What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Bro Bear

Juniors
Can't wait to see Perth have all their imported players from QLD, NSW, and NZ. That would be two teams being dependant on importing players where as the CC Bears and the QLD teams can rely on their juniors. If WA gets a team it needs to be a current Sydney club struggling with the cash.

Bring in the Bears and a QLD team. Have the Sharks or Panthers or another struggling Sydney club play "X" amount games in Perth..

clarency

Juniors
Perth relocation won't work for the same reason a Central Coast relocation won't work. The WA Reds identity is firmly established over there and is a solid base to start from in regards to an NRL team. Relocation should be occuring in areas without a bid, ie: Adelaide, or New Zealand.

Also. Reds have a NSW Cup side, and along with a couple of NRL players that are from WA, imports will be kept to a minimum.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Well then, will Bris2 accept a relocation?
It's one thing to accept a relocation. But realistically which teams would choose to relocate? The 3 weakest Sydney teams are Manly, Cronulla and Penrith. Do you see any of them volunteering to move?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
It's one thing to accept a relocation. But realistically which teams would choose to relocate? The 3 weakest Sydney teams are Manly, Cronulla and Penrith. Do you see any of them volunteering to move?

As has been suggested: Brisbane Bullsharks, Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles and no-one wants Penriff.

Can't wait to see Perth have all their imported players from QLD, NSW, and NZ. That would be two teams being dependant on importing players where as the CC Bears and the QLD teams can rely on their juniors.

What complete rubbish.

There has been a number of first grade footballers in recent years from WA.

AuDragon

Juniors
Because I'm passionate about a team that's been around for 103 years and my family has followed for most of that time? Walk a day in my shoes as a Bears fan and you'll understand why we're pissed off at the game and see this expansion period as the NRL's last chance to correct the errors of the past.
This is one thing I can totally understand, but it's also why you can't see the trees through the forest. You talk yourselves up and ignore or brush away anything that might be a weakness to the Bears bid. You all know the TV ratings will make or break a bid, but hey, it's just one of many criteria, right?

I think the Bears deserve their place in the NRL, and it was a mistake they were rubbed out in the first place, but I also believe they will have to wait until one of the NSW based teams folds or relocates.

bobmar28

Bench
Because I'm passionate about a team that's been around for 103 years and my family has followed for most of that time? Walk a day in my shoes as a Bears fan and you'll understand why we're pissed off at the game and see this expansion period as the NRL's last chance to correct the errors of the past.

Look, I agree with you that the western corridor is a better option than Bris2, and that the Broncos should eventually be surrounded by 3 satellite sides - Titans, west corridor, sunshine coast (in +- 15 years).

We just differ on the criteria of entry - you and others says its all TV ratings, others like me say that's just one of half a dozen + criteria (albeit an important one).

I agree with that. Western corridor should be now though not in 15 years. I don't see how 2 Brisbanes would work.

Last edited:

Bro Bear

Juniors
Perth relocation won't work for the same reason a Central Coast relocation won't work. The WA Reds identity is firmly established over there and is a solid base to start from in regards to an NRL team. Relocation should be occuring in areas without a bid, ie: Adelaide, or New Zealand.

Also. Reds have a NSW Cup side, and along with a couple of NRL players that are from WA, imports will be kept to a minimum.

Sorry mate, WA Reds are not in the 2011 NSW Cup comp. They were in the Jim Beam comp last year or the year before. My point is that WA and Melbourne will rely on importing players to the NRL standard. Not many players from VIC or WA have played at the NRL. ARL or NSWRL standard. However, for the future of the game I hope they can one day rely on their own juniors.

Which players from WA that have played juniors for a number of years there are currently in the NRL?

BDGS

Bench
Sorry mate, WA Reds are not in the 2011 NSW Cup comp. They were in the Jim Beam comp last year or the year before. My point is that WA and Melbourne will rely on importing players to the NRL standard. Not many players from VIC or WA have played at the NRL. ARL or NSWRL standard. However, for the future of the game I hope they can one day rely on their own juniors.

Which players from WA that have played juniors for a number of years there are currently in the NRL?

NRL and ESL players from WA:

Bryson Goodwin
Bronx Goodwin
Cory Paterson
Jon Green
Daniel Holdsworth
Matt Petersen
Lee Te Maari

Sydney Roosters have signed former WA Reds star Curtis Rona for their 20s team.
http://www.sydneyroosters.com.au/de...&id=3836&player=Curtis-Rona&team=Roosters-NYC

The potential that WA have for juniors is massive, if they get a team and regular exposure to Rugby League.

Even if you look through the Melbourne Storm Squads you will see many victorians. There a few a NYC and lots in the SG Ball.

Mahe Fonua has been on stand by for the Storm a few times this year and is on the verge of making his NRL debut.

Paul J

Juniors
There are only three things, they say, that are important in real estate: location, location and location. There is an easy translation as to what is important to modern day rugby league: broadcast rights, broadcast rights and broadcast rights.

The inaugural businessmen and women of the ARL Commission will be very busy with increasing crowd figures and memberships and fixing out dated scheduling. However, these are not issues as immediately pertinent to the game as a $1 billion payday.

I think it is as safe as a 2011 St George Illawarra minor premiership to suggest that NRL expansion will only occur if it will increase revenue for the next broadcast deal of 2013-2017.

There are only four viable options left in this round of expansion as I see it: Central Coast Bears, Perth, Central Queensland and Brisbane II.

Forget about memberships, Facebook numbers and righting the wrongs of the past on this issue. Here is the ad revenue that the free-to-air networks generated from January to June 2010:

Brisbane: $235,370,035.
Perth: $145,669,616.
Regional NSW: $187,020,165.
Regional Queensland: $102,813,645.

The Central Coast population of 300,000 makes up approx 10 per cent of the regional NSW population of three million, and the Central Queensland population of 200,000 makes up approx eight per cent of the regional Queensland population of 2.5 million.

I don’t know exactly how much the Central Coast and Central Queensland markets contributed to the regional NSW and regional Queensland figures above, but a basic calculation using the relevant populations gives you the following:

Central Coast: $18,702,016.
Central Queensland: $8,225,091.

While there are other factors to be considered such as the Central Coast Bears potential to re-engage with lost North Sydney Bears fans from Sydney, the numbers stack up so heavily in favour of Brisbane II and Perth, it would be easy to wonder why there is a debate over NRL expansion at all.

Nine allocates more Friday night games to the Broncos than any other NRL team, except perhaps the Dragons, clearly stating the importance of the Brisbane market to broadcasters. Brisbane II will give the ARL Commission the ability to schedule a Brisbane team to be on free-to-air every round of the premiership, a huge bonus in broadcast negotiations with the networks.

Perth is of course AFL heartland, but sources within the media industry have stated that the networks are willing to pay more if a sport can sell them the illusion of a national competition, which is exactly why the AFL are going ahead with GWS despite next to no AFL support in Western Sydney.

Perth, with its advantageous time zones, also helps the NRL grow the game and increase market share, with this western expansion being bankrolled by the new broadcast deal.

I predict a bumper NRL broadcast deal to begin in 2013 with a staged entry of Brisbane II and Perth shortly thereafter.

Our hearts may go out to the supporters of the other expansion bids, but to find the blueprint for the NRL’s next expansion phase, I’m afraid, it’s all in the numbers.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
There are only three things, they say, that are important in real estate: location, location and location. There is an easy translation as to what is important to modern day rugby league: broadcast rights, broadcast rights and broadcast rights.

The inaugural businessmen and women of the ARL Commission will be very busy with increasing crowd figures and memberships and fixing out dated scheduling. However, these are not issues as immediately pertinent to the game as a $1 billion payday.

I think it is as safe as a 2011 St George Illawarra minor premiership to suggest that NRL expansion will only occur if it will increase revenue for the next broadcast deal of 2013-2017.

There are only four viable options left in this round of expansion as I see it: Central Coast Bears, Perth, Central Queensland and Brisbane II.

Forget about memberships, Facebook numbers and righting the wrongs of the past on this issue. Here is the ad revenue that the free-to-air networks generated from January to June 2010:

The Central Coast population of 300,000 makes up approx 10 per cent of the regional NSW population of three million, and the Central Queensland population of 200,000 makes up approx eight per cent of the regional Queensland population of 2.5 million.

I don’t know exactly how much the Central Coast and Central Queensland markets contributed to the regional NSW and regional Queensland figures above, but a basic calculation using the relevant populations gives you the following:

While there are other factors to be considered such as the Central Coast Bears potential to re-engage with lost North Sydney Bears fans from Sydney, the numbers stack up so heavily in favour of Brisbane II and Perth, it would be easy to wonder why there is a debate over NRL expansion at all.

Nine allocates more Friday night games to the Broncos than any other NRL team, except perhaps the Dragons, clearly stating the importance of the Brisbane market to broadcasters. Brisbane II will give the ARL Commission the ability to schedule a Brisbane team to be on free-to-air every round of the premiership, a huge bonus in broadcast negotiations with the networks.

Perth is of course AFL heartland, but sources within the media industry have stated that the networks are willing to pay more if a sport can sell them the illusion of a national competition, which is exactly why the AFL are going ahead with GWS despite next to no AFL support in Western Sydney.

Perth, with its advantageous time zones, also helps the NRL grow the game and increase market share, with this western expansion being bankrolled by the new broadcast deal.

I predict a bumper NRL broadcast deal to begin in 2013 with a staged entry of Brisbane II and Perth shortly thereafter.

Our hearts may go out to the supporters of the other expansion bids, but to find the blueprint for the NRL’s next expansion phase, I’m afraid, it’s all in the numbers.

That paints a pretty clear picture. And no doubt expansion will be based on hard nosed business decisions which make Perth a certainty and a south east queensland team highly likely at some point.

But the CC Bears bid would have one complaint about the figures, they would want sydney figures included in that revenue figure since the core part of their bid is reconnecting with North Sydney.

Although one thing against the BNEII bid at the moment is the trends in crowds and memberships in SEQ. Broncos can post some stinker crowds for the size of the city that they dominate in the media. Plus the Titans crowds have decreased every year bar 1 since their inception.

applesauce

Bench
That paints a pretty clear picture. And no doubt expansion will be based on hard nosed business decisions which make Perth a certainty and a south east queensland team highly likely at some point.

But the CC Bears bid would have one complaint about the figures, they would want sydney figures included in that revenue figure since the core part of their bid is reconnecting with North Sydney.

Although one thing against the BNEII bid at the moment is the trends in crowds and memberships in SEQ. Broncos can post some stinker crowds for the size of the city that they dominate in the media. Plus the Titans crowds have decreased every year bar 1 since their inception.

Whether they did or not is beside the point. There are 9 teams making up the Sydney advertising revenue each week, so 4.5games.

There are a myriad of games for the networks to engage the Sydney market through each week. There is only 1 Brisbane team to do this currently, hence the 15 FNF matches the Broncos have had this year after only 22 rounds.

Goddo

Bench
Any arguement that Central Coast should be pushed up as part of Sydney is negated by the 9 teams already in that market. It gets complicated trying to refine the Bears TV value.

Their regional advertising probably wouldn't be worth as much as the simple 10% figure of $18m. Is regional TV on the Central Coast would be Newcastle-centric (NBN), just as WIN is Canberra/Wollongong centric? I know it is Newcastle centric as far north as Coffs Harbour (beyond say Grafton it becomes more Gold Coast centric)

And their value in Sydney would be something like (1/10)*(number of free to air games featuring Sydney teams) of the free to air advertising. So no more than say $50m at best (but they get that extra $30m by diluting the market for other teams)

The Brisbane value should be halved, as it would be shared with the Broncos. So on raw advertising market share it would be better to say:

Perth Reds - $145,669,616 - big market, but how much Audience would we crack? Either way, there is the big bonus of OzTam capital ratings (important for advertisers) and extra braodcast timeslot

Brisbane II - $117,685,018 - clearly lots of advertising revenue for two sides. The Broncos simply can't capture all of the market, particularily if there are multipule companies in the same industry. Eg they are sponsored by NRMA, who does insurers like Suncorp/ING/AAMI sponsor in Brisbane metro? Alcohol companies? Car companies?

Central Coast/ 1/10 Sydney ~ $50,000,000 (but reducing the value across the 9 current Sydney sides, a big no-no, so say somewhere between $18-50m) They may try to use North Sydney to get big sponsor backing, but companies will value brands that are in Sydney and have high exposure, like Dragons/Bulldogs/Parra/Roosters.

Central Queensland - $8,225,091 - no hope, even with big backing from QR National.

NRLMad

Juniors
Guys; NZ II could be also in the mix. I know Sky pay us $8m a year just for the tv rights.. With 2 teams this could easily be $10m bottom line per team .. We also get the added advantage of a team playing in NZ weekly + a North-South SOO style feel. This could easily blow aside options 3 & 4. I do agree that there is a need for Perth/Bris2 (this would shore up another 2 key mkts). Next expansion should be CC + Wellington.

Swamp

Juniors

Spot on mate!

flippikat

Bench
Guys; NZ II could be also in the mix. I know Sky pay us $8m a year just for the tv rights.. With 2 teams this could easily be $10m bottom line per team .. We also get the added advantage of a team playing in NZ weekly + a North-South SOO style feel. This could easily blow aside options 3 & 4. I do agree that there is a need for Perth/Bris2 (this would shore up another 2 key mkts). Next expansion should be CC + Wellington.

Scheduling makes this tough - remember that Mount Smart isn't home for a Super Rugby team (Feb-June) or an NPC Rugby team (July-October), so the Warriors pretty-much get the run of the venue.

In Wellington, you'd have to do some horse-trading with the stadium trust.. and work within the limits that it has for night events - not impossible but it ain't easy.

The last I heard about a Wellington bid involved constructing some alternate stadium in Wellington - not something you could do in time for the next expansion round.

Beowulf

Juniors

One slight factor ignored in this article - ratings the Bears will attract due to them being a Foudnation Club with multi-generational supporters based not just in North Sydney/Central Coast, but across NSW and a large fan base in QLD & NZ. An advantage no other bid has.

Add to that the support of fans across all teams who had the Bears as a sentimental 2nd fav team and who were upset they were kicked out (ie 90% of RL fans) and we have a team all will watch.

Can't say that about any other bid contender, but I'm sure some will try! :D

Latest posts