What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Jets

blaza88z

Coach
I've said it 50 times, if they want a 2nd "Brisbane" team, how about having a team that is based in "Brisbane".

Ipswich is not a part of Brisbane, it's an hour drive away from Suncorp so if they play their home games at Suncorp.. for those who aren't geographically aware of what that means, it's about as far away from Suncorp as the Titans are, is that really a Brisbane team?

MugaB

Coach
I've said it 50 times, if they want a 2nd "Brisbane" team, how about having a team that is based in "Brisbane".

Ipswich is not a part of Brisbane, it's an hour drive away from Suncorp so if they play their home games at Suncorp.. for those who aren't geographically aware of what that means, it's about as far away from Suncorp as the Titans are, is that really a Brisbane team?
Its actually 35mins drive from ispwich to milton, and crossing 41kms.
Same as dolphins 30mins north, from redcliffe to milton and 40kms

flippikat

Bench
The more I think about it, the more I suspect V'Landys is lining up 2 more Brisbane clubs - likely Dolphins, then either Firehawks or Jets.

The only question in my mind is whether he wants them as 17, then 18.. or puts one as 17, then NZ 2 as 18 (buying that 2nd Brisbane team time to 'bed down'), then a 3rd Brisbane team about a decade after the 2nd one (give or take a few years)

mongoose

Coach

nah it's not that far, about 35-40 min.

Robina to Suncorp would be over an hour...

48 minutes via car, at 1.54pm on a Saturday, which is out of the question as there's no parking near Lang Park. 65 minutes via public transport. Surely it would take much longer on a Thursday or Friday night.

25BEF4DA-5C69-4837-9052-D74A512CD9A3.png

The SE Busway is extending down to the Logan Hyperdome in Shailer Park.

Catching a free shuttle bus to Lang Park drops you off at the ground.

Does Ipswich have anything equivalent to the SE Busway?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The more I think about it, the more I suspect V'Landys is lining up 2 more Brisbane clubs - likely Dolphins, then either Firehawks or Jets.

The only question in my mind is whether he wants them as 17, then 18.. or puts one as 17, then NZ 2 as 18 (buying that 2nd Brisbane team time to 'bed down'), then a 3rd Brisbane team about a decade after the 2nd one (give or take a few years)

lol, I doubt they are 100% sure what they will do this year let alone having a master plan for ten years time!!

Tigers1986

Juniors
Nz2, for mine, is a higher priority than a 2nd Brisbane team. Broncos results are down and the crowds have followed. Relocate the Storm if they want the 2nd Brisbane side - South Queensland Storm.

Hartwood

Juniors
Brilliant reply
A low effort reply is what your comment deserved. Broncos, despite being unwatchable for 2 years, still average the highest crowds in the comp. Brisbane 2 and perth should be ahead of NZ 2. If your reasoning remains consistent then NZ2 aren't viable, as warriors have been bad for years and their crowds have never been that good, Auckland is the only city in NZ that gives a shit about RL and 2 teams in Auckland is oversaturation

Nz2, for mine, is a higher priority than a 2nd Brisbane team. Broncos results are down and the crowds have followed. Relocate the Storm if they want the 2nd Brisbane side - South Queensland Storm.
Brisbane 2 is a necessity because Brisbane is the world's second largest RL city and is severely underserved. Broncos crowds are down but still healthy despite having a team that is in dire straits. Any team is going to take a hit when it's anchored at the foot of the ladder.

Every club, and the game itself, will benefit from having a game played each week at Lang Park because it will add value to the broadcast rights.

I think NZ2 is important for the game to grow. Where it is placed and when, is the tricky bit.

I know this is a Jets thread, but given the subject of the post I am replying to, I think it's important to mention Perth's credentials. It is the fourth largest city in Australia and almost as big as Brisbane. It has a great bid begging for inclusion. Our game would need to be run by demented morons to knock back their bid as it's the only chance we'll ever get of expanding into foreign territory without funding for it.

I think an Ipswich team is at least 20 years away from being viable, and not the best candidate for a second Brisbane team that is based at Lang Park. But if it were to get the nod to be Brisbane's second team, surely it would need bring all three Walters brothers, Allan Langer and the Walker brothers into their camp to create a fair dinkum rivalry with the Broncos and convince rusted on Broncos supporters in Ipswich to support the new team.

blaza88z

Coach
I was at Ipswich on Saturday for their big race day and my views on the area have not changed, neither have my views on how long it takes to go from Brisbane to Ipswich (or Ipswich to Brisbane) with any sort of traffic

blaza88z

Coach

The crowds may not be as big as they would be if Brisbane were camped in the 8 but even still.. Suncorp drew 19k on Thursday night which is still more than any of the other 7 NRL games had

I was at Ipswich on Saturday for their big race day and my views on the area have not changed, neither have my views on how long it takes to go from Brisbane to Ipswich (or Ipswich to Brisbane) with any sort of traffic
Everything you said about Ipswich is correct. It's too far away, feels like a walk-in fridge set to the lowest setting on a winter's night and lacks the affluence needed to draw supporters from Brisbane. Much of the city is old and dilapidated, especially its CBD.

There's a distinct cultural difference between people from Ipswich and those who are not. I've attended a Jets home game and found the people from the area to be very rough, hostile towards outsiders and generally unhappy with their lot in life. There's a lot of crime and unemployment in the area. I encountered the same attitude from the locals every time I've been unfortunate enough to be in the area. I think it has the highest obesity rate in the country.

Santino Patane

Juniors
Everything you said about Ipswich is correct. It's too far away, feels like a walk-in fridge set to the lowest setting on a winter's night and lacks the affluence needed to draw supporters from Brisbane. Much of the city is old and dilapidated, especially its CBD.

There's a distinct cultural difference between people from Ipswich and those who are not. I've attended a Jets home game and found the people from the area to be very rough, hostile towards outsiders and generally unhappy with their lot in life. There's a lot of crime and unemployment in the area. I encountered the same attitude from the locals every time I've been unfortunate enough to be in the area. I think it has the highest obesity rate in the country.
Do you think it ironic that you you complain that Brisbanites think exactly the the same thing about Logan (bar the weather)???

Do you think it ironic that you you complain that Brisbanites think exactly the the same thing about Logan (bar the weather)???
I've lived in Brisbane for over 16 years and in Logan for almost 19 years, so I know what people think. I also know that Logan is a wonderful city, with much of it putting areas of Brisbane to shame.

The only parts of Logan that remind me of Ipswich are the former Gold Coast suburbs, like Beenleigh. The one time I was at Beenleigh' CBD I saw a teenage girl walking around pregnant with one already in a pram and dirty halfwits who were clearly on hard drugs, walking around like zombies during the middle of the day. I wouldn't want to live there. It's as dangerous and derelict as some of the inner suburbs of Brisbane that are littered with dangerous weirdos who've fried their brains on drugs.

The western suburbs of Logan are not as affluent as the eastern suburbs, but they're not as old and dilapidated as Ipswich and have beautiful parks for families.

Most of Brisbane is full of the most vile looking houses, known as Queenslanders, that are old and dilapidated. The lots are small and on top of one another with little greenery in many areas. It's depressing.

Didn't an American burger chain put its first Australian shop in Ipswich because it has so many fat people?

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
I've lived in Brisbane for over 16 years and in Logan for almost 19 years, so I know what people think. I also know that Logan is a wonderful city, with much of it putting areas of Brisbane to shame.

The only parts of Logan that remind me of Ipswich are the former Gold Coast suburbs, like Beenleigh. The one time I was at Beenleigh' CBD I saw a teenage girl walking around pregnant with one already in a pram and dirty halfwits who were clearly on hard drugs, walking around like zombies during the middle of the day. I wouldn't want to live there. It's as dangerous and derelict as some of the inner suburbs of Brisbane that are littered with dangerous weirdos who've fried their brains on drugs.

The western suburbs of Logan are not as affluent as the eastern suburbs, but they're not as old and dilapidated as Ipswich and have beautiful parks for families.

Most of Brisbane is full of the most vile looking houses, known as Queenslanders, that are old and dilapidated. The lots are small and on top of one another with little greenery in many areas. It's depressing.

Didn't an American burger chain put its first Australian shop in Ipswich because it has so many fat people?

Woodridge is probably the worst suburb in Brisbane which is smack bang in the middle of Logan lol

Santino Patane

Juniors

Donkeys- I was going to post a cute and witty reply to your retort, but out of respect, I will be direct:-

Here’s what I see with you- you are clearly an intelligent and thoughtful person that is very passionate about your home and surrounds. You are understandably frustrated with the status quo of Rugby League and wish to see a fairer balance of power in particular to the distribution of energy in RL. These are all points I respect in you and regard you well. There is a huge lack of intelligence in general and I appreciate seeing logic, reason and an actual ability to spell and construct well written posts.

But sometimes you let some big subjective opinions drive your heuristics to a point you act as they are objective. This brings you down big time. You also have a tendency to tar people with with the one brush. The world is not so black and white.

Yes, there are some shithole parts to Ipswich, but there’s good and bad everywhere. Logan is no better. Yes, there’s some really nice areas that have high facility and well looked after properties, but Woodridge, Kingston, Slacks Creek, Browns Plains, Hillcrest, Marsden, Creastmead, Loganlea, Eagleby and Boronia Heights are no better than the rough areas in Ipswich. Also, Redcliffe and surrounds are probably just as rough as Ipswich yet it seems to be the front runner.

Again, there’s good and bad at all levels in all areas, and I don’t think Logan is a bad place to live at all. I’m in a nice neighbourhood with mostly owner occupied homes that has a great aesthetic and pride shown in most homes. Plus the ability to work in Brisbane and spend my days on the Coast make it a place I want to stay in.

As for the football team, don’t be an arsehole about a whole area that outright wipes a bid just because of your own prejudice. Argue actual objective truths and listen to what the actual powers to be are giving out.

Latest posts