What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos

slava

Juniors
Why do people hate the Broncos? I was siting in the pub the other Friday watching the Broncos trash the Roosters and said to one lad "mate the broncos are carving up aye". He reckons "I don't care who wins, I support St.George and I hate the Broncos". I asked him why but he didn't have an answer. He reckons "I don't know just hate 'em".

Can someone tell me why some people hate the Broncos? I don't see any reasons. The closest thing I can think of is maybe the Super League buisness. But it wasn't just the Broncos, there were other teams.

slava

Juniors
can you give some reasonable responses? or maybe there are none, perhaps people hate them just cos they are so good and won 5 premierships in 10 years.

willvillain

Juniors
Ladies, ladies. That's a bit harsh. Ok, I'll admit, Slava posts a furious amount of sh*t in here. I'm little more than a casual observer and but his crap is very noticable, but this is a legitimate thread.

I hate the Broncos because of their success, because of the natural hatred generated by interstate rivalry, because I never liked Alfie, because Pearl broke Elsegood's ribs in 94, because of Super League and because they always manage to f*cking whinge about something.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Slava I have no previous gripe champ but having read a couple of your other posts I wonder if you are old enough to sit in a pub...

or do you mean the family bistro?

The relatively simple answer to your question is:

They are from Queensland - and when they entered the comp QLD dominated State of Origin thus everyone in NSW hated anything to do with Qld, and two. They were successful pretty much from the word go - people pointed to the fact they had a team littered with Qld and Australian stars and hadn't had to build from the ground up like other Sydney clubs - plus they just kept winning - and anytime a team is successful over a long period and is 'viewed' as having a leg up in recruitment that club is typically hated by joe public (roosters case in point) who's club hasn't had the same success or recruitment strength over the same period.

Oh and they had Wally Lewis - who everyone in NSW hated with a passion.

There's plenty more factors but I'd say they were the main ones in creating the 'hate brisbane' stigma. But at the end of the day hating a club just stops you from appreciating their ability on the football field.

slava

Juniors
willvillain said:
Ladies, ladies. That's a bit harsh. Ok, I'll admit, Slava posts a furious amount of sh*t in here. I'm little more than a casual observer and but his crap is very noticable, but this is a legitimate thread.

I hate the Broncos because of their success, because of the natural hatred generated by interstate rivalry, because I never liked Alfie, because Pearl broke Elsegood's ribs in 94, because of Super League and because they always manage to f*cking whinge about something.

Their success? but that's good. The rib breaking thing is a bit off but I'm sure it was an accident. And what they hell do they ALWAYS whinge about?

slava

Juniors
Prodigiousman said:
Slava I have no previous gripe champ but having read a couple of your other posts I wonder if you are old enough to sit in a pub...

or do you mean the family bistro?

The relatively simple answer to your question is:

They are from Queensland - and when they entered the comp QLD dominated State of Origin thus everyone in NSW hated anything to do with Qld, and two. They were successful pretty much from the word go - people pointed to the fact they had a team littered with Qld and Australian stars and hadn't had to build from the ground up like other Sydney clubs - plus they just kept winning - and anytime a team is successful over a long period and is 'viewed' as having a leg up in recruitment that club is typically hated by joe public (roosters case in point) who's club hasn't had the same success or recruitment strength over the same period.

Oh and they had Wally Lewis - who everyone in NSW hated with a passion.

There's plenty more factors but I'd say they were the main ones in creating the 'hate brisbane' stigma. But at the end of the day hating a club just stops you from appreciating their ability on the football field.

Ok. So it is mainly NSW people that hate Broncos because at the time of their establishment they were the only QLD team. Why did NSW have a problem with a QLD team? that just expanded the NRL. I see your point about the winning part, nothing can be done about that. And why the hell did people in NSW hate Wally Lewis. Is it because he was such an awesome QLD player?

willvillain

Juniors
Their success is good for them, but I hate it. Believe it or not, I prefer when my team is successful. Being jealous of their success turned into wanting them to lose every time i watched them (always going for the underdog and all that) which turned into hate.

What do they whinge about? The south. The judiciary. NSWRL. Administration in general.

Fluffy

Juniors
I ahte them for the same reason i hat the roosters.

They are always whinging and trying to get the comp changed to suit themselves. Its not far from the Bennet/Gus show as it is.

and of course they are SUPERLEAGUE F*CKERS

Add to that the interstate rivalry. 1 town team etc

The sheer number of juniors they have yet they still poach any player they can eg lazarus.

Langer's constant head highs and getting let off even though he jumped plus all his trips that got let go.

Tallis being the dirty player he was.

Hancock just a little girl.

~bedsy~

First Grade
slava said:
can you give some reasonable responses? or maybe there are none, perhaps people hate them just cos they are so good and won 5 premierships in 10 years.

Can you give some reasonable response's in other topics? :roll:

I don't hate Brisbane.... but I don't like them.... it's an 88 thing, they joined the same yr as Newcastle.

AnGeL

Juniors
i think hating a team for the success is pretty stupid....i hate the dragons cause i dont like how they play.

Kiwi

First Grade
Slava he is a bit of advice for you.

If you want resonable responses to your posts and topics how about you offer the same.

Example, in the Buderus signs with Knights topic, you first two replies were as follows

Who cares

Buderus is shit

Also this is a forum, a public forum, if you want to last long then stop swearing and cursing everyone that doesn't agree with you.

Start doing that and maybe people will stop treating you like kid you are acting like. If you do start acting properly, stick to it, it's gonna take awhile to erase the BS you've come up with.

b&wdynamite

Juniors
Salva,

I haven't really read much into your threads of the past so I will treat this objectively.

I live in brisbane. I have lived in Brisbane for many years and can't stand the bonkos. Absolutely hate 'em in fact. A mate of mine asked me the other day to rate all the clubs from 1 to 15 and luckily the broncos came in 14th. Only because of Manly though. I am a campbelltown boy originally so hating Manly is in the blood. But anyways back to why they are hated (by me at least, though in no particular order)

1. The Super League war - they started it, no questions asked. I can see the frustrating reasons behind why it happened, but the sneaky, underhanded way things went down with Ribot & Johns going about business was disgusting.

2. The South Qld Crushers - not entirely the bonkos fault, but they did no favours toward them in terms of junior base recruitment. I was finishing high school at the time and knew a few promising footballers who, because of their own club associations, couldn't talk to the crushers - it was bonkos or nothing.

3. The (once mighty) BRL comp - when the bonkos came in it destroyed the winfield cup in Brisbane. Brothers won in '87 to a huge audience but as soon as the bonkos picked the eyes out of every local team the comp went to sh*t and has never recovered. The bonkos didn't care less about the seniors, but managed as quickly as possible to stich up all junior ties (refer point 2 for effects)

4. Cause in the late 90's they used to crap all over the magpies. Bastards.

I think all in all you have to accept that the broncos are a hated team. Including I would suggest 3 out of 5 league fans in Brisbane. Remember the comp has been running for a lot longer than 18 years, so there are many people in Bris, including myself, that have followed another team and will always follow another team. You probably just need to realise that they will only ever be held in the same regard as the rorters and (wo)manly by the majority of the comps supporters.

slava

Juniors
Salva,

I haven't really read much into your threads of the past so I will treat this objectively.

I live in brisbane. I have lived in Brisbane for many years and can't stand the bonkos. Absolutely hate 'em in fact. A mate of mine asked me the other day to rate all the clubs from 1 to 15 and luckily the broncos came in 14th. Only because of Manly though. I am a campbelltown boy originally so hating Manly is in the blood. But anyways back to why they are hated (by me at least, though in no particular order)

1. The Super League war - they started it, no questions asked. I can see the frustrating reasons behind why it happened, but the sneaky, underhanded way things went down with Ribot & Johns going about business was disgusting.

2. The South Qld Crushers - not entirely the bonkos fault, but they did no favours toward them in terms of junior base recruitment. I was finishing high school at the time and knew a few promising footballers who, because of their own club associations, couldn't talk to the crushers - it was bonkos or nothing.

3. The (once mighty) BRL comp - when the bonkos came in it destroyed the winfield cup in Brisbane. Brothers won in '87 to a huge audience but as soon as the bonkos picked the eyes out of every local team the comp went to sh*t and has never recovered. The bonkos didn't care less about the seniors, but managed as quickly as possible to stich up all junior ties (refer point 2 for effects)

4. Cause in the late 90's they used to crap all over the magpies. Bastards.

I think all in all you have to accept that the broncos are a hated team. Including I would suggest 3 out of 5 league fans in Brisbane. Remember the comp has been running for a lot longer than 18 years, so there are many people in Bris, including myself, that have followed another team and will always follow another team. You probably just need to realise that they will only ever be held in the same regard as the rorters and (wo)manly by the majority of the comps supporters.

I see. Well all of those reasons are pretty old school. Because I only started to follow League a few years ago I focus on the present and not the past. Do you think that the present Broncos team deserves to be hated. And by the way, I read somewhere that the Broncos were the most popular NRL club, followed by the Storm. here is the link http://oldwww.roymorgan.com/polls/2001/3412/

Ten percent of all Australians aged 14 and over (representing an estimated 1,572,000 people) said they support the powerful Queensland-based club, more than half-a-million supporters more than the next most popular club, Melbourne Storm (6.5%, representing an estimated 1,015,000 people).

Support for the Broncos is significantly higher than that for the most popular Australian Football League (AFL) clubs Sydney Swans (8.5%, representing an estimated 1,289,000 people) and Essendon (5%, representing an estimated 789,000 people) although more Australians support an AFL club (49%) than an NRL club (40%).

WTF? THEN WHAT'S THE GO WITH ALL THIS HATING?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
slava said:
can you give some reasonable responses? .

perhaps if you respected other poeple's threads instaed of posting crap, they may show some respect in yours

b&wdynamite

Juniors
1.5million people over the age of 14 support the broncos? Then where the hell are they at the games? surely if this was the case the broncos would be up there with the likes of Man U and Real Madrid in trying to score tickets to a home game (ie near impossible).

Fair enough the reasons are "old school" but this is football, where rivalry and traditions are born from many years of battle, not the last result between two teams (in which case I would still hate them because Pat Richards was dead set robbed in the corner at Suncorp last year).

Also the survey you are using is now four years old - I wonder if the results would still be the same given that in the NRL the broncos have not since won a GF, let alone played in one, and Sydney AFL have done nothing compared to the Lions - or even collingwood who are the "pride of the AFL" and made successive grand finals.

Latest posts