What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

some11

Referee
All of those qualities you listed really only applied to his form at the Dragons, he needs to find that form again for it to be worth it and that will only happen if he's got his life sorted out off the field which hes taken active steps to do so.

We all wanted Milford at fullback but can we really count on his (lack of) experience and defence over an entire season?

Kiwi

First Grade
All of those qualities you listed really only applied to his form at the Dragons, he needs to find that form again for it to be worth it and that will only happen if he's got his life sorted out off the field which hes taken active steps to do so.

We all wanted Milford at fullback but can we really count on his (lack of) experience and defence over an entire season?

Look at what the Knights went through this year, his only bad year at the Knights, the entire squad was playing busted for most of the year.

Big Pete

Referee
Boyd was crud in 2012 too.

I don't remember 2013 being especially great either.

Maybe the break and move home will do him the world of good but like Benny, his stint at the Knights was a colossal disappointment.

Kiwi

First Grade
Boyd was crud in 2012 too.

I don't remember 2013 being especially great either.

Maybe the break and move home will do him the world of good but like Benny, his stint at the Knights was a colossal disappointment.

2 bad years in the last how many isn't to bad a strike rate though.

He was good in 2013 and part of the reason they got as far as they did.

I certainly think as long as he is sorted off the field he'll shine for us on the field if we get him. It's a big if though, I think part of getting Boyd would require a player moving on, that being Hoffman I would say.

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
Milford was decent at five eight from what I saw in the second half of the year for the Raiders. He will be much better than Barba.

Put Boyd at fullback. They can switch around in attack where necessary. And hodgo can swap with Boyd in attack occasionally too

Kiwi

First Grade
Milford was decent at five eight from what I saw in the second half of the year for the Raiders. He will be much better than Barba.

Put Boyd at fullback. They can switch around in attack where necessary. And hodgo can swap with Boyd in attack occasionally too

I think Barba is the better 6 than Milford, if we don't get Boyd the Milford should be our fullback

TheViking

Juniors

Both Milford and Barba where horrible at 5/8.

I would not be suprised if Boyd actually plays it. Wayne might say the opposite though do completely different. He seems the best player at 6 with Milford in the 1 and Barba and Hoffman no doubt shopped round. Can't afford them all.

Kiwi

First Grade
Our attack looked better with Barba in the 6 when we played what should have been our natural game all year, attacking unstructured footy. Whilst yes we need our forwards getting us momentum our attack was at it best in broken field and playing what was in front of them over set plays. I think people have gotten so hung up on Barba's poor form early on they failed to see how much he improved in the 6. Still work to do, but I think if Barba isn't our long term 6 solution we need to put Taylor in there from round 1 next year.

Dazzat

First Grade
From today's press conference with WB, looks like he'll be trying to get Boyd and Packer to the club. I believe he made a comment that he regarded Boyd as the best fullback prospect for the club.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Barba and Hoffman move on. I don't think Barba is Bennett's type of player.

I'd be happy for Packer to come to the club because I think Brisbane is the one place he could be mentored well by the likes of Webcke and maybe even big Civ.

We definitely need his type of player - a big blockhead for the middle of the ruck.

TheViking

Juniors
From today's press conference with WB, looks like he'll be trying to get Boyd and Packer to the club. I believe he made a comment that he regarded Boyd as the best fullback prospect for the club.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Barba and Hoffman move on. I don't think Barba is Bennett's type of player.

I'd be happy for Packer to come to the club because I think Brisbane is the one place he could be mentored well by the likes of Webcke and maybe even big Civ.

We definitely need his type of player - a big blockhead for the middle of the ruck.

You have one, Martin Kennedy. He is very similar and just as stupid.

I agree Barba & Milford surely won't be a pair Wayne will want. Maybe Milford.

Barba was far better in the 6, because Hoffman & Hodges looked far better in the 1. Hoffman is a horrible 6.

I think the best thing for Brisbane is to see if Barba can get a deal at Titans or Cowboys. Doubt either will pay anywhere near what he is on. Remember his first year was 350-400k like the Dogs were paying. Beyond that was more.

I think Milford, Boyd, Hunt, McCullough would be a good enough spine for them to be a genuine threat. It's essentially replacing Barba with Milford (very similar) though Barba is not the same as he was for the Dogs. Hoffman for Boyd well that's a clear win if it is in the 6. Even Milford is an upgrade. Hoffman is a shocking 6!

Kiwi

First Grade
Bennett did say he thought Milford was a special talent in the video so I would say he is a fan.

I don't know why people think the likes of Barba and Milford aren't Bennett type players.

gUt

Coach
My preferred backline

1. Milford
2. Hoffman/Boyd
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Vidot
6. Barba

Not a fan of Boyd. He's had a couple of good seasons and goes pretty well in the Maroons but overall I think he's ordinary.

If he's going to be our FB then I'd have Milford at 5/8 and Barba moved on.

Reed should be either bench or moved on. Moving Copley back to the wing is a mistake. If Hoffman won't play wing he needs to be let go too.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I find it strange that Bennett has showed his hand on the Packer issue. Even if he wanted him, he probably should have kept quiet until finding out if the NRL would register his contract.

I don't know that to make of the whole Boyd thing. We have plenty of fullbacks at the club but none are necessarily screaming for selection. Hoffman is a good fullback but has some obvious deficiencies that will always hold him back. Hodges showed some great late season form but his positioning, high ball skills and injuries suggest he is not a good long term option. Barba at his best would be ideal, but who knows whether we will see that again or not. Milford is probably our best current option, but he lacks experience and is also a good candidate for the 5/8 spot. Boyd has the same problem as Barba, lack of form.

Dazzat

First Grade
When I say Barba isn't Bennett's type of player - I mean his attitude not his ability. I think most people would agree that his attitude this year seemed disinterested most of the year. Bennett won't cop that, as opposed to Griffin who embraced it.

The spin of Boyd, Milford, Hunt, McCullough works for me, but of course a lot has to happen for Boyd to enter the frame. First he has to recover from his condition. Second he has to WANT to play footy again. And third, Brisbane have to fit him in under the salary cap (which may require offloading one or two players). All before February next year.

Snappy

Coach
Apparently we've signed Travis Waddell. Back up hooker I guess.

Also CM reporting that Hoffman could be gone by the end of the week, most likely to Warriors.

JW

Coach
Well if he's one these Beale types then obviously he really can't go soon enough. The talk has been going on forever and the fullback situation at the club is well documented.

Pity, as he's shown himself to be a very handy winger.

some11

Referee
That's the perfect comparison.

Beale looked great at fullback in 2011 running off Lockyer then backed it up with a heap of tries on the wing in 2012 before the slump began, then he keeps saying he wants to be starting fullback for another club - signs with the Dragons for 2013, does his ACL and ends up in the centres and can't even crack fullback again when they shift Dugan to centre.

When will these blokes learn the grass isn't always greener.

On another note the Warriors are considering shifting Tomkins to 5/8 to accommodate Hoffman at fullback..

[youtube]NRifKEf0xr8[/youtube]

Dazzat

First Grade
Hoffman has proven himself a prima donna. Agree with JW - Hoffman should realise his best position is wing.

Looking back its amazing that he played 5/8 for so long - truly delusional on the part of Griffin and Hoffman.