What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Jankuloski

Juniors
My faculty team is called the griffons - my avatar is the logo.

There is a RL side griffoni in Italiy:

180584_1758892662541_1545771144_31788922_2853040_n.jpg

The FC Roma supporters (or some other Italian FC) are called Griffoni..

joshreading

Staff member
I think the Griffins is not a bad options. I especially like the idea of a crest (obviously you still have the cool kids stuff etc on other merch). Some sense of contrast with the Broncos is needed. As such a sense of traditional would actually be 'cool' in many circles, especially with many of the crests the Euro Soccer teams have.

However I think South Queensland is better than Brisbane as it allows the team to represent a far wider area without stretching the imagery. Creating official ties with Redcliffe, Sunshine Coast and even west up to Ipswich and Toowoomba.

Ps. I still think SQ Diggers would be cool

Last edited:

juro

Bench
I find teams named after legendary creatures a lot more appealing than teams named after the weather (storm, heat, hurricanes, cyclones, ...). We've already got the dragons and titans, the ESL has the giants, the A-league has the phoenix, griffons are being mentioned now. What other creatures could be used? Minotaur? Centaur? Unicorn? What others?

I guess the last two are not a good choice if wanting to differentiate yourself from the broncos...

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sticking with the Griffin theme how about
Sth Queensland Royals - using a traditional crest with a griffin on it and the griffin more cartoony for kids merchandise? Dark blue, crimson and gold for their colours.

Dragon

Coach
I find teams named after legendary creatures a lot more appealing than teams named after the weather (storm, heat, hurricanes, cyclones, ...). We've already got the dragons and titans, the ESL has the giants, the A-league has the phoenix, griffons are being mentioned now. What other creatures could be used? Minotaur? Centaur? Unicorn? What others?

I guess the last two are not a good choice if wanting to differentiate yourself from the broncos...

Unleash the Kraken!

Hell Hounds
Gargoyles
Werewolfs

Griffins is nice, Brisbane Phoenix would be awesome if not for gay-league

otori

Juniors
Echidnas are cool mascots and could be made to look fierce unlike a platypus or wombat. What about razorbacks like in the basketball?

Still think Brisbane Dingoes would be a winner. Do the logo up like the Warrington Wolves logo but more doggy.

docbrown

Coach
Sticking with the Griffin theme how about
Sth Queensland Royals - using a traditional crest with a griffin on it and the griffin more cartoony for kids merchandise? Dark blue, crimson and gold for their colours.

Well if you look at the tincture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tincture_(heraldry)

There are two metals: Gold & Silver/White
There are five colours: Blue, Red, Purple, Black & Green

So Gold, Black and White maybe?
Or White, Black and Green?

By the way - here's another example of a crowned Gryphon/Griffin.

SOUTH QUEENSLAND KINGS:

454px-POL_Szczecin_COA.svg.png

Frailty

First Grade
Brisbane Odyssey...

Odysseus was known for never giving up despite being hammered repetitively by the Greek Gods (of the wind, and sea, etc.).

applesauce

Bench
I think almost everyone (not including Kookaburras fans) that this Bid has f**ked up with the names... Crying shame.

docbrown

Coach
I think almost everyone (not including Kookaburras fans) that this Bid has f**ked up with the names... Crying shame.

Agreed.

I wonder if anyone's copied them in on this thread so they can get a real public reaction rather than what their marketers are informing them.

That said:

Go the SOUTH QUEENSLAND KINGS!

m-224c.jpg

dimitri

First Grade
What about

Brisbane Black King (oCks

You could have the black cockatoo - but make his crest into a crown shape

Like how Sydney Kings have the opera house in a crown shape!

Thad be awesome!!

Brisbane Black King (oCks

docbrown

Coach
Loving the first logo. Old gold, Maroon and Black are a nice touch too.

That one's pretty cool. Traditional heraldic colours too.

No reason why WA & Brisbane II can't both have Old Gold. Alot of NFL teams use it in various forms. In the Red's case the colour (red) would be dominate. In this case it's the metal (old gold) that catches the eye.

m-224c.jpg

docbrown

Coach
I think we should rerun this poll to include some of the other options that have been posted on here, just to see how they compare to the ones the official bid has selected. Maybe take the top five or six off this poll - Barracudas, Brewers, Buccaneers, Stingrays, Kookaburras & Dolphins.

Because seeing as how the majority of the posts on the thread are bagging out the choices we probably also need a "The majority of these bid names are shit" as an additional option.

The Kookaburras have 17.7% of the vote. The Kookaburras as a nickname is passable (in my opinion), but it's a hardly overwhelming public response even for such a small sample size.

It'd be interesting to see what the full list of 98 names were to see what missed the grade considering how poor the choices here are.

I still think Applesauce's Griffins/Coat of Arms/Royals/Kings theme is a goer.

Last edited: