What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane papers don't rate the Knights.

coolumsharkie

Referee
hineyrulz said:
The main reason the CM doesn't rate the Knights is that they're coached by Brian Smith, who has been ragged up here ever since he called Uncle Benny the spin doctor back in 99. I think the Knights have bought fairly well and will challenge for a spot in the top 8.

Who will BS ostracise this year?.... A cheap shot by a very cheap journo.

Mind you I have a friend that was coached by BS, He's 42 and he still hates him with a passion. :)

Choppies

Coach
Shorty said:
LOL.
Unless it's North Queensland,Titans and most importantly Broncos...everybody's 16/17th.

I can see their ladder now.

1.Brisbane
2.Cowboys
3.Titans
16. Everyone else.
17.Newcastle

eels_fan_01

Bench
Whats the issue again? Im sorry, i actually missed it. The Brisbane papers predicted what many of us have predicted and what will probably happen.

1. Broncos
2. Storm
3. Eels
4. Warriors
5. Roosters
6. Cowboys
7. Raiders
8. Souths

thats the final 8 right there. newcastle last.

/thread

eels_fan_01

Bench
pennywisealfie said:
1. Broncos
2. Storm
3. Eels
4. Warriors
5. Roosters
6. Cowboys
7. Raiders
8. Souths

/thread

Swap Cowboys with Broncos and youve got yourself the top 8.

eels_fan_01 said:
Swap Cowboys with Broncos and youve got yourself the top 8.

yeh i agree cowboys could go all the way imo such a talented team

Broncos are good but there lost so much and they only just made the 8 last year

what did they predict the t igers would come im guessing 9th again casuse thats where we have finished twice in the last 4 years

Jobdog

Live Update Team
kia ora storm said:
Raiders or Knights will be fighting it out for the wooden spoon...my money is on the Knights.
And you my friend, will be wrong.

As Serc said, before we got smashed with injuries towards the back end of the year last year, we were inside the top 8 - but crashed and burned in the final 8 games, losing 7 of them. But keep writing us off, thats fine by me :cool:

NthKnight

pennywisealfie said:
1. Broncos
2. Storm
3. Eels
4. Warriors
5. Roosters
6. Cowboys
7. Raiders
8. Souths

/thread

:lol: If the Broncos get the minor premiership with their weak pack and lack of depth in the 3/4 line I will run down Queen St naked. You are dead set dreaming big fella

weak pack LOL is Hannant, Clinton, Taylor, Thaiday, parker, Carroll, Stagg, Sims a weak pack? dont think so buddy. im gonna hold you to that deal too, i just told you what the final 8 is gonna be, so why would u f**k urself over like that.

NthKnight

pennywisealfie said:
weak pack LOL is Hannant, Clinton, Taylor, Thaiday, parker, Carroll, Stagg, Sims a weak pack? dont think so buddy. im gonna hold you to that deal too, i just told you what the final 8 is gonna be, so why would u f**k urself over like that.

Yes mate, the only palyer in that pack with any form is Carroll. Hannant and Thaiday will struggle with the reduces interchanges, Clinton and Simms are overrated, Taylor can barely get a start in a trial and seems to be suffering from the pressure of 2nd year syndrome and Parker and Stagg are solid but certainly not world beaters.

You put Brisnane in at 1. mate and that IMO is laughable considering the depth, leadership and attacking potency they have lost. No mate I havnt f**ked myself, that bet is pretty safe.

Shorty

Staff member
Jobdog said:

As Serc said, before we got smashed with injuries towards the back end of the year last year, we were inside the top 8 - but crashed and burned in the final 8 games, losing 7 of them. But keep writing us off, thats fine by me :cool:
To be fair JD,there was a whole lot of congestion from 2-8 and basically a lot of teams were in the 8 or close to it by a few points.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The journos look at the players that have played first grade and their form over the last couple of seasons. In that way they will never tip a correct top 8 due to rookies, players that improve/go backwards, lack of knowledge about fringe first graders.

NthKnight

The Engineers Room said:
The journos look at the players that have played first grade and their form over the last couple of seasons. In that way they will never tip a correct top 8 due to rookies, players that improve/go backwards, lack of knowledge about fringe first graders.

Thats right, hence: Newspaper predictions = Pile of poo.

Not worth the paper they are written on IMO

mxlegend99

Referee
At full strength, i don't think any team looks like they would get the wooden spoon. Seriously, every team can make a case for why they could make the top 8. What ever team ends up with the spoon, is most likely going to have key players on the sidelines for a great deal of the season.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Someone has to finish last but with the closeness of this competition, it is possible for any team to do that.

When journos look at the Raider and the Knights, they see teams with players they aren't familiar with and discount them. The Panthers have lost a name halfback and not replaced him with anyone they know. The Bulldogs have lost a lot of talent upfront.

These are the teams they will think are bottom 4. But what they don't take into account is:

Raiders and Knights both have a few young guys with a lot to prove and good young halves combos
Panthers have a wealth of rookie talent and some players that have under performed the last few years that are dying to regain their form
Bulldogs have recruited some good fringe players and also have a very strong junior base.

If I picked an 8, I wouldn't know where to start but I wouldn't have these 4 as definites for 13-16th.

Similarly, most have the Storm and Eels at the top but a few injuries or bad form and they could easily miss the 8.

Karmawave

Bench
With a line up of Kurt Gidley, Jarrod Mullen and Danny Buderus in the key positions of 1,7 and 9, you are setting yourself up to look stupid saying the Knights are wooden spooners. Its a bit hard to say none look familiar with those representative players in the key possies.

Newcastle lacks depth in all 3 positions however, though if injuries are kind, the Knights will suprise many, and satisfy those who aren't game enough to write them off just yet.

The Knights lost Andrew Johns early in 07, Mullen was injured pretty much the entire year after the State Of Origin, and Buderus played injured all year. Apart from the end of the year when things fell apart, they were competitive.

Its a bit hard to see anything other than improvement in the team to be honest.

Jobdog said:

same thing with the tigers and sharks with 4 rounds to go tigers were trying to get a top 4 spot and werent far away from it
sharks were going well first half too

u guys have as much chance at top 8 as 14 other teams

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Shorty said:
To be fair JD,there was a whole lot of congestion from 2-8 and basically a lot of teams were in the 8 or close to it by a few points.
Only 8 teams can be in the 8 tbh ;-) - the Knights were one of them 2/3's of the way through last year before being cruelled by injuries and players playing half-arsed after being told they were no longer required.

Latest posts