What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane v Melbourne

Jono078

Referee
Unlucky Broncos.. Tupou was a big loss, because it made Tate play on the wing and he doesnt do too well there..

If they can play like that in the semis they will get far with a bit of luck.

Ghoulies

Bench
I don't buy that we're out of the slump.

Sure, it was a fantastic effort, but we never should have lost this one. Our forwards operated at close to 100% capacity yet we could only post 2 tries. Perry was no threat to the Melbourne line, so it all came down to Lockyer, who just can't handle that sort of pressure. Maybe things will turn around when Hunt returns, but we can't expect that kind of forward dominance against packs like the Dogs'.

btw, kudos to Hodges (300+ metres made), Thorn, Thaiday, Parker, Webcke; and of course to the very professional Storm side.

Jono078

Referee
Hodges was great, Man of the match IMO.

And well done Melbourne, noones gonna want to play you in the finals lol.

AsPiRiNg YoUtH

Juniors
Bicey_18 said:
5 losses in a row = SLUMP

Look up the definition of the word. Todays performance otherwise. If we keep that up, as i said, with Hunt so all our attack is Lockyer, we will get far. We have effort and enthusiasm. Something being in a real slump would not do. Also the teams we have been playing are not poor teams (except the tigers.)

And yeah, Melbourne were fantastic. Great composure.

And i must say, the ref today was great. Although Melbourne seemed to get away with a lot with slowing the play the ball down. Yes its a part of our game, but some were penalty offences, but overall terrific game of football from everyone, including sides and officals. Obly dud call i can think of was the Ingliss knock on, which wasn't.

Bicey_18

Bench
Slump: The downward movement (collapse)

Brisbane have lost their past 5 games.... They are sliding are they not?

Is that you Wayne?

Raiders Plight

Juniors
AsPiRiNg YoUtH said:
Look up the definition of the word. Todays performance otherwise. If we keep that up, as i said, with Hunt so all our attack is Lockyer, we will get far. We have effort and enthusiasm. Something being in a real slump would not do. Also the teams we have been playing are not poor teams (except the tigers.)

And yeah, Melbourne were fantastic. Great composure.

And i must say, the ref today was great. Although Melbourne seemed to get away with a lot with slowing the play the ball down. Yes its a part of our game, but some were penalty offences, but overall terrific game of football from everyone, including sides and officals. Obly dud call i can think of was the Ingliss knock on, which wasn't.

slump or no slump, the broncos will be lucky to win another game this year.

AsPiRiNg YoUtH

Juniors
To fall or sink heavily; collapse:

Heavily? I dont think so.

We are not playing bad. Sure we have lost, but after todays performance you cannot say that. Brisbane were good, but Melbourne showed why there the Minor Premeirs.

Raiders, i agree. With such a hardrun home, it will be hard, but if todays performance is any incication, and with Hunt coming back, we wont be limited to Lockyer, and Perry can just go back to taking pressure from Lockyer. I live in hope. Afterall i was scared today and almost did not watch.

Oh and one more thing. Cockers tackle on Thaiday. Pathetic that it even was a penalty. I mean, sure he grabbed between the legs, but please, he landed on his back. If he gets suspended, thats an absolute joke.

camsmith

Juniors
Great game again by the Storm.. i seem to be saying that every week.

How many weeks (if any) do you think Crocker will get?

I thought there was nothing in it, but given his record might get a couple of weeks?

was there a rule change during the week? more often than not the broncos were well inside the 10

also storm got dudded on 2 calls...a knock on call against inglis when he never even touched the ball and then later on the broncos were throwing the ball around on the 5th tackle and the ref called 6 again when the ball went way over geyers arm, luckily coop cronk stripped the ball 1-on-1 on the enxt tackle

Jono078

Referee
LESStar58 said:
How bad was Crockers tackle? I didn't see the game....

Are we resigned to losing him again?

Wasnt that bad, should get off, or if anything with the judicary.. 1 week at most.

AsPiRiNg YoUtH

Juniors
IMO there was nothing in it. He had Thaiday between the legs and lifted, but IMO never got in a dangerous situation. Than again, the ref and players didnt like it, and its on report. Plus with hos history, he is probably gone. The commentaters also said he will probably miss a few weeks as well. If so thats pathetic. Nothing in it.

salivor

First Grade
Don't kid yourself AsPiRiNg YoUtH, we're in a slump, it's only over when we actually start winning games. The committment may have been there today but for the amount of possession and field position we had in the first half to only be up by 10 points simply wasn't good enough.

All the same signs of the last few weeks were there at stages of that match, the inability to convert points, clocking off at crucial times, too much empathsis on Locky and just utter incompetence on last tackle options.

Certainly the effort brings some encouragement for our remaining matches but I don't know if they'll be mentally any better off after that one. They've just thrown everything into 80 minutes of footy, were completely dominant up front, had plenty oodles of chances and couldn't get away with 2 points. What could've been a turning point could just cast more doubt on the players belief.

What I am particuarly proud of though was the efforts of Civoniceva and Webcke today. Forget about Lockyer, Hodges, Tate etc, the firepower and the showponies, the real go to men at Brisbane are those two, they're so crucial to our fortunes and they really led from the front today.

slightly dangerous position but thaiday landed on his back

Bris played extremely well today but in the end it came to nothing...if they played anyone else today they would have won, they cant fall into the same trap the sharks did after playing a great game against the storm only losing by about 10points and then losing the next 3 or 4

AsPiRiNg YoUtH

Juniors
Salivor while i may agree on the points issue, but lets not forget who we were playing. How many points have the tsorm conceded? Not many. They have the best defence in the NRL, and showed that today. I am just of the hope that if we keep that up and with the return of Hunt, we wont be Lockyer focused. We will have another ball player and be able to score the points.

And yes your right, Webcke was outstanding. He will be missed next year. I also thought Hannant was great and Thaiday too. We play the Dogs on Friday, and if Hunt is back and we perform poorly, than i give up. If we win, than i feel we are a real threat for the title. This week showed we have spark, while also showing we put too much empahisis on Lockyer. With Hunt back, if we still lose, game over.

salivor

First Grade
Have the Storm been so dominated up front over the last couple of months? For 40 straight minutes we pounded the crap out of them and dominated field position yet blew about 4 opportunies on their line with mistakes or poor last tackle options. That's just the first half, the second half got worse.

As I think it was Ghoulies stated, we won't get close to having that same forward dominance against the Dogs, we're going to have to play on a level playing field next week and Hunt won't be the quick fix your hoping for. He's gonig to have to work himself back into match fitness and it will still take a couple of games to get the combination with Lockyer geling again.

AsPiRiNg YoUtH

Juniors
True. But still the goal line defence again proved its the best. Last tackle options were poor, and i blame that to no Hunt, as we are Lockyer orientated. I am a fan. And as a fan live in hope. You are probably right, but if they play even half of what today was like, and their last play attack is even a little better, we can only improve. Even if we lose, but improve, its still getting the confidence they need into the finals.