What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

broncos own cup team

blueballs

Juniors
rather than spread all the broncs contracted players over several cup teams put them in one team so that they can play with each other and learn each others styles. also train with the top squad so that transitions are easier when players move up and down in the ranks creates more cohession.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
This is a good idea which would benefit the Broncos but it would be bad for the QLD cup as the team would dominate all the others. It would make the QLD cup comp incredibly unfair.

blueballs

Juniors
This is a good idea which would benefit the Broncos but it would be bad for the QLD cup as the team would dominate all the others. It would make the QLD cup comp incredibly unfair.

I dont think it will that much when other NRL teams are already doing it. Canberra - souths logan
titans- ipswich / tweed
cowboys - northern pride and cutters
manly- sunny coast

maybe if broncs used two clubs say norths and easts or reddy and wynumm

Seagullsrock

Juniors
A) They already train with the top squad
B) Would you like this team called the Broncos No. 2? The Broncos aren't going to pay for a separate club. The idea is just plain stupid.

Big Pete

Referee
In a ideal world I'd love to see the Broncos introduce their own Queensland Cup side but realistically it just isn't feesible.

JW

Coach
It'd be even better if we had a national reserve grade comp to bridge the gap between the U/20s and the NRL, instead of spreading our fringe players across the state comps.

Smiley

Bench
It'd be even better if we had a national reserve grade comp to bridge the gap between the U/20s and the NRL, instead of spreading our fringe players across the state comps.

I'm against a National reserve comp if it takes away from the great QLD Cup comp. It would only be the NSWRL pushing for a national reserve comp because there NSW Cup is sh*t and poorly run.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Given the extra costs of running their own team v sharing that cost with 6 local teams the Broncos would be mad to go down this path again.

Having 1 feeder team for the Broncos wouldnt mean they would "dominate" the other teams either. As has already been mentioned here the Eagles, Raiders, Titans and Cowboys put their fringe players in the comp to even the scales and the history of the Clydesdales and Aspley Broncos gives no weight to that arguement.

Last edited:

JW

Coach
I'm against a National reserve comp if it takes away from the great QLD Cup comp. It would only be the NSWRL pushing for a national reserve comp because there NSW Cup is sh*t and poorly run.

Not sure about NSW but I highly doubt it would have too much of an affect on the Qld Cup, providing the overall setup of Rugby League in this country eventually gets its shyte in order. The game's depth is too strong.

For me though I really think the game needs to strengthen its levels of progression towards the top. It would be so much better, for the 20s in particular, to stay in an NRL club environment and take a 'step up' to reserve grade rather than move on to the state leagues. Certainly not knocking the quality of the Q Cup at all and the experience it gives to our fringe players, I just think its makes sense as far as the national comp is concerned.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
If it leads to better development of our juniors and fringe players, then isn't it money well spent?

Joker's Wild

Coach
If it leads to better development of our juniors and fringe players, then isn't it money well spent?

I dont see how it would improve there development tbh. If anything it would hinder them given the instability in the playing roster caused by players always coming in and out of the one side.

Country Bronco

Juniors
I actually believe that we should have a nsw cup side and put some players into that comp under a different logo. Play out of central coast. It would be good in development and a money spinner as well.

blueballs

Juniors
I dont see how it would improve there development tbh. If anything it would hinder them given the instability in the playing roster caused by players always coming in and out of the one side.

speaking from experience the under 20 players whilst at the nrl club are under a lot stronger supervision and a lot more professionalism. yes they do train with the top squad most of the time then they go back to rival q cup squads were the bash the sh*t out of each other rather than developing a strong player or team relationship.also to that when they younger players travell away with the q cup players they tend to learn a lot of bad habbits socially. the life skills that are provided by the staff and clubs of the q cup are miles away from the level of professionalism offered by nrl clubs. the other thing is the old heads from the Q cup get rather upset when a younger nrl contracted player gets sent back to cup and then he is relegated to A grade after training there all week or in some cases months. These older players then go out of there way to make a name for themselves by taking cheap shots at the young and up and coming players.
the best and proven system is u21 reserves and the 1 st grade, better for spectators better for the developement and would stop a lot of the sh*t that goes on off the field as the older bloke keep the young guys in line.

blueballs

Juniors
A) They already train with the top squad
B) Would you like this team called the Broncos No. 2? The Broncos aren't going to pay for a separate club. The idea is just plain stupid.

I know they train with the toop squad because I drive there on a regular basis What I am trying to say is it doesnt havebe called to broncos, but they should reduce the amount of feeder teams they use.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I know they train with the toop squad because I drive there on a regular basis What I am trying to say is it doesnt havebe called to broncos, but they should reduce the amount of feeder teams they use.

Burleigh Bears are going to be a titans feeder next year. Theres a start.