What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
Well what a pleasure it is to post the first 3 2 1s thread for the year.

Quite obviously our best round 1 performance in sometime and in the context of the Robbo era I put it equal with 2015 up in Townsville.

Broncos are no joke but I thought we outplayed them across the park and thoroughly deserved the victory. Attack looked a lot better than last season punching holes regularly and consistently asking questions of the Broncos defence. There is definitely still work to do in that area but we played a top tier defence the likes of which we won't see too often in 2024.

Defensively they were sensational and that is the real building block of 2024. The Broncos asked a lot of questions themselves and come up with two good plays for tries which is going to happen against a quality side but all in all we held our line well and made a few desperate try saving tackles.

Being round 1 I will go through the whole team

Teddy - Absolutely fantastic. Played with a clear chip on his shoulder given the ridiculous commentary about him last year. Was probing in attack, positionally perfect in defence and was contesting everything.

Toops/Pauga - Both ran the ball out of our back end with venom eating up the metres. I think the slimmer field didn't help them in attack. Pauga had a couple of moments showing his limitations on the biggest stage but is still a good option when injuries occur

Manu/Sualli'i - Both phenomenal. We got both of them early ball regularly and good things happened. I'm not sure Billy Smith gets back in the starting team now

Keary - His best game for some time. Lead the team around the park beautifully and consistently asked questions in attack at the edges. I thought his best play of the game was after the Leniu incident when the Broncos forwards were fired up, on tackle 3 he though f**k this and kicked the ball deep turning them around. The air went out of the Broncos forwards and an error followed. Excellent game management.

Walker - Thought he was solid. This was one of those low scoring brutal games and he hung in there in defence and looked likely a couple of times. He did do that grubber that went dead when we had momentum BUT it was eyes up footy and that is what we need from him. On this occasion he got it slightly wrong but more of that please.

Leniu/Collins - Both were very good in the starting role, running aggressively and tackling with intent. More on Leniu later

Brandon Smith - Thought he was very good with those tenacious runs. Constantly asked questions around the ruck and defended well. A sensational kick to turn momentum in the 2nd half too

Sitilli/Wong/N Butcher - Thought all 3 of these players struggled to get involved. They weren't poor by any stretch but just was a weird game for them. It was the same for the Broncos 2nd rowers so might just be the game being played through the middle and then to the centres.

Radley - Outstanding! More of this Victor. Controlled aggression putting big hits on with good technique and low risk of fouling combined with strong running and a bit of ball play as well. Deserved his try

May - We need to prioritise re-signing this bloke. An absolute beast off the bench who just keeps chewing metres and an offload machine to boot.

Whyte - Limited minutes but was decent enough in the time he got

Sandon Smith - Think we have something with this bloke. Always looks dangerous at the back end of games and got close to scoring a try on this occasion.

3 Teddy
2 Radley
1 Keary

May was very stiff to miss out and an honourable mention for the whole squad.

Obviously the Leniu incident will be in the news this week. At this stage I think we just sit back and see what comes of it before making a judgement.

Overall this was an excellent start but it is only a start. What this does do is already give us breathing room for the first half of the comp which on paper is the toughest part of our schedule. We have 8 games against last years top 8 in the first 12 and only 2 games in the 2nd 12.

Last point, Vegas was a great spectacle. It was a privilege to be involved and congratulations to both teams for providing a contest of this quality in round 1

Sorry for the long one but it's nice to be in this position after round 1 for once. Let's hope this continues throughout the season.

After I saw this caption for a video on the NRL's website, I wonder if we should start calling Teddy "Steve Austin" -

1709510046579.png

H.H

Juniors
3 - Radley
2 - Ted
1 - Manu

Thought Radley really set the tone that was needed to match the Broncos physically. Ted was outstanding but Radley my best. Manu just pips Sualli'i due the latter's one lapse on Walsh for their first try but both were outstanding. May another who was tremendous.

Shame about this Leniu stuff and I just wish players arouns the game would let due process run it's course instead of coming our accusing Robbo of this, we're with you Ezra that etc. I get it's ugly if it indeed happened but none of really know and won't until a proper investigation is done. If he's found guilty then I'll have no issue with whatever penalty the NRL hands out.

Anyway, great start so hoping they can kick on from here.

3. Teddy - competed everywhere.
2. Rads - back to his best, aggressive but measured.
1. Joey - i felt we needed to be first to score and Joey obliged. ‘That pass’ in the second half broke the opposition imo.

Best round one effort in a very long time.
There was a lot to like. I thought all the forwards stood up. Great to see the cheese reminding us why the club bought him in the first place. Halves looked good together and yes @Valheru, Billy will struggle to get back on the field. What a fabulous event. The NRL are on a winner with this.

Disappointed in Spencer if true. Whatever happens, I just hope it’s obvious to all that he got a fair hearing which I’m not confident in given all and sundry have gotten involved.

Question regarding the new ruling that took away Sammy’s FG. Collins did nothing but stood still, didn’t even offer a stray arm. So was it Radley who moved toward Collins that created a mini wall the bit the bunker to a disliking to? Too noisy to hear commentary at the pub and haven’t had a chance to see it on Kayo yet. Thought there wasn’t much in it and nor would the defender have made it in time anyway.

Happy rugby league.

Valheru

Coach
3. Teddy - competed everywhere.
2. Rads - back to his best, aggressive but measured.
1. Joey - i felt we needed to be first to score and Joey obliged. ‘That pass’ in the second half broke the opposition imo.

Best round one effort in a very long time.
There was a lot to like. I thought all the forwards stood up. Great to see the cheese reminding us why the club bought him in the first place. Halves looked good together and yes @Valheru, Billy will struggle to get back on the field. What a fabulous event. The NRL are on a winner with this.

Disappointed in Spencer if true. Whatever happens, I just hope it’s obvious to all that he got a fair hearing which I’m not confident in given all and sundry have gotten involved.

Question regarding the new ruling that took away Sammy’s FG. Collins did nothing but stood still, didn’t even offer a stray arm. So was it Radley who moved toward Collins that created a mini wall the bit the bunker to a disliking to? Too noisy to hear commentary at the pub and haven’t had a chance to see it on Kayo yet. Thought there wasn’t much in it and nor would the defender have made it in time anyway.

Happy rugby league.
Re: field goal, yep that's my take on it. Lindsay was behind the Rick and doesn't have to move but Victor moved towards him making a wall.

Defender doesn't make it IMO but that hasn't stopped them calling obstruction on regular plays so just have to live with it.

10$ Ferret

Staff member

Happy rugby league.
Movement doesn't matter at all with the new rules. If the defender doesn't not have a straight run at the kicker then its a penalty. Very different to this year but its the new rule.

Valheru

Coach
Movement doesn't matter at all with the new rules. If the defender doesn't not have a straight run at the kicker then its a penalty. Very different to this year but its the new rule.
Even if it's a single player who is behind the ruck?

Seems ridiculous they would have to actively get out of the way.