What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos General Discussion

AuDragon

Juniors
Sandow has plenty of natural ability, but absolutely no brain. He's as dumb as a donkey's backside. That can't be coached!
He'll win some games, but he'll loose more!

Big Pete

Referee
Just wanted to tell everybody that I'll update the current LU Broncos player of the year after Round 6. I'm just incredibly busy with uni, work and celebrating 21st birthdays (including my own) to do it justice.

So remember to vote so we can carry on this very proud tradition on the Broncos board.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Mate let's know if I can carry some of the burden. What does it involve? Just going through the thread and tallying? Could assign me some rounds to do.

Big Pete

Referee
Yeah mate that will be appreciated. I'll get the ball rolling after Round 6 and I may get you to do a batch.

Just had a look at the Select's 2011 Card set...and found out Mitch Rivett somehow got his own card!

Just in case your interested, here are all the Broncos cards

Darren Lockyer
Andrew McCullough
Josh Hoffman
Sam Thaiday
Justin Hodges
Nick Kenny
Ben Hannant
Corey Parker
Matt Gillett
Ben Te'o
Peter Wallace
Jharal Yow Yeh

Rookie Cards
Corey Norman
Ben Hunt
Mitch Rivett
Matt Gillett
Dunamis Lui

Stardom Mascot Gem Card
Sam Thaiday

Rookie Sensation
Matt Gillett
Corey Norman

Star Signature
Jharal Yow Yeh

skaines

Juniors
Sandow has plenty of natural ability, but absolutely no brain. He's as dumb as a donkey's backside. That can't be coached!
He'll win some games, but he'll loose more!

Same can be said about wallace apart from the "he'll win some games."

Big Pete

Referee
Thaiday will have to re-focus on Monday's night's clash with the Knights after asking his girlfriend Rachel, with whom he went to high school in Townsville, to marry him last Saturday.
He had planned to pop the big question during a hot air balloon ride on the Sunshine Coast, but it was cancelled because of bad weather.
Instead, he proposed in a romantic setting - a lakeside villa overlooking the 18th green at the luxurious Hyatta Regency resort on the Sunshine Coast.
"Everything I planned didn't work out at the end of the day I did what I wanted, I popped the question," Thaiday said.
"I tried to make it all romantic and stuff with a hot air balloon ride which got cancelled and a picnic on the beach but none of it worked out.
"I had to ask her twice because she was too busy crying but she did say 'yes' in the end."

Congrats to Sam for getting engaged.

Guvner

First Grade
Bronco Fans,

Shane Tronc, any chance of getting back in FG??? He seems to have dropped right down the pecking order.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
He is actually out with a neck injury at the moment.

But yes he has moved down a bit compared with the start of season. Should get a look in come origin time.

Guvner

First Grade
Do you think you guys are likely to release him at seasons end? He would have been on decent coin.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I'd be offloading Anderson if anyone. We are probably getting the least value out of him with respect to salary (I must admit I don't know any salaries but my gut says he would be getting more than Kenny/Dodds/Tronc).

The Crane

Juniors
Yeah, Anderson is earning too much for what he gives us.

I read a rumour last week about Souths being interested if Broncos offered him as a mid-season pickup (cant remember where I read it sorry). Not sure if you can believe it though, as Souths are linked with every forward at the moment due to their injuries.

DecoyRunner

Juniors
What ever happened to tackling the legs? In the majority of tackles on Fri night the first four defenders would go up top with someone coming in low as an afterthought. I know we have to shut down offloads, but this tactic cost us badly against Penrith and Manly cause they just kept pumping the legs and picking up way more metres than they should have. Worked against the Sharks, but almost anything would have.

Mr Fourex

Bench
What ever happened to tackling the legs? In the majority of tackles on Fri night the first four defenders would go up top with someone coming in low as an afterthought. I know we have to shut down offloads, but this tactic cost us badly against Penrith and Manly cause they just kept pumping the legs and picking up way more metres than they should have. Worked against the Sharks, but almost anything would have.

You answered your own question

It's all about shutting down the offloads

When it's done right, there should be one tackler up top and one around his legs.......

DecoyRunner

Juniors
I think it also has a lot to do with keeping the attacker upright to make the play-the-ball even slower. It's a winning style as Melbourne, Manly and Stgi have proven but it's not the ideal way to play footy. Wins are wins, I spose.

Mr Fourex

Bench
I think it also has a lot to do with keeping the attacker upright to make the play-the-ball even slower. It's a winning style as Melbourne, Manly and Stgi have proven but it's not the ideal way to play footy. Wins are wins, I spose.

Melbourne are the masters of wrestling players onto their backs.

This to me ensures a slower play the ball more than a player still left standing at the end of a tackle does

DecoyRunner

Juniors
Melbourne are the masters of wrestling players onto their backs.

This to me ensures a slower play the ball more than a player still left standing at the end of a tackle does

Lately they've been taking forever to call held when a player is still on his feet. I assume it's to give time for offloads. Whatever the reason, it's just dumb to have four guys all hugging the ball while the ball runner carries them down the field.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Watch the Storm game today. There would be a few guys wrestling up top for a while, then Smith would come in and chop the legs away. Slowed down the play the ball.

Latest posts