What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

docbrown

Coach
the fact that its already registered with asic means its set in stone, who the f chose this

deaf_dumb_blind.jpg

MSIH

Bench
brisbane bombers??

lame, lame, lame , lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame
lame, lame, lame , lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame
lame, lame, lame , lame, lame, lame, lame........................lame

the fact that its already registered with asic means its set in stone, who the f chose this

:lol:

Jason Maher

Immortal
How many of you bitching about the name intend on supporting this mob if they get in? It's nowhere near as lame as "Storm".

Canard

Immortal
The Storm is one of the best ones for mine.

Typfies Melbourne (variable weather) and is unique enough to have an impact on a AFL market.

Tradition aside you could argue that St George Ill Dragons is pretty silly, I mean the Saint who slayed Dragons. Its a bit like the David Goliaths.

Face it just like that Bon Jovi song they used this season for the NRL, despite some people trying to push it as "good" this is ill-judged and crap.

Mortar

Juniors
Hopefully the Bummers isn't going to be the name for the team and it's all just a PR stunt.

Found this post on their facebook discussion page...

South QLD Gryphons: “GO GRRRRRRR-YPHONS”. A gryphon is a legendary creature with the body and tail of a lion (Brisbane Aussie Rules team), the head, beak, wings and claws of an eagle (Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles feeder club) and horns on his head.

Their favourite meal is HORSE (Brisbane Broncos) which is perfect for the local rivalry. They will be wearing Royal Blue, Silver and Maroon in a traditional hoop pattern kit. It’s a very original and unique name that represents Brisbane through its coat of arms. This mascot has more meaning and history to it than the other more American suggestions. The club logo will incorporate the Brisbane crest in the centre and a gryphon on each side of a SQRLFC shield. At the bottom it will say SQ GRYPHONS. The use of a coat of arms will make it similar to the Wigan Warriors unique logo. As the lion was traditionally considered the KING of the beasts and the eagle was the KING of the birds this makes the gryphon a powerful and majestic KING of the creatures (Brisbane’s Wally Lewis is THE KING). Gryphons are known for guarding treasure and priceless possessions (this new club will become one of the richest NRL clubs).

In heraldry (the study of coat of arms), the gryphon symbolises courage, boldness, strength, leadership and intelligence. When referring to them in The Life of Apollonius of Tyana, Flavius Philostratus said they were superior to dragons, tigers and elephants. In the Britain, a male griffin can be shown without wings, its body covered in tufts of formidable spikes. Some traditions say that only the females have wings. (The logo and mascots can include both a male and female gryphon to satisfy both genders of the fan base).

It is also the name of one of the oldest debating institutions in England (where the rugby codes originate and debating is a constant in sport). In 1933, when announcing the naming of the mascot, Canisius College president, the Very Reverend Rudolph J. Eichhorn, S.J., said: “[It] should display at all times loyalty and courage in the face of any odds; [it] should be superior, in the good sense, to the commonplace; and like the gryphons who kept watch over the material treasures of gold and precious stones, so should [it] guard the intellectual, spiritual and moral treasure which [it has] been given into his keep.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffin Colours: Royal Blue (relates to the gryphon being a king, it’s not used in the NRL, it was Valleys Diehards main colour and is similar to the dark blue used by the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles). Silver (represents the rich “Silvertails” and is opposite to the Broncos’ gold. The value of Silver relies on quantity over quality and a Russian general once said “quantity is a quality of its own”) and Maroon (QLD state colour)

How the hell did they not choose this option?

Goddo

Bench
St George were the "Dragonslayers" originally, people just got lazy and they became the Dragons. Not so silly.

Anyone know much about the Albion park development? that is one aspect that sounds like a real winner.

All I could find was this on the NRL website

The inner-city trotting and greyhound complex, Albion Park, a virtual ghost track these days, is rumoured as the Bombers' likely home base.
Trotting and greyhound racing is relocating to a redeveloped $50 million multi-purpose track at Deagon on Brisbane's northside.
With plans for state-of-the-art training fields, a community club, pool, gymnasium and administration offices, their set-up would rival any in the NRL.

Edit: there was also this

Bid directors Davison, Nick Livermore and Bill Rae, who have dedicated thousands of hours to putting together their detailed expansion proposal, have letters of intent from about 20 players and a shortlist of coaching candidates and potential chief executives.
Looks like the core of the squad is sorted. They just need to have another go at the branding.

Last edited:

Red Bear

Referee
Meh, there has been Magpies, Tigers, Bulldogs, Bears across the two codes, shouldnt really be an issue.

Not a great name though

docbrown

Coach
How the hell did they not choose this option?

Well when Applesauce first suggested it I thought it was a winner.

140.jpg

And even if Griffins were too surreal for people, Queensland Kings would've filled the requirements - alliteration and location tied nickname. A crowned griffin - king of beasts & birds - could've been a 100% original mascot in Australia.

NrlCoach

Juniors
Shit name but Good Media/PR stunt! They would of never got this much media Attention if they picked those other names mentioned in this thread. Imagine the media coverage they will get when they play the storms in Melbourne

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not the worse of the bunch but Gryphons or dolphins would have been my preference. Colours are a bit Florida ish but again unique to the NRL so I guess ok. The stuff about the development of the infrastructure is far more important and looks like they have been building behind the scenes.

lol that the website has crashed!

ps you can't copyright a sports team name outside of the code, only the name for use in that competition/code, logo and colours/pattern. When Bradford became the Bulls they had a stand off with Chicago but it was over the logo not the name. Essendon can not stop an NRL team calling themselves the Bombers anymore than Queensland RU can stop a WA NRL team calling themselves the Reds.

Foz

Bench
Interesting choice of a nickname.(a poor one in my book)
I always associated the bombers with the Yankees as in Bronx Bombers. Also Johnny Peard and Racquel Welch for 2 different reasons..Forgot about Essendon Aussie Rules but they would be the most well known in Australia Id reckon.Theres a heap of country Aussie Rules Clubs too I think.

Dont think it matters what nickname you use there'll always be another team with the same one and if somebody thinks they own the nickname they are kidding themselves.

What association a bomber has with Brisbane I have no idea.