What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Goddo

Bench
I don't think this has been posted, so I'll throw it up. ABC Radio Grandstand interview with Craig Davidson, head of the Brisbane II bid.

5 June 2011
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/rugbyleague/audio/?page=3

Main points made:

1. Still looking at 3 locations for basing the club (presumedly the same 3 they anounced Davis Park (South Brisbane), Dolphin Oval (Redcliffe) and two locations in Redlands), will play all games at Suncorp.

2. Team name, logo colours and branding will be anounced on Monday 18 July (12 days after Origin III, the Monday after the Broncos vs Titans match). Mentioned that it will definately be Brisbane "Somethings" and has reduced the short list 15 names down to 3. (I'd be betting they anounce their sponsors too)

3. Talked about population coverage and sustainability. Mentioned that Newcastle-Sydney had 3.4m people and 9 teams (he thought the Central Coast should have a team but that it be a current Sydney licence) that Ipswich-Logan only had 200k (didn't go near the population growth in that area though).

4. Talked up the Crushers, saying they averaged 21k attendence in first year and made $13m from sponsorship before being destroyed by Super League.

5. However, this bid will not be Crushers Mk II. Went on to talk about how a wealthy stable second Brisbane side will have huge flow on benefits to junior rugby league in Queensland.

6. Sees Perth as run away certainties for 1 of the expansion licences. Doesn't rate Central Queensland or PNG at all. Thinks they have Ipswich and Central Coast covered.
(I wouldn't go as far as that, I think its Perth, and a 3 way fight for the second spot)

Very interesting point:

7. Talked about how he saw the future distribution of clubs across South East Queensland. He believes that:

* Broncos - city, a little of south Brisbane and all of the North-West.
* Titans - Gold Coast up as far as South Logan.
* Brisbane II - he sees it taking in Redlands, North Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast, with a strong feeder club relationship with the Sunshine Coast

(interesting how an Ipswich-Logan club would also fit perfectly into his model. Also sounds like this bid is leaning towards basing itself at Redcliffe rather than South Brisbane or Redlands)
------------------------------------
Seems to me like this bid is shaping as North Brisbane-Sunshine Coast, but playing at Suncorp. Looks like they will have a strong relationship with Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles and Redcliffe Dolphins.

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
They have held their cards close, but it seems they are starting to offer some details. The 15 below have been reduced to 3, and its definately Brisbane not South Qld or Rivercity:

Brisbane Barracudas
Brisbane Bayliners
Brisbane Bobcats
Brisbane Bombers
Brisbane Braves
Brisbane Brewers
Brisbane Buccaneers
Brisbane Cyclones
Brisbane Dolphins
Brisbane Heat
Brisbane Kookaburras
Brisbane Spartans
Brisbane Stingrays
Brisbane Rogues
Brisbane Taipans

If I were to take a bet, I'd say Dolphins is on the list of 3 names, as well as 2 of the alliteration names.

Quidgybo

Bench
If that the case they should be called Sunshine Coast not Brisbane
Why would they call it Sunshine Coast (or Ipswich for that matter) if they play all their matches at Suncorp? If its playing base is at Suncorp then it is a second Brisbane team and there's really no point pretending it's not.

Sure, call it South Queensland or something else that encompasses both Suncorp and a wider area but don't bother trying to deny or hide the fact it is a Suncorp based team. That can only damage the team's ability to market itself to those most easily able to get to the stadium to support it.

The Sunshine Coast will probably host a team in its own right one day (playing out of a boutique stadium like Skilled or Bluetongue). Whether that comes before another Suncorp based side or as the 5th or 6th Queensland team only time will tell. And whether it is as a new franchise or a relocated one looking for a better deal is equally in the tea leaves.

Leigh

BDGS

Bench
Why would they call it Sunshine Coast (or Ipswich for that matter) if they play all their matches at Suncorp? If its playing base is at Suncorp then it is a second Brisbane team and there's really no point pretending it's not.

Because that is not correct, the bid team has stated (on the recording on Goddo's link) that they will play out Suncorp but their "home ground" (a term Craig Davidson used) is yet to be decided and could be located in North Brisbane or higher.

Goddo

Bench
It looks like the Queensland bids have divided along QRL cup team lines. QRL Cup affiliation might end up looking like:

North Queensland Cowboys (unlikely to change):
Mackay Cutters, Northern Pride (Cairns)

Gold Coast Titans (Ipswich are currently a feeder, but they want their own licence):
Burleigh Bears, Tweed Heads Seagulls

Brisbane Broncos (Redcliffe will be going to Brisbane II):
Wynnum Manly Seagulls, Central Commets (Rockhampton), Norths Devils

Ipswich-Logan (Western Corridor) "Jets":
Ipswich Jets, Souths Logan Magpies (Canberra's feeder team, who need a new deal)

Brisbane (II) "Dolphins":
Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles (Manly's old feeder team), Redcliffe Dolphins (currently in Broncos stable, but itching for their own team)

I don't know whats doing with Easts Tigers, who are(?) Melbourne affiliated. They were rumored to be putting an NRL bid together with Wynnum Manly, but haven't heard anything since. Maybe Easts might end up under the Broncos or Bris II banner?

Quidgybo

Bench
Because that is not correct, the bid team has stated (on the recording on Goddo's link) that they will play out Suncorp but their "home ground" (a term Craig Davidson used) is yet to be decided and could be located in North Brisbane or higher.
Semantics. They can call "home" whatever they want but if they play all their NRL premiership matches out of Suncorp then they are the second Brisbane team. And they'll maximize their crowds and gate takings by appealing to as many people as possible with proximity to attend matches at Suncorp, north, south, east and west.

Leigh

Goddo

Bench
Guessing the outcome:

Name: Brisbane Dolphins
Colours: ? Guessing blue and something.

Stadium: Suncorp Stadium - trials and maybe 1-2 low drawing NRL games at Quad Park (12k), Sunshine Coast, or at Dolphin Oval (15k), Redcliffe - suburban NRL in Brisbane ?!?!?

Training base: Dolphin Oval (15k), Redcliffe

QRL Cup affiliated sides: Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles, Redcliffe Dolphins, (doubt Norths Devils would join up, they hate Redcliffe and are strongly in the Broncos camp)

mongoose

Coach
I think Brisbane 2 will get the license over any suburban name such as Ipswich, Redlcliffe etc. Professional sports teams today are a brand. Affiliating a team to a limited geographical area is just going to make it harder to maximise fans, sponsorship and revenue.

Latest posts