What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Back 5 - 2013

some11

Referee
Coach seems to think a couple of arsey tries and holding on for dear life works too.

Hench

Juniors
Hoffman is terrible. Is slow, small, can't beat a tackle or pass the ball. The Karmichael play is pretty much non existant with Hoffman at 1.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
It really depends on the halves and whether or not they can give the backs room to weave their magic.

I don't think it's as big a deal as some of you are making it out to be.

I think that's the point, the halves really don't have all that much magic. There is just a distinct lack of potency in the backline, and Prince well he's barely played 4 or 5 good games in 2 years, and Wallace has just always been a solid performer.

Funnily enough I see the Broncos in a similar situation to what the Dragons were last year (except with a better coach). You have a pretty good forward pack, and a backline that'll probably be able to capitalise pretty inconsistently. I think they're a fringe top 8 side this year, but could just as easily miss out.

Pugzley

How is Youch Yeh coming along. Last I heard, he still recovering from his shattered ankle.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
How is Youch Yeh coming along. Last I heard, he still recovering from his shattered ankle.

All reports seemed to suggest a mid-season return.

As has been said, the potential problem is not in the backline, but in the halves. If Prince can step up and provide quality ball to the backs, Norman could focus on being a ball running 5/8th and support player running off forwards looking to offload, and broken play(which is how he scored the majority of his trys in 2012).

Hodges to fullback would add some spark, and Reed is dangerous when set up well by his halves (which he wasn't last year).

There is no problem with the pack though. McGuire will be looking to cement a front row starting spot, Hannant is quality, Glenn was last years top try scorer and Parker is at the top of his game. Ironically, Thaiday is the only one needing a kick up the arse. The addition of a fit David Hala to the bench will return that sting to the hit ups around the 30 minute mark.

Hutty1986

Immortal
That Brisbane pack really is top shelf. Hala is a beast, plus you'd have to think that McGuire will go close to a Qld jersey this year

Boy

Juniors
1 hodges/Norman
2 Copley / Maranta
3 Reed
4 Norman/Hodges
5 Yow yeh

Hodges and Norman to swap on field as hodges sees fit
Copley maranta depending who's firing
I really like maranta and believe he could become a solid player and hopefully a lifer

betcats

Referee
I am sure i read an article not long ago about a potential Hodges move to fullback...he was inspired by GIs success.

_Johnsy

Referee
Late in the prelim last yr Hodges played fullback for the last ten and the side appeared to click

I can't see him being that effective at fullback. He is most effective from dummy 1/2, he hs a year possibly two decent ones left in him TBH.

I am sure i read an article not long ago about a potential Hodges move to fullback...he was inspired by GIs success.

Problem is he isn't 1/2 the player GI is.

hardbaby

Coach
Not sure if he is fit enough for fullback. He has the skill set for sure. But to be a good fullback requires a lot of work off the ball. Hodges is pretty lazy. If he wants is badly enough, he'll get there. 50:50.

chigurh

Not sure if he is fit enough for fullback. He has the skill set for sure. But to be a good fullback requires a lot of work off the ball. Hodges is pretty lazy. If he wants is badly enough, he'll get there. 50:50.

Hodges isn't lazy. He is one of the hardest working backs in the comp.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Hodges isn't lazy. He is one of the hardest working backs in the comp.

He may not be 'lazy' but his main play is from dummy half, every different to picking off a kick at full sprint 10-15 times a game.

If this was thrown up 3 or 4 years ago, I would have thought it was a decent chance of working. Nowadays, I'd say the extra fatigue would put him at more risk of injury, for little gain.

bellyache

Bench
What happened to the once entertaining Broncos?
I can't remember such a dull back 5 coming into a Broncos season.

1. Norman
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Copely
Unfortunately Hodges best if far behind him but Norman Hoffman and Reed are good, any good young fella's coming through?

Latest posts