What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

AceAv

Juniors
lol the look on waffles face in this photo says it all!

in truth, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a good offer elsewhere. He is rarely injured, obviously gives 100% to his team, and I'm sure most people would think "he'll pair nicely with our 5"8 and play better for us...." sadly those who watch him every week and have done so since he came here know the truth.

1qaz

Juniors
Newcastle Knights centre Dane Gagai has agreed to terms to extend his contract with the Club until 2015.
Gagai has played 18 games for the Knights since joining the Club midway through 2012 and quickly formed an exciting partnership alongside Akuila Uate on the right edge.
“We are extremely pleased to announce Dane has committed to our Club for a further two years,” CEO Matt Gidley said.
“Dane has been outstanding since arriving at our Club and this new contract is a reward for that form.
“Dane and Aku have struck a wonderful combination on our right edge and I am sure our Members and supporters are looking forward to this partnership developing further over the next few years.”
Gagai, who had his younger brother Jacob join him at the Club this season, is delighted to secure his future at the Knights.
“I am happy in Newcastle, I am enjoying my football and I am grateful for the opportunity to play under Wayne (Bennett),” Gagai said.
“Wayne showed belief in me from the minute I arrived at the Club and now I have my younger brother here with me as well.
“For everything he and the Knights have given me and my family, I want to repay them.
“That makes the decision to extend my contract an easy one.”
As well as Gagai, the Knights also announced on Wednesday morning Robbie Rochow and David Fa’alogo have re-signed with the Club.
"Last year we focused on bringing in experienced players such as Jeremy Smith, Beau Scott and David," Gidley added.
"We are now securing the young talent we have at the Club, such as Dane and Robbie, who are the future of the Knights."

This is why the Broncos will continue to struggle to develop and attract quality youngsters while the current coach is there

This is why the Broncos will continue to struggle to develop and attract quality youngsters while the current coach is there

Whilst I don't necessarily disagree, Griffin didn't want to lose Gagai, he had to because of numerous breaches. Phil Gould isn't the best source, but I'd be surprised if he straight up lied about a conversation he had with Griffin on TV

Dazzat

First Grade
Adam Blair, DCE, S Johnson, Hodgkinson, Benji, Barba, Quade, Barnes, Tompkins, Sam Williams.....

Did I leave anyone out?

Israel Folau, Johnny Wilkinson, David Beckham and Tiger Woods.

Oh ... you forgot the rumour of Wayne Bennett returning to the club and bringing and host of Newcastle players with him.

And then there was the story earlier in the year about Darren Lockyer making a comeback.

Ghoulies

Bench
I don't know why you're still so upset. Your favourite player apparently got a glowing recommendation to a number of other clubs according to Phil Gould.

It's time for you to get over it.

AceAv

Juniors
Just hearing that gagai is performing well with no discipline breaches or issues at nc tells me they occurred here as a result of his poor attitude towards Broncos. Which for me, furthers my belief that Griffin snubbed him for chokely and gagai -who's just coming off from adolescence by the way. Breached the club's strict rules, which in turn took the over zealous approach and told him to move on..

I'm really unhappy about losing such a brilliant player -and his brother it seems. When we needed someone just like him to fill the holes of our 1,4,5 or 6.

For me this is the catalyst of my doubts for Griffin as a quality coach.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Yeah the Broncos handled the Gagai situation very badly, and as much as it hurts to see Gagai tear it up, unfortunately we have to move on. Even more damaging I think was the whole Inglis saga, imagine if he was playing for the Broncos right now.... sorry for opening up any old wounds! We have to move on.

Actually all of these rumours are starting to get me really depressed. Every time I can't help myself getting excited by the possibility of say Barba, and some other names that have been thrown about, coming to the Broncos.

But the one that has really hit me hard is the DCE one. Man that signing is just want the Broncos really need, a great quality half who has many years left him in, partnered with another half in Hunt who is still up and coming. Basically a perfect situation. And then an article came out saying DCE is happy at Manly and unlikely to leave, blah blah. And that just leaves me terribly depressed.

I know it is my fault for getting sucked into these rumours, but tbh I wish they would just stop.

Bretto

Bench
Rumours DCE will come back to Brisbane? Andrew Gee, please write DCE the biggest cheque you've ever written and get this kid locked into a 5 year deal. Then resign Ben Hunt to a further 3 years, so both players are on 5 year deals. You then build your side around these 2 halves.

Dazzat

First Grade
Just hearing that gagai is performing well with no discipline breaches or issues at nc tells me they occurred here as a result of his poor attitude towards Broncos. Which for me, furthers my belief that Griffin snubbed him for chokely and gagai -who's just coming off from adolescence by the way. Breached the club's strict rules, which in turn took the over zealous approach and told him to move on

In light of how they have moved players like Gagai on, it would be absolutely hypocritical for the club to even consider a player like Dugan.

The zero tolerance policy is NOT appropriate when working with young men. It only guarantees that you will be ushering many out the door before they have reached their potential. There needs to be another way to discipline players such as Gagai and Dugan who haven't broken any of society's laws, but a club code.

I was listening to an interview with Ian Chappell, talking about David Warner. He rightly made the point that if the private life of every Australian cricketer's teenage years was under investigation NONE would be deemed by the public to be eligible for the captain's role.

We need to cut these guys some slack (and I'm not referring to occasions when they breach the law).

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Why aren't the Broncos having a look at Taumalolo. He has been running around consistently in Q cup for a while now as he still can't crack the Cowboys team, and he would be a walk up start at the Broncos. He is definitely NRL standard imo and has a big future. Imagine our bench being:

14. Baptiste/Granville
15. Hard working prop
16. Taumalolo
17. Hala

That bench is screaming impact! We could offload Stagg and one of Sylney/Gibb. I assume he is on contract so would have to be given a release. I doubt the Cowboys would release him but surely it's fair given that the Cowboys took T Sims? :p

andrew057

First Grade
Why aren't the Broncos having a look at Taumalolo. He has been running around consistently in Q cup for a while now as he still can't crack the Cowboys team, and he would be a walk up start at the Broncos. He is definitely NRL standard imo and has a big future. Imagine our bench being:

14. Baptiste/Granville
15. Hard working prop
16. Taumalolo
17. Hala

That bench is screaming impact! We could offload Stagg and one of Sylney/Gibb. I assume he is on contract so would have to be given a release. I doubt the Cowboys would release him but surely it's fair given that the Cowboys took T Sims? :p

Taumalolo rejected big money from the Eels last season to re-sign for 3 years at the Cowboys.

They know what theyve got in him and are just bringing him along slowly, hes still only 19.

hooch is crazy

Juniors
Plenty of talent in the back row. Gillett, Glenn, Caleb Timu and Thaiday will be around for a while. Plus, Reed will end up there one day soon, too. Where he'll kill it. Hunt's only of use in first grade as a halfback/five-eighth, so as long as Granville plays to his potential, Prince's time could be up. Signing a young playmaker is still the way to go. Says me.

Coz87

Juniors
I think we should chase glen fish cheap and fast. Will chambers would also would be good. Brett white would be handy off the bench. I like drury low as a option for the wing. Sam Williams or Trent hodkinson.

Last edited: