What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

AceAv

Juniors
Yeah sux we lost Norman. But he didn't cut the mustard for us in the 6 last year. We signed Hunt -fantastic move imo. Now we just need to be extra focused on our new up and comers... I think Kahu, Granville, Slyney, Timu, Baptiste and J Wallace are the main contenders. Another quality centre could also help.

isaiah

Bench
from noosa, playing a schoolboys carnival at roma. probably representing sunny coast. broncs have kodi nikorima and cameron cullen in that age group and a younger 7 from darling downs named ashley taylor. taylor scored 2 tries and set up another in the last nyc game v cowboys and the week before scored 3 and set up a 4th in another win over gold coast.
nice story on young taylor in the C-Mail yesterday

Chainshada

Juniors
I know a lot of people are hoping for Shaun Johnson, but that is a bit of a long shot. Opinions on:

6. Hunt
7. Hodkinson

Has a good long kicking game, is structured enough for Griffin, and a talented goal kicker. Off-contract at the end of the year, dogs have signed/re-signed a lot of players so if a club really goes for him they won't retain.

Dazzat

First Grade
I know a lot of people are hoping for Shaun Johnson, but that is a bit of a long shot. Opinions on:

6. Hunt
7. Hodkinson

Has a good long kicking game, is structured enough for Griffin, and a talented goal kicker. Off-contract at the end of the year, dogs have signed/re-signed a lot of players so if a club really goes for him they won't retain.

He was allowed to leave by Manly and his now second option for the Bulldogs after Keating. Maybe worth a backup for Johnson or Williams, but definitely not the answer for the Broncs.

Chainshada

Juniors
Wasn't he only behind Keating because he had a bad run of injuries last year? If he stays fit, he'll probably be there for the rest of the year.

unbreaK

Juniors

6. Hunt
7. Hodkinson

No thanks!

Dazzat

First Grade
Wasn't he only behind Keating because he had a bad run of injuries last year? If he stays fit, he'll probably be there for the rest of the year.

I'm reminded ... didn't he play halfback for Manly and got them to the semis? I think it was the year after Orford left. Had a boom first year, and then suffered second year syndrome.

Fourth choice behind Johnson, Williams and Tomkins.

The Johnson rumour makes sense though. Everything's gone quiet on Tomkins - which could mean the Warriors have signed him and needed to let Johnson go (which really surprises unless he had some issues at the club).

AceAv

Juniors
As hopeful as I am that we get Johnson, tomkins or Williams. I just can't hold my breath when it comes to Broncos recruitment anymore. God I hope they prove me wrong, and soon!

beads6

First Grade
Tomkins can get f**ked. Williams is a maybe and Johnson would be the miracle get. We would want to have someone signed if we let Wallace go.

unbreaK

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/od...ecruitment-plans/story-fndv2w3r-1226646221376

Losses since the end of the 2009 season -

Peter Wallace (Soon)
Delroy Berryman
Corey Norman
Mitchell Frei
Dane Gagai
Gerard Beale
Ben T'eo
Darren Lockyer
Dane Carlaw
Tim Smith
PJ Marsh
Steve Michaels
Israel Folau
Lagi Setu
Antonio Winterstein
Tariq Sims
Ashton Sims
Karmichael Hunt

Gains since the end of the 2009 season -

Scott Prince (Cheap)
David Stagg
Denan Kemp
Ben Hannant
Shane Tronc (Gone)
Luke Capewell (Gone)
Petero Civoniceva (Gone)

Am I missing something or must we be the richest club in the NRL by several hundred thousand dollars

Last edited:

Coz87

Juniors
Losses since the end of the 2009 season -

Peter Wallace (Soon)
Delroy Berryman
Dane Gagai
Gerard Beale
Ben T'eo
Darren Lockyer
Dane Carlaw
Tim Smith
PJ Marsh
Steve Michaels
Israel Folau
Lagi Setu
Antonio Winterstein
Tariq Sims
Ashton Sims
Karmichael Hunt

Gains since the end of the 2009 season -

Scott Prince (Cheap)
David Stagg
Denan Kemp
Ben Hannant
Shane Tronc (Gone)
Luke Capewell (Gone)
Petero Civoniceva (Gone)

Am I missing something or must we be the richest club in the NRL by several hundred thousand dollars
This the problem look at some of those names we have lost + a few and the crap we have coming in. The Broncos like to bring players into fist grade from NYC but it is not working at the moment. I think if we rebuild from 1.6.7 and 9 with a mix of current Broncos and new ones 2014 is going to be a good year. Imo I don't rate macs as a dummy ithink a dummy should be playing mins and have abit of vision about him. Macca should play lock when Corey hangs them up. Norman to move to centre and Hodges to play fullback when not injured.Hodges only has 2 years left in him.

gUt

Coach
Thought I read somewhere that Quade Cooper might be interested in a code switch...

AceAv

Juniors
They always trump up the rumours of Cooper with this code switch crap. austyph said it best in the other thread:
To me it seems way too risky to put a player (albeit a very talented player) from another code in to such an important position.

A wing position or centre? Yes, but 1, 7, 6 definitely not. I would rather bring in someone young and inexperienced and watch them grow rather than Quade. IF we were to bring over Quade he would have to spend time in the QRL first, that's the only way it could work.

Looking at Unbreaks little chart: We have lost some very good players and gained too few. On paper that's a pretty horrible loss/gain. But we new at the start of 2010 that it was a very young side of hopefuls coming up through the woodwork and that's how the Broncos wanted to develop their next premiership team.

Looking back it wasn't the perfect plan and since Locky left there has just been far too big a hole to fill in the number 6. They gambled with Norman and must have seen something in Wallace none of us do. It's time they cut the crap and find the best possible playmaker money can buy out there for 2014+ -As I think most of us feel pretty let down by the Broncs recruitment team...

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
That list by Unbreak proves my previous point about Sydney-based players. The club seems unable or unwilling to attract any non-Queensland Sydney-based player anymore. The last I can think of is ... what for it ... Joel Clinton.

And considering the number of players that represents, that's a bit gap in our recruitment possibilities.

unbreaK

Juniors
FOX SPORTS News ‏@FOXSportsNews 14m
.@brisbanebroncos deny halfback Peter Wallace will return to his former club @PenrithPanthers next season #NRL

NEVERMINDLOL

Kiwi

First Grade
I'm happy to keep Wallace. Hunt and Wallace in the halves will work, we just need what every other decent club has, a decent fullback, and I certainly wouldn't mind if we signed a big forward.

Latest posts