What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
ps you can't copyright a sports team name outside of the code, only the name for use in that competition/code, logo and colours/pattern. When Bradford became the Bulls they had a stand off with Chicago but it was over the logo not the name. Essendon can not stop an NRL team calling themselves the Bombers anymore than Queensland RU can stop a WA NRL team calling themselves the Reds.

The Townsville Suns got a bit of niggle from the Phoenix Suns about changing their name before they became the Crocodiles. Phoenix owned the trademark for Suns in Australia and would have had to pay them royalties if they kept using it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Townsville Suns got a bit of niggle from the Phoenix Suns about changing their name before they became the Crocodiles. Phoenix owned the trademark for Suns in Australia and would have had to pay them royalties if they kept using it.

same code. It has to do with the brand and its customer base, hence why using a brand for essentially the same product is a no, no but it is very hard to trademark across all sport (in fact you can't except for logo and specific colour combinations)

BDGS

Bench
Not the worse of the bunch but Gryphons or dolphins would have been my preference. Colours are a bit Florida ish but again unique to the NRL so I guess ok. The stuff about the development of the infrastructure is far more important and looks like they have been building behind the scenes.

lol that the website has crashed!

ps you can't copyright a sports team name outside of the code, only the name for use in that competition/code, logo and colours/pattern. When Bradford became the Bulls they had a stand off with Chicago but it was over the logo not the name. Essendon can not stop an NRL team calling themselves the Bombers anymore than Queensland RU can stop a WA NRL team calling themselves the Reds.

Why not?

I thought the AFL and its clubs could do whatever it wants to lol

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'd prefer this logo:
images

Meh, there has been Magpies, Tigers, Bulldogs, Bears across the two codes, shouldnt really be an issue.

Not a great name though
as compared to the Bears......named after a shopping centre

IMO The Bombers is a Great Name, the colours are going to look great together......and the Promo Video is f**ken Awesome

GongPanther

Referee
League Bombers ready for take off

Wayne Heming, AAP July 14, 2011, 1:05 pm
They're not off the ground yet but Brisbane's potential second NRL team have officially confirmed they'll play as the Brisbane Bombers.

The announcement was revealed under a white marquee at Albion Park Raceway where the Bombers hope to make their home base with a community club, training fields, gymnasium and administration headquarters, if accepted into the NRL.
Former Origin hero Billy Moore - the player who gave birth to the famous "Queenslander" call joined directors Craig Davison, Nicholas Livermore and Bill Rae in unveiling the brand on Thursday morning.
The trio said they weren't concerned about being dragged into a possible fight with AFL powerbrokers such as Collingwood boss Eddie McGuire or the proud Essendon club which believed the Bombers brand was their property after 16 premiership titles.
Essendon is reportedly seeking legal advice as to whether the Brisbane group have crossed the line with their choice of brand name.
"We haven't heard that .... just tell Eddie to give us a call," joked Davison.
Livermore however said the group had done its due diligence and processes carefully but understood the choice of name may not please everyone.
"We've covered everything and we're delighted with what we're announcing today," he said.
"There's no less than five cross-overs between our rival code and rugby league with brands.
"I can understand it might raise a few eye brows but this is rugby league and we want Brisbane to be rugby league dominated with State of Origin, Test matches and NRL games.
"This is a rugby league town and as Craig (Davison) suggested there's only 13 games a year hear.
"We're meant to be the rugby league capital of the world and we've got one team."
The bid launched their brand with a 30 second video clip with an air raid siren sounding as the dark shadows of bomber planes reflected off a packed Suncorp Stadium.
The clip finishes with its Bombers logo and the words "Buckle Up" as the background explodes into a fiery orange inferno.
The franchise still has to be approved by the NRL.http://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/news/article/-/9840625/league-bombers-ready-for-take-off/

Most NRL fans will adopt the name for this mirage as The Brisbane Bummers.

Rather see Western Australia or South Australia get the nod over another whining Qld side.

Wato

Juniors
Reds and Bombers sounds good to me for 2013 or 2015. I know people will say Brisbane already has one team but if the sides never clashed on the same weekend bar playing each other then that would ensure one game in Brisbane each weekend. Brisbane pack out home games regularly so I see no reason why having a game of league in Brisbane every week would be a bad thing.

aarondoyle

Juniors
Change the name and I might agree. I'd rather the Jets, they've mentioned Western brisbane many times so that ticks the box in ways Albion Park does not.

aarondoyle

Juniors
Still hate the name, and being based at Albion Park is like being based at Red Hill. Inner city, northsde of the river.

The NRL has mentioned Western Brisbane as a future expansion option before not another Brisbane.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I guess it will come down to what credible bids are on the table. Western Corridor bid has been very very quiet of late.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Given that i haven't been following this bid very much, where exactly is the targeted fan base coming from?

I know there was supposed to be a proposed Ipswich based bid team, which made sense; but that was hijakced by this 2nd Brisbane team.

So where exactly are the fans going to come from - what are the target areas?