What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos in the ANZAC Test

Dazzat

First Grade
Mmmm. What does Hunt's selection mean for Queensland's SOO campaign? I thought Bowen was a near certainty, but King Stuart believes he's a little suspect under the high ball. It was only a few weeks ago that Hunt dropped two or three in a game ... I think it was against the Roosters as well.

Maybe they are looking for the Lockyer-Hunt combination, although it's becoming a little predictable.

Mr Saab

Referee
He had a poor game vs the Dragons, not the Chooks.
Just because he is selected for Oz, doesnt mean he will be chosen for origin. Selectors are different.
Look at Joel Clinton. He was chosen for Oz in 2004, has not played origin post that game.

broncoman

Juniors
In all honesty if he has a reasonable enough game on friday and keeps up his current form for Brisbane id say he will be Origin fullback...

broncoman said:
In all honesty if he has a reasonable enough game on friday and keeps up his current form for Brisbane id say he will be Origin fullback...

How he can be that close to the top of the run when it comes to queensland and australian fullbacks is beyond me, he had a great debut season but hasnt really done anything spectacular other than score a try here or there since, and that puts him infront of bowen, wesser and slater???? three guys that have been there before, lol, Stuart kissing up to bennett big time

Dazzat

First Grade
I think the SOO selectors will go for Bowen because of his experience at Origin level and combination with Thurston.

Hunt is reaping the benefits of his consistency. Every week he is among the top five performers for the Broncos - and consistency is probably the hardest thing to achieve for young players.

He's only gonna get better.

salivor

First Grade
Dazzat said:
Maybe they are looking for the Lockyer-Hunt combination, although it's becoming a little predictable.

You mean that thrilling left hand side second man play that get's trotted out now everytime we're in the opposition's 20? Australians better hope that they've got more than that planned.

broncoman

Juniors
VictorTheViking said:
How he can be that close to the top of the run when it comes to queensland and australian fullbacks is beyond me, he had a great debut season but hasnt really done anything spectacular other than score a try here or there since, and that puts him infront of bowen, wesser and slater???? three guys that have been there before, lol, Stuart kissing up to bennett big time
and have Bowen, Slater or Wesser shown any reasonable form at that level to suggest they deserve to retain their places? its time Inglis and Hunt are given a go...

lockyno1

Post Whore
broncoman said:
and have Bowen, Slater or Wesser shown any reasonable form at that level to suggest they deserve to retain their places? its time Inglis and Hunt are given a go...

Tend to agree but I would defiantely have Bowen on the bench (no17). Ingliss and Hunt deserve a crack.

broncoman said:

Point taken, but they have the experience at that level, hunt is a kid, that is playing OK footy, nothing flash, but going well, is that really enough to get him a rep jumper?

salivor

First Grade
VictorTheViking said:
Point taken, but they have the experience at that level, hunt is a kid, that is playing OK footy, nothing flash, but going well, is that really enough to get him a rep jumper?

OK footy? Hunt has probably been our best player behind Hodges over the last month, he's really coming in to his own. Now I'm not going to pretend that I'd select him over the likes of Bowen or Inglis but he's playing a bit better than OK at the moment.

broncoman

Juniors
salivor said:
OK footy? Hunt has probably been our best player behind Hodges over the last month, he's really coming in to his own. Now I'm not going to pretend that I'd select him over the likes of Bowen or Inglis but he's playing a bit better than OK at the moment.
id select him in front of Inglis atm, just because i dont think Inglis is ready to play test footy yet, hes played 20 first grade games, Hunt is now into his 3rd full season of first grade, hes inexperienced as far as age goes, but not games played...
I agree that none of us is neccisarily saying hunt should have been picked, but that wont stop us from being happy for him, as a broncos fan i wouldnt expect anything different...

Diablo

Juniors
Matt Bowen's form has not been good enough to be selected in the Australian team.

Yes he has come up with some extraordinary plays this year, but overall his form has been up and down.

Karmichael has been consistently good all this year, and deserves his selection ahead of Inglis who is too in-experienced to throw into a test match.

kbw

Bench
What annoys me about Hunts selection is his defense, he has surprised me a few times with some great involvement in attack but his defense is absolute rubbish, I think its an insult.

Hodges is a tad unlucky, I think he has problaby been the form centre, his postional play defensively needs to improve a bit and he problaby needs a little more time to convince some people he is not a pea heart anymore.

Lockyer did have a very ordinary season last year ( by his standards) and the games he played for Australia were not that good at all. Saying that I don't think he deserved to be dropped.

Now on that (and this is not based on Lockyer at all) I believe that you have to keep earning your test spot and just because you are capt doesn't mean you should be automatically selected.

On another note, I was so happy when those useless twats Gower and Ryles were not named (even if one was based on injury).

AsPiRiNg YoUtH

Juniors
wow Hunt was amazing tonight. The way he protected the line and quickly submitted when being attacked on the line was first class. Also Lockyer at fullback was also amazing. Man, i bet that raised many eyebrows.

A few points from the game:

* Pritchard was unlucky. He made no attempt to hit Hunt high, but was penalised and changed the match. Very stupid IMO.

* Hunt was amazing and showed he deserved to be picked.

* Lockyer was even better. Man he is amazing.

* Topou was great fo NZ, and had some big hits (3 in a row! Well done!)

And does anyone know if Hunt will play this weekend? If he does not i feel our chances may be a bit dimmer. He is really is amazing and i want him to play. Any word?

broncoman

Juniors
He wont play, quite simply even if he feels well i dont think Bennett will allow it, id like to think maybe parfitt will come in, but for such a big game i wouldnt be surprised to see Hodges moved to fullback with Carroll starting in the centres...

broncoman

Juniors
given Hodges form id love to see how he'd go at the back now, id expect and Inglis style of game except Hodges isnt quite as quick...

salivor

First Grade
broncoman said:
given Hodges form id love to see how he'd go at the back now, id expect and Inglis style of game except Hodges isnt quite as quick...

I think Hodges would be wasted at fullback, especially with his lack of speed. If we're going in with Hunt why not move Lockyer to fullback, I'm sure he'd like less defensive workload backing up after last night. Perry and dare I say it Seymour in the halves.

broncoman

Juniors
thats probably what id like to see as real, but being realistic will Bennett do that?
Cause im definately against Carroll being in the centres but id suggest theres a good chance he'll start there...

salivor

First Grade
broncoman said:
thats probably what id like to see as real, but being realistic will Bennett do that?
Cause im definately against Carroll being in the centres but id suggest theres a good chance he'll start there...

It's quite ironic really, we had a good couple of years of Bennett refusing to move Locky to 5/8 and defending him as a fullback now I suggest it'll take equally as long to get Bennett to move him back to fullback which really does have to happen sooner or later.