What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Jets

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I might be reading into this too much but does the call for official bids mean that the NRL has internally given the green light for expansion? If not, why call for bids? Seems like this is happening.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I might be reading into this too much but does the call for official bids mean that the NRL has internally given the green light for expansion? If not, why call for bids? Seems like this is happening.

Its been a fait accompli from the moment Vlandys decided he wanted another Brisbane club. The rest is just smoke and mirrors to make them look like they have a process. I like the Jets comments about game needing to move away from pokies to be relevant and viable. If the other two bids most compelling case is they have pokie dens then Jets should get it imo.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Its been a fait accompli from the moment Vlandys decided he wanted another Brisbane club. The rest is just smoke and mirrors to make them look like they have a process. I like the Jets comments about game needing to move away from pokies to be relevant and viable. If the other two bids most compelling case is they have pokie dens then Jets should get it imo.

I wouldn't mind if the Jets got it. Nick Livermore seems to be a good operator.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wouldn't mind if the Jets got it. Nick Livermore seems to be a good operator.
Its the only bid that brings the top end of town from day one and that is going to be very important to the club in being able to generate $10mill plus in corporate support a year.

ash the bash

Juniors
Still need to hear more about this bid.

I assume that the lack of info means they are still putting it together. Nick is a good operator so presume they will have some sort of bid launch. A few questions I have.

Ownership:
- Who are the owners ? We don't necessarily need to know who all the individual private investors are, but at least the structure. Does Western Corridor (WC) have a % of owner ship ? Or does Ipswich Jets QRL team have a stake ? etc..

Home ground:
- Nick mentions basing out of Suncorp full time, however one of WC pitches was to start off at Suncorp. Then eventually moving to a rebuilt 25K stadium at North Ipswich reserve. So do the Jets follow the WC path and eventually move into the SW of Brisbane ? Or are they permanently based out of Suncorp which is what Nick wants.

Training ground:
- Looking at what clubs use now for training and admin. A couple containers and training field won't attract juniors or first graders. Where do they base their training and admin ? If they plan on hiring a training base and gym ? etc..

blaza88z

Coach
It depends what they are looking to get out of this 2nd Brisbane team, is it to fill up Suncorp every week? if so, Ipswich isn't the answer

I cannot see the Jets drawing many supporters. They'll always be viewed as an Ipswich team by people from Brisbane, Logan, Redlands and Moreton Bay Region.

Firehawks are close to the CBD, so it makes sense for them to play their games out of Lang Park. PVL should tell Palaszczuk to build a 25k stadium in Moreton Bay so the Dolphins can enter the league in the future.

MugaB

Coach
Dolphins have already said they are playing upto10 home matches in suncorp with the remaining 2 plus trials and training at either Moreton Daily stadium and Sunshine Coast stadium

Perth Red

Post Whore
I cannot see the Jets drawing many supporters. They'll always be viewed as an Ipswich team by people from Brisbane, Logan, Redlands and Moreton Bay Region.

Firehawks are close to the CBD, so it makes sense for them to play their games out of Lang Park. PVL should tell Palaszczuk to build a 25k stadium in Moreton Bay so the Dolphins can enter the league in the future.

how is that any different to the other two existing clubs that are bidding? Only way to avoid it was to have a bombers bran new franchise, but no one wanted that so whoever gets in is going to face some resistance from other areas of brisbane

Jamberoo

Juniors
how is that any different to the other two existing clubs that are bidding? Only way to avoid it was to have a bombers bran new franchise, but no one wanted that so whoever gets in is going to face some resistance from other areas of brisbane
The whole 'bid' thing is flawed. It pits the best operators against each other, when they should be working together.
The first step is an NRL 30 strategic plan for Brisbane - how many clubs? If it is only one new club, then the 'best bid' may not actually be the best option. If it is two new clubs, then one in the north makes sense and if Redcliffe have the best bid not, then you put them in, then spend a few years working on a club for the other side of town.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The whole 'bid' thing is flawed. It pits the best operators against each other, when they should be working together.
The first step is an NRL 30 strategic plan for Brisbane - how many clubs? If it is only one new club, then the 'best bid' may not actually be the best option. If it is two new clubs, then one in the north makes sense and if Redcliffe have the best bid not, then you put them in, then spend a few years working on a club for the other side of town.

haha, NRL have a long term plan?? That will be the day. This isnt the AFL we are talking about.

The benefit for the Firehawks is they're based in the City of Brisbane, not far from the CBD. City of Brisbane has 1.3m people.

Easts Tigers have a catchment that extends from the eastern suburbs of City of Brisbane through to the southern suburbs of Logan.

Logan has an estimated population of 341,985 and is undergoing major public transport extentions connecting it to Brisbane via the SE Busway.

Redcliffe Dolphins are a Moreton Bay Region club.

Moreton Bay Region has an estimated population of 479,639.

This is good, but it's unknown how many people will travel to Lang Park from this area and how many new fans they can attract in City of Brisbane.

I think Firehawks, through their footprint as the Easts Tigers with a catchment covering the eastern suburbs of Brisbane through to Yarrabilba in Logan's south, have the greater potential to draw big crowds at Lang Park on a Thursday night.

Ipswich's population is too small. 229,845.

I cannot see people from the City of Brisbane getting behind a team from Ipswich.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The benefit for the Firehawks is they're based in the City of Brisbane, not far from the CBD. City of Brisbane has 1.3m people.

Easts Tigers have a catchment that extends from the eastern suburbs of City of Brisbane through to the southern suburbs of Logan.

Logan has an estimated population of 341,985 and is undergoing major public transport extentions connecting it to Brisbane via the SE Busway.

Redcliffe Dolphins are a Moreton Bay Region club.

Moreton Bay Region has an estimated population of 479,639.

This is good, but it's unknown how many people will travel to Lang Park from this area and how many new fans they can attract in City of Brisbane.

I think Firehawks, through their footprint as the Easts Tigers with a catchment covering the eastern suburbs of Brisbane through to Yarrabilba in Logan's south, have the greater potential to draw big crowds at Lang Park on a Thursday night.

Ipswich's population is too small. 229,845.

I cannot see people from the City of Brisbane getting behind a team from Ipswich.
if they won’t get behind a brisbane jets because of the Ipswich connection then they are equally unlikely to get behind a brisbane dolphins with a Redcliffe connection. In which case there is only one bid that makes sense from a geographical point of view.

Marlins

Juniors
I posted this over at Future stadiums.
It’s saying if the Brisbane Jets bid gets across the line the Ipswich Council is keen on building a 20.5k stadium in the Ipswich CBD.
If the government would sign off on this, then the Jets would have my vote.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I posted this over at Future stadiums.
It’s saying if the Brisbane Jets bid gets across the line the Ipswich Council is keen on building a 20.5k stadium in the Ipswich CBD.
If the government would sign off on this, then the Jets would have my vote.

That would essentially rule them out if that were to happen as the NRL and QLD Government rightfully want a team playing out of Suncorp every week.

MugaB

Coach
That would essentially rule them out if that were to happen as the NRL and QLD Government rightfully want a team playing out of Suncorp every week.
Correct there has to be a 2 home tenant system in place for one of these bids to move away from suncorp after they are established as an NRL team, so if dolphins get this up coming bid, and their moreton daily stadium becomes bigger to atleast hold 20-25k, they wont be able to move there permanently until the next brisbane bid comes in which will have the same rules put upon it, otherwise suncorp is what it is now being once a fortnight and expansion is not worth it there for the broadcasters, might be great for moreton bay or Ipswich, but detrimental to the game overall