What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Open

Mong

Post Whore
Norman looking like he did 20 years ago..

Who woulda thought..

Lets hope he keeps it up..

Last edited:

8Ball

First Grade
Right out of left field this one. Playing very solidly. He'd have to be the oldest person ever to win a major wouldn't he?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem for the Shark is that his putting is saving his arse something major at the moment.

He really needs his approach shots to be a sh*tload better.

As much as I'd like to see him win, I don't think his putting will keep saving him.

Mong

Post Whore
The problem for the Shark is that his putting is saving his arse something major at the moment.

As much as I'd like to see him win, I don't think his putting will keep saving him.

You think? he hit a lot of solid shots in round 2, he holed a few at the end sure but asides from the 6 he had earlyish in his round he hit it pretty well.

Engine

Juniors
I don't like the man, but damn he has done well. I hope he it. It would have to be his career highlight if he did.

Mr Opinionated

Juniors
I suppose when they say happiness is a key to success they aren't speaking out of their asses (assuming the Shark is happy in his new marriage)

this is just crazy stuff!

when i was growing up i was a massive Greg Norman fan, I used to stay up and follow him in virtually every major.

Well i thought those days were long gone.

If Norman can hold this lead he will become the oldest major winner in golf history! ( touch wood)

Last edited:

Jimbo

Immortal

Nobody's approach shots are any good, because of the wind

Norman is up by two because he is handling it better

Jimbo

Immortal
i got the shark at 151 to win the open cmon shark

He started the week at 500/1, which seemed about right for someone who 'plays more tennis than golf these days'

The ironic thing about it all is that Norman was beaten at the 1986 Masters by a 46-year-old Jack Nicklaus...

Tom Shines

First Grade
He was 51s after the first round. Should have had a nibble.

All the modern players are used to still conditions and soft greens, where they are able to just flop the ball up in the air and land next to the pin. But in these windy conditions and hard greens, you have to be a lot more inventive. It suits Norman's game to a tee.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Brilliant if he could do this. He was 500/1 at the start and that was a fair price. Same with tennis - next time a tennis grand slam is on you can get guys like Hewitt at 150/1 and former grand slam winners and runner ups at similar prices etc etc.

Id love him to do it, would be one of australias best sporting moments i can remember in a long time if he does. The way this course plays though its just not over til the end. The way these winds are anyone whose within 7 strokes or so can come behind and do this, cause it doesnt take much for the leaders to drop some shots.

Azkatro

First Grade
This just goes to show if you took the technology out of golf, Norman would probably go down as the greatest of all time.

Alex28

Coach
I didn't think he stood a chance after the second round. He had the best of the conditions on Thursday and Friday and was pretty solid. Saturday's round was simply outstanding. The wind was incredible - balls were moving 50 metres across at times. 72 on Saturday in the worst of the conditions was probably better than 65 on Friday (which makes the two 70's shot pretty amazing).

To say Norman's putting has saved his ar*e does not give his game enough credit. His shotmaking has been pretty bloody good. His bunker shot on 16 on Friday was brilliant - the ball was maybe 2-3 feet below his feet. The knock-down 5-iron 130 yards from the rough to 6 foot on Saturday was awesome - that made his round after a few bogeys to start.

But he looks like a different guy to the old Greg. He's smiling way more than he ever did when he was playing all the time. He looks like he's having fun and has no expectations.

I am just so amazed and I can not stress enough at how hard it is out there. I play off 4 and I don't reckon I'd break 100 there in those conditions. The 6th hole looks like a nightmare - Geoff Ogilvy hit Driver, hybrid, 6 iron in to it on Thursday and was still short...

Last edited:

simmo1

First Grade
If he wins, it would be the equivalent of Allan Border coming back into the Australian team.

Unbelievable for a bloke his age to still compete.

Latest posts