What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos and drugs, NRL investigating

Perth Red

Post Whore
How many parents hope their kids grow up like Amy Winehouse?

Reality is sports stars are seen as role models for kids, popstars are not.

Players bleat about not earning enough money, what national company will want to give players $'s to endorse their products with the reputation they have?

beads6

First Grade
I can totally see why everyone loves bashing the Broncos at the moment. Every second day there is a scandal of some sort. First cutie to AFL, then 56-nil then more drug claims at the Broncos. I know if it was another team I'd love it so flame the Broncos away fellas It is all in a bit of fun anyway.

roboshark

Coach
I can totally see why everyone loves bashing the Broncos at the moment. Every second day there is a scandal of some sort. First cutie to AFL, then 56-nil then more drug claims at the Broncos. I know if it was another team I'd love it so flame the Broncos away fellas It is all in a bit of fun anyway.

Well the sharks copped it almost daily for months so I'm not saying anything

fightingirish69

Juniors
Who the f**k are you to tell me what I should or should not say on a public forum?

Typical obnoxious know all Bronco fan, here is an idea go and pick up your sides candy, will ya. Go on, that's a boy.
well obviously he thinks he can dictate what is said on this forum johnsy;-)

fightingirish69

Juniors
Well the sharks copped it almost daily for months so I'm not saying anything

exactly, broncos fans love to put crap on other teams, but when it comes to their own. they get all precious

or they go support the lions, or support another nrl team thats winning.

salivor

First Grade
I keep saying we should go steady but he doesn't want to be tied down.

So are you actually going to contribute to this thread or cheerlead from the sidelines? Isn't that the kind of pack mentality you were accusing Broncos fans of?

fightingirish69

Juniors
I keep saying we should go steady but he doesn't want to be tied down.

So are you actually going to contribute to this thread or cheerlead from the sidelines? Isn't that the kind of pack mentality you were accusing Broncos fans of?

pack mentality

johnsy and i dont supprt the same team. so its a bit different to a bunch of broncos fans jumping on someone when criticism comes their way

contribute to the thread?
the only thing that disturbs me a bout this issue and if players are in fact taking recreational drugs is the name peter jackson.. i'm just hoping no one ends up going the way he did

salivor

First Grade
pack mentality

johnsy and i dont supprt the same team. so its a bit different to a bunch of broncos fans jumping on someone when criticism comes their way

contribute to the thread?
the only thing that disturbs me a bout this issue and if players are in fact taking recreational drugs is the name peter jackson.. i'm just hoping no one ends up going the way he did

I see, so ganging up and posting in packs is only bad if you support the same team. Cool.

I don't think any player could get away with having a serious addiction with the amount of NRL and in-house testing that goes on these days. Clubs can cover up and support the player through the first positive in-house test but it's only a matter of time before they get caught on an NRL drugs test and spend the next 2 or so years on the sidelines.

If you could read scrotum breath, I actually said I could ignore him, however that would be rude when discussing a point of difference.

Dont you have another "Leave Brisbane alone" thread to post ?

Ok Johnsy, so what was your point then? That you are too good to be a part of this argument? yet you still continue to contribute more to this thread then anyone else.

Or do you think that you must have your say on everything, even though noone cares one bit about your biased opinion besides a bunch of forum f**kwits like Loudstrat.

You continue to try to make personal insults as your way of arguing your way through this, posting stupid pictures and calling Salivor an "angry Man/Child" while trying to act like your the coolest guy in school by doing it. I'm guessing you got picked on in High School, so 40 years later or however old you are, in an attempt to make yourself feel better about it all, you pick on someone on the Internet? If this is the case, then I'm sorry Johnsy, I'll let you have your moment.

ramble_on

Juniors
How many parents hope their kids grow up like Amy Winehouse?

Reality is sports stars are seen as role models for kids, popstars are not.

Players bleat about not earning enough money, what national company will want to give players $'s to endorse their products with the reputation they have?

err... since when did parent's wants become a measure of role model efficiency..?? Take a look at some of the kids getups these days and tell me they're not influenced by Amy Whinehouse..!!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhq...ver-drug-claims/2009/08/03/1249152559121.html

Broncos take aim over drug claims

Brad Walter | August 4, 2009

FURIOUS Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen and some of his star players are threatening legal action against newspapers owned by the club’s major stakeholder, News Ltd, over drug allegations – and the media giant will not intervene to stop them.

The bitter fallout between News’s flagship NRL club and some of its newspapers comes as Brisbane international Justin Hodges denied CCTV footage broadcast on The Daily Telegraph’s website of a man at a Surfers Paradise kebab shop in the early hours of July 12 – just days before Origin III – was him.

In a related matter, the Herald was told that reports Hodges had been reprimanded by Maroons management for breaking curfew in the lead-up to the match were also incorrect.

Cullen said lawyers had been consulted over the raft of allegations against the club and its players following the reports that a Brisbane, Queensland and Australian star was battling a ‘‘major drug problem’’ and that Broncos management had turned a blind eye.

With only five players fitting that criteria, Cullen suggested the representative stars could also take their own legal action.

‘‘‘I’m really disappointed in that and we’re seeking legal advice at the moment,’’ Cullen said. ‘‘It’s scurrilous, it’s ridiculous, it’s untrue.

‘‘We’ve been a leader in drug testing for some years now and we continue to be. We target test, we do what we have to do in regard to the league’s drug policy. We probably do four or five more tests than anyone and that’s right across the board, from the skipper down to the [under] 20s.

‘‘To suggest for one moment that me as a CEO – and I know my name wasn’t mentioned but the club was and I currently have the reins of that club – that I would either not test or hide test results of a player is scurrilous and we’re seeking legal advice.’’

News holds a controlling share in the Broncos but Cullen fails to see this as a hurdle to pursuing legal action – and the company’s corporate affairs director, Greg Baxter, said such decisions would be left to the club.

‘‘I’ve seen Bruno’s comments in relation to the story and he is fairly emphatic in his view, so I don’t think it would be appropriate to make any comment,’’ Baxter told the Herald.

‘‘If he is contemplating litigation that is something he is entitled to do and News wouldn’t interfere in that. However, from News Ltd’s perspective, litigation, and not just in rugby league, is usually a waste of time and money and most people tend to find that.’’

Cullen refused to disclose the identity of the player at the centre of the allegations but was confident he was clean.

‘‘He’s been tested a number of times over a long period of time, including the recent State or Origin series,’’ he said. ‘‘There has been no positive tests whatsoever.

‘‘The major content of the story is totally incorrect. This club is not hiding anything from anybody in regards to drug testing.

‘‘I wanted to make sure the ground I’m coming from is solid and I’ve done that today. And the ground I’m coming from is very solid. I don’t believe the player they are naming has anything to answer for.’’

Meanwhile, Hodges last night told reporters he was not the man circled in CCTV footage at a Surfers Paradise kebab shop in the early hours of the Sunday before Origin III, saying he was back at the team camp at Sanctuary Cove.

Cullen is also convinced it is not his star centre in the footage.

‘‘I’ve looked at the footage and it doesn’t look like the player at all,’’ said Cullen, who also denied another report that the club had secretly fined a player $10,000 in the past fortnight for mixing the sleeping drug Stilnox with energy drink Red Bull, a party trick allegedly used in the Maroons Origin camp.

bartman

Immortal
News holds a controlling share in the Broncos
f**king idiots... their papers are biting the hand that feeds them. They're going negative against their own investments now with no publicly stated proof.

If only less people bothered reading their sh*tty papers, then they might change their tack in reporting the game.

El Diablo

Post Whore
‘‘If he is contemplating litigation that is something he is entitled to do and News wouldn’t interfere in that. However, from News Ltd’s perspective, litigation, and not just in rugby league, is usually a waste of time and money and most people tend to find that.’’

then why only make up bs about league?

scumbags know they can get away with it

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25878453-2722,00.html

Brisbane Broncos counterattack on drugs

Stuart Honeysett | August 04, 2009
Article from: The Australian

THE Brisbane player alleged to have a major drug problem has been tested by the Broncos at least 24 times in the past two years.

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen yesterday threatened legal action over a report in Sydney tabloid The Sunday Telegraph that an NRL player had a major drug problem that was being covered up by officials and players at the club.

Although both the club and the player were not identified, the information was later passed on to NRL chief executive David Gallop.

Gallop subsequently rang Cullen on Sunday to tell him it was the Broncos and he also named the player at the centre of the allegations.

"I'm really disappointed with that and we're seeking legal advice at this very moment," Cullen said.

"That's scurrilous, it's ridiculous, it's untrue, we've never done that.

"I believe it has ruined our reputation and that's why I'm on the front foot with regard to legal action.

"He (the player) has been tested a number of times over a long period of time, including through the recent State of Origin series and there has been no positive tests in any regard whatsoever."

Since standardised in-house drug testing was phased into the game over the past few seasons, Brisbane has been one of the frontrunners among the 16 NRL clubs.

The Broncos perform 300 target tests of its players each season - the NRL requirement is 70.

The club also spends $30,000 annually on the exercise and has even tested the entire squad on the one day.

"We've been a leader in drug testing for a number of years and we continue to be," Cullen said.

"We target test, we do all the things that we have to do with regards to the league's drug policy and as I said we probably do four or five more tests than anyone.

"That's across the board, it's from the skipper right down to the under-20s.

"To suggest for one moment that me as CEO - and I know my name wasn't mentioned but the club was and I've currently got the reins - that I would either not test or hide test results from a player is scurrilous."

The league has a two-strikes policy for in-house tests, which means a player's identity is protected for a first offence but made public after a second.

The player then faces an automatic 12-match suspension and could also have his contract torn up by the club.

"Brisbane are one of the most aggressive testers by every account we've got," NRL media and communications director John Brady said.

"You can never guarantee that no one gets through the system but the point is if you've got an aggressive random policy going, it's actually pretty hard.

"All you can say is it's as comprehensive a system as there is."

The latest alleged drug scandal facing the game came less than two weeks after The Australian broke the story that some Queensland players had taken a home-made party drug of the sleeping tablet Stilnox and energy drink Red Bull in the lead-up to State of Origin III.

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr yesterday received a copy of the QRL's report into the matter and said he was satisfied the investigation could not proceed any further.

The QRL's handling of the matter was criticised last week for being ham-fisted after it emerged that the entire process had consisted of little more than interviews with coach Mal Meninga and team manager Steve Walters.

"There is a commitment from the QRL that they will get someone in independently if there is enough evidence warranting that," Carr said.

"On the current information talking to players there is nothing further that they can do and I've got an appreciation of that."

The QRL reprimanded two players who broke camp on the Sunday night before the game, alleged to have been Brisbane duo Karmichael Hunt and Justin Hodges.

Cullen also used yesterday's press conference to deny claims he was aware of the two players who had misbehaved and had simply passed the information on to the QRL.

He also challenged the claims that Hunt and Hodges were the two players who had broken curfew and gone partying at Broadbeach.

"I got a phone call, no names (were) mentioned, but because they rang me, whoever wrote the story suggested that they must be Broncos players," Cullen said.

"I can confirm that they weren't."

CJG 182

Juniors
LOL at Cullen being surprised by mention of cover ups when there was a blatant one by the QRL within the last month.