What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

docbrown

Coach
haha I dont think so.

The only people who woud have an issue with it, is those who have a dirty mind!!!

imagine the great chants

imagine the merchanidse

You could have a tshirt "im a black (ock for life"

So just to clarify -

The Kookaburras are soft but the Big Black c**ks are hard?

Paullyboy

Coach
I like the Kookaburra's name, but hate the rivercity concept. If you could vote for Brisbane Kookaburra's I would have voted.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
A kookaburra was going to be the name of the Broncos at one stage wasn’t it? Also weren’t they going to use blue in the uniform until someone objected because Queenslanders typically booed teams in blue? Was sure it was on Sean’s site but couldn’t find it.

Could be some nice symmetry if this bid uses a Kookaburra mascot and some blue in their uniform.

applesauce

Bench
I suggested on the sly (on the hope that I would get into the final list by not saying it here) the Brisbane Gryphons.

It is unique and mythological like the Dragons or Demons (in AFL). But the main reason is the Brisbane coat of arms:

brisbane_city_coa_n4468.gif

Something like that has a far greater meaning to Brisbane than the Rivercity Kookaburras! And replacing the middle shield and top middle with a design of BGRLFC would be a classy and original touch, like many EPL sides.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
I suggested on the sly (on the hope that I would get into the final list by not saying it here) the Brisbane Gryphons.

It is unique and mythological like the Dragons or Demons (in AFL). But the main reason is the Brisbane coat of arms:

brisbane_city_coa_n4468.gif

Something like that has a far greater meaning to Brisbane than the Rivercity Kookaburras! And replacing the middle shield and top middle with a design of BGRLFC would be a classy and original touch, like many EPL sides.

Maybe it's because I have an interest in heraldry, but I like it. It's unique in Australian sport and has a direct link to the city.

Griffins/Gryphons were unique because they were considered kings of both beasts and birds.

Even if the official team name wasn't the Griffins, there was one other that would suit it - Queensland Kings - as you often see Griffins adorned with a crown.

2709958763_46bc0aa75c_z.jpg

docbrown

Coach
You know what - screw that list -

I'd love to see the QUEENSLAND KINGS with a crowned Griffin as their mascot.

Good one Applesauce!

applesauce

Bench
You know what - screw that list -

I'd love to see the QUEENSLAND KINGS with a crowned Griffin as their mascot.

Good one Applesauce!

Honestly the bid team in regards to names are spastics. I even put after my name on "Build our Team" that Gryphons were in the Brisbane coat of arms.

Brewers is good and Davies Park would be perfect for that, but why does the NRL need to be associated with alcohol even more...?

If that is the final list then I can only see South QLD Dolphins being a truely successful name. Team playing out of Suncorp, aligned with a QCUP team with more cash than Manly, Cronulla and Penrith combined. They would be able to capture much of the Sunshine Coast in their catchment and engage the Northern aspects of Brisbane and the name doesn't discriminate against anyone from Toowoomba, Ipswich etc.

I was so sure they would at least give Gryphons a run on the final list, douches.:roll:

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Honestly the bid team in regards to names are spastics. I even put after my name on "Build our Team" that Gryphons were in the Brisbane coat of arms.

Brewers is good and Davies Park would be perfect for that, but why does the NRL need to be associated with alcohol even more...?

If that is the final list then I can only see South QLD Dolphins being a truely successful name. Team playing out of Suncorp, aligned with a QCUP team with more cash than Manly, Cronulla and Penrith combined. They would be able to capture much of the Sunshine Coast in their catchment and engage the Northern aspects of Brisbane and the name doesn't discriminate against anyone from Toowoomba, Ipswich etc.

I was so sure they would at least give Gryphons a run on the final list, douches.:roll:

Well I dislike the majority of the list as I've already stated.

Baylines/Bobcats/Bombers/Braves/Heat/Buccaneers/Cyclones/Spartans/Rogues - all rubbish.

Barracudes/Stingrays/Kookaburras/Taipans - passable but nothing great

The only names of any standard are Brewers and Dolphins and Brewers has a big cloud hanging over it so I can't see it actually happening.

That said - I think aiming to be a Northern Brisbane team by associating with Redcliffe could be a mistake. Their excuse for not accepting Diehards & Brothers was that they didn't want to step on the toes of any existing fan bases - yet they'll be doing just that if they pick the Dolphins. Reeks of BS to me.

I had thought that of the other non-existing ones tossed about that Battlers, Kings and (Bush)rangers would get a look in seeing how much they were mentioned but I never really had a favourite. I don't know about the name for the actual club being the 'Brisbane/Queensland Gryphons' - it might be a bit too much for some people.

But now that you've put the image in my mind, honestly - QUEENSLAND KINGS - with their mascot as a heraldic crowned gryphon - that could be iconic, more unique than just some other bird, fish, meterological event or nautical theme.

I've noticed that on the Facebook bid page people are posting Kookaburras mock ups. :roll:

Perhaps you could post one of your gryphons. I really think you're onto something.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The current Qld team names (Devils, Jets, Dolphins, Comets, Seagulls) are way better than some of those names.

juro

Bench
Isn't one of the Italian rugby league teams the griffons? I think they had a great logo too. Can't find it now...