What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters
Brisbane Blue Jays,
Brisbane Blue Bottles,
Brisbane Blue Tongues,
Brisbane Bucks,
Brisbane Brumbies,
Brisbane Bisons,
Brisbane Buzzards,
Brisbane Bodcats,
Brisbane Buffalos,
Brisbane Bulls,
Brisbane Browns (brown snake)
---
Brisbane Brawlers,
Brisbane Banshees,
Brisbane Brewers,
Brisbane Vipers,
Brisbane Dingoes,
Brisbane Redbacks,
Brisbane Sting (spider, scorpion or stingray),
Brisbane Chargers (rhino),
South Brisbane Scorpions,
South Brisbane Magpies,
South Brisbane Kings,
Brisbane Heat,
Brisbane Rovers,
Brisbane Rams,
Brisbane Wolves,
Brisbane Rhinos,
Brisbane Pride,
Brisbane Dolphins,
Brisbane Beasts,
Brisbane Prime (gorilla)

applesauce

Bench
Brisbane ManBearPigs ?

6a00d8341d4d7c53ef0115707358df970b-800wi

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Brisbane Blue Jays,
Brisbane Blue Bottles,
Brisbane Blue Tongues,
Brisbane Bucks,
Brisbane Brumbies,
Brisbane Bisons,
Brisbane Buzzards,
Brisbane Bodcats,
Brisbane Buffalos,
Brisbane Bulls,
Brisbane Browns (brown snake)
---
Brisbane Brawlers,
Brisbane Banshees,
Brisbane Brewers,
Brisbane Vipers,
Brisbane Dingoes,
Brisbane Redbacks,
Brisbane Sting (spider, scorpion or stingray),
Brisbane Chargers (rhino),
South Brisbane Scorpions,
South Brisbane Magpies,
South Brisbane Kings,
Brisbane Heat,
Brisbane Rovers,
Brisbane Rams,
Brisbane Wolves,
Brisbane Rhinos,
Brisbane Pride,
Brisbane Dolphins,
Brisbane Beasts,
Brisbane Prime (gorilla)

Brisbane Heat would be a decent name for a basketball team, not so much a fooball team though.

Brisbane Wolves is good but there’s already a soccer team called that which might cause a stink. Redbacks is good too but there’s already SA cricket & almost certain to be nicknamed the Rednecks.

Honestly the more options I see the more I like the Diehards or Jets.

BDGS

Bench
Are they allowed to have jets?

Won't Ipswich go off their heads? After having that name for 25 years? etc etc?

Are they allowed to have jets?

Won't Ipswich go off their heads? After having that name for 25 years? etc etc?

And if Ipswich Jets do have a stink over the name, then why can't Newtown? Hence Jets being a bad idea for a Brisbane team.

Diehards is a good name. I didn't name it in the previous list but I've always admired the name. I like Bushrangers too.

hellteam

First Grade
I like the colours maroon and blue for the bid.

Although I think the primary colour should be the sky blue. Would differentiate from the Broncos whilst keeping QLD roots.

Saint Doc

Coach
I'm liking Brisbane Devils. Could have a tasmanian devil as the mascot to make it more Aussie. At their first game you could hand out those flashing red devil horns you see at ACDC concerts, would be a cool way to hook the kids in early. I think the key is a name that will hold its own vs broncos. If the back pages said : BRONCOS VS DEVILS DERBY that works. Broncos vs stingrays derby, broncos vs dingos derby etc don't work as well.

Kings is very established with Sydney basketball.

Saint Doc

Coach
Hobart_Devils.jpg

Old Hobart NBL logo.

Also read on wiki their home stadium was nicknamed the devil's den....plenty of marketing opportunities with the nickname I reckon

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
BunniesMan has decided. Brisbane Bulls wins. We have bulls in this country so the anti-americans can't say it's "too americanised". As for the Queensland Bulls cricket team, f**k them, they wouldn't even have 10% name recognition. The name rolls of the tongue, it's marketable, end of story.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
And if Ipswich Jets do have a stink over the name, then why can't Newtown? Hence Jets being a bad idea for a Brisbane team.

Diehards is a good name. I didn't name it in the previous list but I've always admired the name. I like Bushrangers too.

Jets for the Ipswich bid, Diehards for this one.

People seem to be writing off the Ipswich bid too quickly imo.

Saint Doc

Coach
BunniesMan has decided. Brisbane Bulls wins. We have bulls in this country so the anti-americans can't say it's "too americanised". As for the Queensland Bulls cricket team, f**k them, they wouldn't even have 10% name recognition. The name rolls of the tongue, it's marketable, end of story.

I think the issue would be legal...trademarks, copyrights etc.

Imagine if the AFL went with GWS Panthers. You're just not allowed to copy the nickname of a team from a rival sport in the same city!

applesauce

Bench
Devils has plenty of marketability.

I can imagine a hostile crowd for a Broncos v Devils derby with the Devils fans bay with signs with "Welcome to Hell" etc throughout.

Not sure how Norths would take it though. (Could be Redcliffe vs Gold Coast Bid issue)

BunniesMan

Immortal
I think the issue would be legal...trademarks, copyrights etc.

Imagine if the AFL went with GWS Panthers. You're just not allowed to copy the nickname of a team from a rival sport in the same city!
You're not allowed to pass off your brand as some one else's more established brand. If the bid chose "Brisbane Bulls" it would be ok as long as a normal person could reasonably come to the conclusion that the Brisbane Bulls RLFC is not the same entity as the Queensland Bulls cricket team.

That's why there are teams in different sports with the same mascot, Bulldogs/Tigers etc. A reasonable person can reasonably realise they're not the same mob. Also the fact that the cricket team represents a state and the footy team represents a city helps.

If we can have 2 NSW Blues (same state, same mascot/nickname, same f**king colours) we can have a Queensland Bulls and Brisbane Bulls.

Also, "Bulls" goes well with "Broncos" in terms of rivalry, and Cowboys for that matter too.

Saint Doc

Coach
Fair point. But you also want a positive start with your name, not to be dragged through the courts (even if you will eventually win). The gold coast realised this an immediately backed down from any talk of dolphins...public relations disaster.

Whilst on a much smaller scale in the NBL, when the kings folded, the West Sydney Razorbacks changed their name to Sydney Spirit (which was a disgraceful decision)...and they were threatened with legal action by the WNBL team Bendigo Spirit. Negative publicity did not help!

beave

Coach
I dont like to throw a spanner in the works but the domestic cricket 20/20 comp is not going to be state based it is going to be city based from next year onwards so I'm pretty sure the Qld team will be called the brisbane bulls, i doubt the league team will be called the bulls I'm afraid.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Fair point. But you also want a positive start with your name, not to be dragged through the courts (even if you will eventually win). The gold coast realised this an immediately backed down from any talk of dolphins...public relations disaster.

Whilst on a much smaller scale in the NBL, when the kings folded, the West Sydney Razorbacks changed their name to Sydney Spirit (which was a disgraceful decision)...and they were threatened with legal action by the WNBL team Bendigo Spirit. Negative publicity did not help!

I don't think the QLD Bulls would be bothered sueing, but even if that was a concern I'm guessing things like the mascot/nickname will come down to a public vote and if the "Bulls" are simply one of the options than it would be blatantly obvious to the cricket team that noone is trying to pretend to be them, and if the public did end up choosing it everyone would be satisfied.

Goddo

Bench
I'd like to see a point of distinction with the Broncos in the location part of the name. I don't think the Man City v Man United case would work as well as say a Brisbane Broncos v South Brisbane XXXX.

Just saying I'd like there to be a clear distinction between the two camps, North South, Broncos Bulls (or whatever), Maroon and Yellow v Blue and Maroon.

The best thing in terms of TV money is a second brisbane side in the metro area (Ipswich or Brisbane) and Perth, taking in all WA which will be important when the game has national near live coverage.

If you love Rugby League, say no to the Bears... for now.

Pigskin

Juniors
You're not allowed to pass off your brand as some one else's more established brand. If the bid chose "Brisbane Bulls" it would be ok as long as a normal person could reasonably come to the conclusion that the Brisbane Bulls RLFC is not the same entity as the Queensland Bulls cricket team.

That's why there are teams in different sports with the same mascot, Bulldogs/Tigers etc. A reasonable person can reasonably realise they're not the same mob. Also the fact that the cricket team represents a state and the footy team represents a city helps.

If we can have 2 NSW Blues (same state, same mascot/nickname, same f**king colours) we can have a Queensland Bulls and Brisbane Bulls.

Also, "Bulls" goes well with "Broncos" in terms of rivalry, and Cowboys for that matter too.

Bunniesman, it is clear you are learning impaired ... there is evidence all over this forum ... but I'll spell it out for you

The Bulls are our states cricket team, much loved by all up here. Bulls for a RL team in Brisbane, just isn't gonna happen so forget it.

Which is why a few pages back I suggested the Brisbane Brahman's ... I like it and it has good possibilities marketing wise etc. Only the yellability factor is a query, but perhaps thats just because its new. I think it would stick.

For those with no clue, below is a Brahman Bull.

Oink !

Attachments

• brahman.jpg
    brahman.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts