What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

hellteam

First Grade
Yep, we had to lose either Taylor or one/both of the Nikorima. I think we made the right choice. Hopefully Taylor goes to the Titans

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Well I guess the club has resolved that Hunt and Milford will be the halves for along time to come. They could be at No. 6 and 7 for the next five-six years, so why hold Taylor back?

Taylor will be ready to play first grade in the next year or two, so if he stays at the club he'll be bumping around the Intrust Super Cup when he could be in the NRL.

I think the club is doing the right thing by Taylor.

As far as back up ... not sure what the club has in mind, but I'd imagine the Nikorima brothers will be a priority.

This really is an unselfish play from Bennett, to the point I wish he'd be a little bit more selfish. Broncos have nothing to gain at all by releasing Taylor early.

I agree that Hunt and Milford could be our long term halves but it wouldn't take much for one of them to get a high ankle sprain, medial ligament etc and be out for weeks with no suitable back up.

Sure this gives us a much better chance of securing Jikorima, but do we really see Jayden as a potential half for the Broncos? It seems that the Nikorima brothers might just be impact hookers (but damn fine ones at that). So essentially we've kept two players that are basically the same, albeit one who might be more talented but has no NRL experience.

I understand people's opinion on this and it is more than possible that Taylor doesn't even make it, but it's hard not to be disappointed by the news.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
We just have to accept this for what it is. None of us expected the halves pairing of Milf and Hunt to be going as good as it is. Maybe it would've been looking better next year, but they have exploded out of the gates as a pairing.

It's tough on Taylor and it's tough on the club. I would bet it certainly isn't a good feeling for them knowing they're losing a talented player, but that's footy.

Milf and Hunt are both still young and playing the best footy of their careers and Milf isn't even 22. They're our future now because they are earning it.

Dazzat

First Grade
Parcell following the path of Ballin - from the Broncos the Manly.

One minute on the field last game proved Nikorima is the real deal.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Pretty annoyed by this tbh. McCullough is a good player, and granted this has been his best year, but he is really overrated at the Broncos.

Granville is in his first full year of NRL and is already better than McCullough.

Imagine a spine of:

1. Boyd
6. Milford
7. Hunt
9. Granville

We'd tear every team a new a$$hole. I was sort of ok with Granville going knowing we he had Parcell waiting in the wings. Now looks like Parcell is going and I reckon he'll be the same as Granville.

I love the Nikorima brothers but I don't see them dislodging McCullough as I don't think their defence is up to starting games and making a lot of tackles.

This would be been ideal:

1. Boyd
6. Milford
7. Hunt
9. Parcell

14. Kikorima/Jikorima

Salivating!

And send Macca off to Manly.

Bronco18

Juniors
Kahu and Glenn officially resigned until the end of 2017.

Good to see, but heck we have a hell of a contingent coming off contract when Bennett's contract ends...

Dazzat

First Grade
Vidot rumoured for rugby.

Stagg will be retiring.

Dodds rumoured for England.

Two of these three player movements concern me.

Stranga

Juniors
Damned you Roosters. Let's hope Nikorima does a Hodges and returns to have a stella career back with his brother.

I don't see us resigning his brother once his contract is up.

An inferior team with an unlimited salary cap such as Penriff or Parra will offer him 500k+.

Vaisefuder

Juniors
Disappointing, but the reality is he wan't getting a start anytime soon, and that kind of money is hard to ignore for an unblooded rookie.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Parcell, Taylor, Jikorima... That hurts!

I wasn't too upset to see Taylor go as I don't think he improves our 17. We've got Milford/Hunt, so Taylor would have to end up being very good to be better than both of those. Not saying it won't happen but it seems unlikely. And if Taylor is ready for NRL as Bennett suggests then we can't hold them back.

But in the case of Parcell and Jikorima, I believe that both of them would have improved our top 17 for 2016. In my opinion this would have been worth the risk:

1. Boyd
6. Milford
7. Hunt
9. Parcell

14. Jikorima

over our current:

1. Boyd
6. Milford
7. Hunt
9. McCullough

14. Kikorima

Dazzat

First Grade
Dodds gone to Super League. That's the second prop we've lost from the roster. Not sure where the replacements are going to come from.

Dazzat

First Grade
Ben Teo - strong rumours he'll be returning next year from France.

Was seen training at the Broncos gym during a trip home earlier in the year.

Would push Thaiday permanently up in the front row possibly, but what an awesome back row - Parker, Gillett and Teo.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Ben Teo - strong rumours he'll be returning next year from France.

Was seen training at the Broncos gym during a trip home earlier in the year.

Would push Thaiday permanently up in the front row possibly, but what an awesome back row - Parker, Gillett and Teo.

Teo to take Glenns spot?

More realistic that he will take a bench spot.

gUt

Coach
I was hoping that Thaiday would be able to return to the back row but I guess he's going to be a great prop under the new rules.

God damn next year is looking nice for us. Copley in for Hodges, top 4 here we come.

Dazzat

First Grade
I was hoping that Thaiday would be able to return to the back row but I guess he's going to be a great prop under the new rules.

God damn next year is looking nice for us. Copley in for Hodges, top 4 here we come.

Speaking of props with the new interchange next year, how awesome would Rod Griffin go. He played 80 minutes in the final and tested the line the entire game!

From what I read he was next cab off the rank if any of the Broncs front rowers were injured.

Dazzat

First Grade
Caleb Timu coming back. Gavet and Drew gone.

Still think we're think on props for next year McGuire, Blair, Wallace, Jo O, Molo ... and ... anyone else?

Thaiday I guess, but prefer him as a second rower.

One or two injuries and it's looking thin in the front row.