What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane v Melbourne

LESStar58

Referee
Collingwood Storm said:
slightly dangerous position but thaiday landed on his back

Bris played extremely well today but in the end it came to nothing...if they played anyone else today they would have won, they cant fall into the same trap the sharks did after playing a great game against the storm only losing by about 10points and then losing the next 3 or 4

just saw it on Sports tonight then... I think he'll be out for a while...2-3 weeks at best.

Leagueguy

Juniors
If this game was being played further out from the finals I'd be really excited considering:

- Melbourne are our biggest bogey team. They rush up in defence as much as anyone, which Brisbane hate, their defence is awesome, they slow down our big men in the play the ball, there very dangerous around the ruck with Smith and their attack is extremely quick.
- Therefore for us to do well against Melbourne is always a good sign.
- Hunt and Ennis will return to improve our attack greatly.
- Ultimately after today, with our best team out on the field I think we are as good a chance as anyone.

However because we still lost, have the dogs and parra comming up (hunt won't be back untill the parra game and ennis till the warriors), we could still slide right out of 8. Although if we could sneak a couple of wins in the next couple of weeks and finish anywhere in the top 6, I'd be feeling good. I don't know what to think.

renouf

Juniors
That was one of the most brutal games I've ever seen... who said Canterbury had the best pack in the comp? Bring on friday night... it's gonna be ON (unless they are buggered from today)

Leagueguy

Juniors
Nah Hunt said at the game today that he's not going to be fit until the Parra match. Ennis said in todays paper he hopes to be back for the Warriors.

salivor

First Grade
Well there goes the Hunt theory, so what else have we got up our sleeve or were all our cards on show today?

AsPiRiNg YoUtH said:
IMO there was nothing in it. He had Thaiday between the legs and lifted, but IMO never got in a dangerous situation. Than again, the ref and players didnt like it, and its on report. Plus with hos history, he is probably gone. The commentaters also said he will probably miss a few weeks as well. If so thats pathetic. Nothing in it.

There was nothing in Crocker's tackle...it was pretty much a great hit but the refs will penalise him for just being a bloody tough bugger.

If Crocker gets suspended for this then the ref's are just biased...:evil:

nqboy

First Grade
Unfortunatley, just a biased Sid-a-nee view.
t-ba said:
A few reasons:

A) They're blamed by alot of old heads for destroying what remained of the BRL.
That's only in Sydney. (Edit - Sorry just re-read (Willie?) this, not a factor at all. Too long ago.
t-ba said:
B) Super League (How many RL fans in Perth gave up on the reds when they stabbed the ARL in the back? Now Imagine that in a city where RL is no.1!)
Not a factor either. Most Brisbanites hated the NSWRL cartel.
t-ba said:
C) Bloody Mexicans importing thier filthy southerner AFL culture...
Just not a factor whatsoever. IT's all about the Broncos corporate culture isolating the man in the street from his team.

nqboy

First Grade
t-ba said:
Would you refute the statement that a sizeable portion of a significant number of Brizvegans hatred of the Broncos is derived from Super League?
Yes I would. Most of them just hate the corporate culture as I did when I lived there while one of my friends was a high-ranked Brisbane insider.

nqboy

First Grade
CrazyEel said:
Broncs put in a fantastic 1st half effort but now look a spent force. Would appear they are just not good enough.
At this point, Brisbane made a couple of handling errors and my mates and I were saying, "Here come the jitters". Sure enough, they never looked like it after that.

Leagueguy

Juniors
Well there goes the Hunt theory, so what else have we got up our sleeve or were all our cards on show today?

They need to show the same desperation in attack as they did in defence. They should throw it round more and try and get quicker play the balls. If they did that they'd look a lot better. Their defence was great today, they seeemed to really turn it around. They just need to be more aggressive in attack near the line. There too timid.

nqboy

First Grade
AsPiRiNg YoUtH said:
And i must say, the ref today was great.
Totally agree. Always happy to give referees credit where it's due. Hardly noticed him (if it wasn't for his voice).

salivor

First Grade
Leagueguy said:
They need to show the same desperation in attack as they did in defence. They should throw it round more and try and get quicker play the balls. If they did that they'd look a lot better. Their defence was great today, they seeemed to really turn it around. They just need to be more aggressive in attack near the line. There too timid.

But they had that against the Tigers and got nowhere. We had this debate earlier on in the week and after today I stand by my opinion that desperation won't win us football matches because we had it in bucket loads today and still weren't good enough as we're playing completely devoid of any footballing nous.

What we need is not desperation, we need confidence and we won't get confidence without wins or even just a win and we won't get that without a decent game plan.

Leagueguy

Juniors
I thought we were more desperate today than we have the last few weeks and it was reflected in our defence, and maybe our go go foward. When I say desperate in attack, I guess you could subsitute that for intensity. I just don't think Brisbane make it easy on themselves by not having second phase play and not playing the ball quickly. Any short commings the team has are amplified by not doing these things.

salivor

First Grade
Second phase play all comes down to the game plan. We all know that Webcke, Civoniceva, Carlaw, Parker, Stagg, Carroll, Thaiday etc have good ball and offloading skills, there can only be possibly one reason why we don't see them and that has to be coaching instructions.

I don't think slow play the balls are something that we can fix though, that's purely down to the nature of the size and lack of mobility in out pack and to an extent fitness as well.

nqboy

First Grade
salivor said:
Second phase play all comes down to the game plan. We all know that Webcke, Civoniceva, Carlaw, Parker, Stagg, Carroll, Thaiday etc have good ball and offloading skills, there can only be possibly one reason why we don't see them and that has to be coaching instructions.

I don't think slow play the balls are something that we can fix though, that's purely down to the nature of the size and lack of mobility in out pack and to an extent fitness as well.
Disagree. Webcke has ball skills only against inferior opposition. Civ either runs or off-loads but not both. Carlaw. Parker, maybe this season but never before. Stagg, you're kidding, right? Thaiday, the Gordon Tallis disease where, having beaten two or three, he can't see anything else but others to beat, regardless of his supports.