What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

Centy Coast

Juniors
Can you expand further on the Tigers Bears talk?
Just a few of the boys having a beer together a few weeks ago when the QLD Cup didn’t take place, one with Wynnum-Manly Seagulls, another with the Burleigh Bears, one from the North Sydney Bears and one playing with the Brisbane Tigers) just saying they’d heard talks, saying it would be sick to play together again if it happened as they all played at Ourimbah together through juniors.
Then I heard it again yesterday from a few of the Magpie boys at their match so obviously the boys have been talking.
I just wondered if the Brisbane Bears title/name had been trade marked by AFL and if they still own it.
The AFL Bear was a koala not a grizzly so maybe it doesn’t matter ?.
I’m going to a game at North Sydney Oval in a few weeks so I’ll do some digging then.
That’s all I know.
Personally I can’t see another Brisbane team coming in so soon after the Dolphins.
Both Brisbane Tigers (Hostplus QLD Cup, 2023 defending Premiers) and the Bears (Knock on Effect NSW Cup, 2023 Minor Premiers and Grand Finalists) are two of the leading teams in their respective competitions.
Both are feeder clubs to the Melbourne Storm plus the Brisbane Tigers can’t use the Tiger logo and the Bears are available.
Maybe this was an option if their other preferences weren’t accepted by the NRL ?.
Who knows ?.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Just a few of the boys having a beer together a few weeks ago when the QLD Cup didn’t take place, one with Wynnum-Manly Seagulls, another with the Burleigh Bears, one from the North Sydney Bears and one playing with the Brisbane Tigers) just saying they’d heard talks, saying it would be sick to play together again if it happened as they all played at Ourimbah together through juniors.
Then I heard it again yesterday from a few of the Magpie boys at their match so obviously the boys have been talking.
I just wondered if the Brisbane Bears title/name had been trade marked by AFL and if they still own it.
I’m going to a game at North Sydney Oval in a few weeks so I’ll do some digging then.
That’s all I know.
Personally I can’t see another Brisbane team coming in so soon after the Dolphins.
Both Brisbane Tigers (Hostplus QLD Cup, 2023 defending Premiers) and the Bears (Knock on Effect NSW Cup, 2023 Minor Premiers and Grand Finalists) are two of the leading teams in their respective competitions.
Both are feeder clubs to the Melbourne Storm plus the Brisbane Tigers can’t use the Tiger logo and the Bears are available.
Maybe this was an option if their other preferences weren’t accepted by the NRL ?.
Who knows ?.
This would be a massive slap in PRs face if they got the 19th licence over Perth,
"South Brisbane Bears" not a bad idea both want in, both have what the other needs, Orange/Black, Red/Black, if they get a color between orange-red that just might do it, (vermilion), or just keep it separated Black, Gold, Red.
Oh I can hear it now the new team stole our WApirates colors again...
Also this charming quote,
"trust the NRL to expand with another NSW/QLD team"

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
That’s all I know.
Who knows ?.
Interesting. Though I'm skeptical as to why Easts would give up any power to Norths in that scenario? Unless they thought it was a sure fire way of getting the club across the line after Firehawks went south.

An expansion club backed by a rich QRL club and a former ARL club is a competitive proposal when compared to others.

As for branding, the Lions will kick up a stink about the Brisbane Bears but the South Queensland Bears or Queensland Bears have no problem.

Wb1234

Referee
This would be a massive slap in PRs face if they got the 19th licence over Perth,
"South Brisbane Bears" not a bad idea both want in, both have what the other needs, Orange/Black, Red/Black, if they get a color between orange-red that just might do it, (vermilion), or just keep it separated Black, Gold, Red.
NZ2 for 19

Brisbane 3 for 20

flippikat

Bench
NZ2 for 19

Brisbane 3 for 20
Those two after Perth gets team 18 seems pretty reasonable to me.

Then the next step is getting regular games in Adelaide, to generate interest & guage the market for a possible team there (whether as 21 or 22, or relocation)

Of course, the sooner we get regular games in Adelaide, the sooner we're fostering that potential.

A guaranteed game in Adelaide every season should be happening ALREADY - after all we have a game every year in Darwin & there's little to no chance of there being an NRL team placed there, right?

Wb1234

Referee
Those two after Perth gets team 18 seems pretty reasonable to me.

Then the next step is getting regular games in Adelaide, to generate interest & guage the market for a possible team there (whether as 21 or 22, or relocation)

Of course, the sooner we get regular games in Adelaide, the sooner we're fostering that potential.

A guaranteed game in Adelaide every season should be happening ALREADY - after all we have a game every year in Darwin & there's little to no chance of there being an NRL team placed there, right?
PNG is locked in at 18 mate

nz are close to taking spot number 19 from Perth

Bukowski

Juniors
As I've said before, 5 Queensland NRL teams means we go from 12 to 20 All-Queensland derby games each year.
Are the derby's that don't involve the Broncos bigger attractions than when a Qld club plays a non QLD club?
Is the cowboys v Titans any bigger than cowboys v dogs?

Canard

Immortal
Are the derby's that don't involve the Broncos bigger attractions than when a Qld club plays a non QLD club?
No.

It would only dilute the product by over saturating it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Itd be so rugba league lol. I half expect it to happen its so myopic.

Canard

Immortal
People seem to really struggle to take there Sydney bubble glasses off, and keep looking at this about whats best for the game in Sydney.

A transplanted Sydney team moving to QLD is a close to the worst of all worlds. Given historic rivalries, this would be destined to fail.

IF a team was to be transplanted, a total new area without any League rivalry or history would be the best option (and even then more games in Sydney is a terrible option)

docbrown

Coach
1713753188953.png
Well this is the season so far:

Broncos - 1 & 3 peaks were derbies. 2nd was following on from a derby week. 4th was Vegas event. The other non derbies were all lower.

Cowboys - 1 & 2 peaks were derbies. 3rd was following on from a derby week. 4th was a derby too. The other non derbies were all lower.

Dolphins - 1 & 2 peaks were derbies. 3rd & 4th were following on from a derby week. 5th & 6th were derbies.

Titans - 1 was a derby. 2 was opening game. 3 was the last round. 4th was a derby. The other non derbies were lower.

I think what you see is interest peaks when there is a derby game (Rounds 4 & 6 in particular) and then there is often a residual overhang in interest in that same team the following week, particularly if a team has played well (Round 7).

Desert Qlder

First Grade
East Coast Jets. The club for South-West Brisbane, Logan and Southern Moreton Bay.

3 home games per year at rebuilt Ipswich Stadium. The rest at Suncorp Stadium.

Licensed clubs at Ipswich and Coorparoo.

Massive junior nursery stretching across the region.

Qld Cup links with Easts Tigers, Ipswich, Wynnum and Western Clydesdales.

Perth Red

Post Whore
East Coast Jets. The club for South-West Brisbane, Logan and Southern Moreton Bay.

3 home games per year at rebuilt Ipswich Stadium. The rest at Suncorp Stadium.

Licensed clubs at Ipswich and Coorparoo.

Massive junior nursery stretching across the region.

Qld Cup links with Easts Tigers, Ipswich, Wynnum and Western Clydesdales.
Brisbane2's crowds are already dropping. Titans continue to struggle. Think we need to wait a bit (like 10-15 years) before adding another competitor into the SEQ market.