What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

applesauce

Bench
The current bid logo has sky blue in it, with the QLD origin maroon, not the Broncos maroon. So the best image I can think of is the 2008 centenary of League jersey from back in the day.

smithie

Juniors
There is no way the Brisbane II & Ipswich bids will merge. The main push for an Ipswich team is coming from Paul Pisasale, the mayor of Ipswich.

BunniesMan

Immortal
How would you even go about merging 2 bids when one is a member owned model and one is private owned...

Smiley

Bench
http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/bid-team-wants-a-piece-of-history/story-fn6ck6f9-1225999828768

Bid team wants a piece of history

IT IS the famous old ground that has hosted some of Queensland's greatest rugby league names.

Now Davies Park has emerged as the likely proposed headquarters for the high-powered NRL consortium bidding to become Brisbane's second team.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the long-time base of the Souths-Logan Magpies is one of several sites being investigated by the Brisbane consortium as part of its due diligence into becoming Queensland's fourth NRL team.

Bid member Craig Davison confirmed Davies Park, in the Brisbane suburb of West End, had been shortlisted.

"We are looking at a number of sites on the southside and Davies Park is one of them," he said.

"We are doing our due diligence but until the NRL announces its plans on expansion, we can't make a firm decision on too many things."

It is not known if the Brisbane bid team will look to establish an alliance with the Magpies, who have a feeder-club arrangement with NRL side the Canberra Raiders.

The bid team will step up its campaign on Monday, when Davison flies to Sydney for informal talks with NRL chief executive David Gallop.

"The meeting was organised some weeks ago. It is a case of 'This is who we are', our background," Davison said.

"We hope to get a little bit more direction as to where the NRL is coming from with regards to the new team announcement.

"There has been no team announcement yet. We are all doing this work at a cost and we could be told, 'There's no more teams coming guys'.

"We want to highlight the fact that as a bid, we are very serious. The meeting will be a general meet and greet."

It is believed the Brisbane consortium would run its administrative arm out of the Souths-Logan clubhouse overlooking the ground. There are plans for a multimillion-dollar property development next to the venue, although developers could face issues regarding heritage and zoning laws.

Davies Park has showcased some of the code's finest talent. The 1985 premiership-winning Souths team featured current Queensland Origin coach Mal Meninga and former Test fullback Gary Belcher and was coached by Wayne Bennett.

Queensland Origin trio Bob Lindner, Peter Jackson and Bruce Astill are others to have graced Davies Park.

Since Canberra will be forced to leave Souths, the bid should just buy the club and rehash them as the South Brisbane Magpies.

I'm sure many would be against the nickname just like Ipswich using the Jets name.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I would prefer to see the 2nd Brisbane side be affiliated with an existing local club.

THis is the model that the AFL adopted in Adelaide when Port Adelaide become their second AFL team....

Noa

First Grade
.....and it has severly limited there supporter appeal. In the real world PA would have been taken out the back and shot.

Smiley

Bench
I would prefer to see the 2nd Brisbane side be affiliated with an existing local club.

THis is the model that the AFL adopted in Adelaide when Port Adelaide become their second AFL team....

I wouldn't care but I'm not old enough to remember the heights of BRL and the rivalry between the clubs. I suppose your right with current and past fans of say Easts Tigers and Wynnum Seagulls probably not wanting to support the Magpies in an expanded NRL.

meltiger

First Grade

The PA model is a failure.

Fremantle is a better example, based in a heartland district but not affiliated toany of the old clubs.

PaulyTom

Juniors
The 2nd Brisbane bid may have more to add then the Ipswich bid. Especially if the Ipswich bid plans to play their games at Suncorp anyway.

dgsfan

Juniors
Well I thought their plan was to play out of Suncorp until a stadium was built in Ipswich.

Perth Red

Post Whore
will be a very long time before the Q'land govt has a spare $200mill to build a stadium in Ipswich, Rockhampton or anywhere else me thinks

Desert Qlder

First Grade
will be a very long time before the Q'land govt has a spare $200mill to build a stadium in Ipswich, Rockhampton or anywhere else me thinks

This is one of the more definitive points that should scuttle any thought of an Ipswich based team. If the team was forced to play out of Suncorp anyway why the hell would you limit the reach of a second SEQ side by calling them 'Ipswich'.

Any Qld Government would be completely justified in refusing to fund an Ipswich stadium and for this reason the bid is pointless.

dgsfan

Juniors
Which is fine. I'd rather a new SEQLD team play out of Suncorp. Best RL stadium in the country.

dgsfan

Juniors
Well I've been to Skilled, Suncorp, ANZ, SFS, Aami, Canberra, SFS, Penrith, CTown, Kograh, Parra and it's been far and away the best.

BDGS

Bench
Well I've been to Skilled, Suncorp, ANZ, SFS, Aami, Canberra, SFS, Penrith, CTown, Kograh, Parra and it's been far and away the best.

I personally prefer stadiums that are over 70k when full and don't require a plane rid to get to.

Highway1

Juniors
Considering that Brisbane second division leagues play their finals football there, I'm not so sure if the QRL will respond well to the takeover of Davies park, in West End.