it you didn't watch Origin 3 where Petero schooled everybody, even the new sensation Paul Gallen?

This is a s**t thread. Plenty of positives to take out of this season and I'm sure we'll be contenders come next year. Maybe not favourites (that will come with time) but there about.

Well said Petey :cool:

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Please.

* Wallace was unsupported
* Gillett isn't a 5/8
* Teo looked dynamite with the ball, but didn't get enough of it
* Hannant didn't get enough game time
* Copley got a case of the nerves but recovered towards the end
* Hayne and Maxwell made the game all about them like they did to the Warriors

And despite all that, we were two tries away from a GF berth.

We'll be fine next year.

salvy71

Juniors
i have never seen so many excuses.your team just wern't good enough on the day.get over it

Agreed - all I' ve heard is whinging , bitching and moaning about the refereeing in last nights game ....give credit where it is due - Manly were too strong . Stgeorge barely got a penalty against Brisbane last week ...in fact the 65th minute was their first ......no complaints ....Broncos just hung in there and deserved that win ......
Can't blame refereeing for brisbanes inept defence in that 1st 20 minutes ....

Big Pete

Referee
The general consensus is that while the refs. were bad they weren't to be blamed for the result.

Dragons received a penalty before then by the by, and they probably shouldn't have received it either.

Meanie

Juniors
People have absolutely zero perspective. They were within 1 game of the grand final this year after missing the finals completely last year.

Yes they'll have to adjust to life post Lockyer but look at their team at the moment. I'd hardly be despondent considering how much young talent they have who are only going to get better and better.

AceAv

Juniors
6 in a row baby. And 2011 Finalists 2:1 record -We were winners before we even stepped on that field

Broncomum

Juniors
I must agree with many here, you have a very sad, 'un-Broncolike' view of the game & the team.

- For starters, as Hook said " Manly's opening 16 points came on the left-hand side, nowhere near where Locky would have been".

- The Broncos don't lay any blame at the Ref's feet, ever. (Some fans might, the Team very seldom does! And Locky never does!)

- Manly were ready to go before the starting whistle, the Broncs starting thinking about it about 10 minutes into the game. Circumstances caused TOO much emphasis to be put on 'keeping things calm' I believe.

- As far as the future goes, we could almost field two solid teams if need be; we have so much depth that next season many will be shocked at our successes. Outsiders will dwell on the 'post Locky' factor; we're basically past that stumbling block.

- We have a coach who frankly couldn't give a toss what the 'experienced coaches' are doing/saying etc. He knows his job, he doesn't care what 'the punters' such as yourself think and he's been bloody successful by sticking to his guns.

- Sammy has just lived through what was a baptism of fire for him. He's over the worst and has plenty of time to work on fine tuning how HE wants to handle his Captaincy & how HE sees his role (again, NOT how the 'punters' see it)

They'll be back next season, bigger and better than ever.

Frankly this season was a brilliant one; not everyone gets to the prelims.
;-)

Best thing you can do is learn through the off season what real 'deep shit' is .
;-)

And no, Broncos is NOT a charity , we won't be extending a hand to Carney anytime soon.

Yeah, its not looking that bad. Gillett wont be 5/8 next year so don't worry about how he played there. This will be our first off season working with a new halves pairing so I wouldn't wory too much about what we've seen of hunt or norman, not too mention whatever talent we have in the under 20s. That Bryce Hegarty was looking pretty good when he played this year.

God I hope that is the last we will ever see of copley. He just isn't good enough for the nrl. Gagai or Kahu must be used next year instead. Copley has been terrible all season. I can't remember a game when he hasn't done someting totally useless.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Finally recovered enough to get back to the forums...

I think the fact Manly didn't put a big score on us proves that we aren't in deep shit. Tbh I thought that's where the game was heading at 16-0 and to our credit we made Manly work for the full 80.

Wallace went ok. It's quite clear that he is not a Thurston/Cronk and he never will be, but he is a good solid player, who in the short term really needs to work on his kicking game. He will need help next year, and its still unclear who that will be.

But all in all we have a good looking side. Hoffman/Civo coming back. Unearthed Beale/Reed. Glenn and McGuire have made the step up. McGuire could be Bronco of the year next year (my early tip). Better signs from McCullough.

The biggest disappointment for me was probably Thaiday. Coming fresh from a two week break I expected him to have a massive game, but the Manly defence contained him pretty easily. Tbh Parker outshines him in most games and he has really been our most consistent "prop" all year. To me when I watch Parker take it up and make heaps of tackle breaks and offloads, thats the thing that really inspires me, and he is not exactly a big bloke.

We need Hodges not to be a tampon as well.

broncos2010

Juniors
1. Hoffman
2. Beale
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Yow Yeh
6. Hunt/Norman
7. Wallace
8. Civo
9.MacC
10. Hannant
11.Glen
12.Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Gillet
15. Teo
16. That under 20s hooker
17. Hala

We sure don't have issues in the forward line.

What you guys think about playing gillet in the halves since we already have so much strike power in the backrow ?

Also I cant see hunt or norman being a long term answer in the halves I know they are both young but they just don't stand out as guys that can lead us to a premiership and Wallace is not the complete package to lead a team by himself he misses the passing game and his kicking game is not to great either.

What your thoughts guys long year next year ?

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Please people stop with the scaremongering, The Sea Eagles were the better team on the night.

The Broncos have a very young squad that will do very well in the future years. In relation to the OP, Goddy chill out mate you are having a massive over-reaction, next season is looking very promising for the Broncs, yes Lockyer is retiring and yes the Broncos will miss his much needed leadership and experience but the young lads will learn from this finals series and its like the old saying "young need to lose a grand final before you can win one" now although we didn't make it to the grand final the point still carries through.

Next year either Hunt or Wallace, or perhaps a smokey from the QCup (Like Reed and Gillett) will have a full pre-season behind them in which they can work with Wallace and develop a combination, Norman showed this year that he can step up when needed and hopefully he makes the jump next year. The Broncos will still be a force next year

Sam Thaiday is not Captain material, and he sure as hell isn't as commanding as Locky. Petero is the only man I can think of who is anywhere near worthy to take the role.

sadly this is the only part of your post that i agree with, Thaiday doesn't exude confidence and calmness like Lockyer, I still think Parker should have taken the captaincy next year.

On the subject of Gillett, VERY hit and miss tonight; the kick to Yow Yeh for the try was his only good moment tonight. He really should have scored that try when he was held up by Lyon.

I actually thought that Gillett had a very good game, considering the circumstances and he could prove to be a potential replacement to Locky next year, although i still believe it will fall to Norman. The held up try was difficult, Lyon was in a very good position and somehow managed to keep it off the ground which was a suprise considering the size and strength of Gillett, but Lyon's determination just showed the Sea Eagles desire and determination.

Please people just keep the faith and stop with this knee-jerk shit its pathetic have faith in the coach and in the players for next year.

Last edited:

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Goody, mate relax Hunt and Norman will have first run at the spare Halves spot, like Pete said import should be a very very last resort

STOP WITH THE DOOM AND GLOOM MATE